Handwash or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailspirit

Reaction score
Hello!
Greetings from Finland!

Was talking to my fellow nailtechs from Estonia and was quite shocked. Most of them told me that during their education tutors have been telling them not to wash their qlients hands before application!!! Actually they have been told that it is big NO NO to wash hands at least 2h before application.
Has anybody ever heard that overseas?

Thanks!:hug:

really? I wash or at the very least sanitize my clients hands, and always wash and and sanitize my own

Last edited:
I use an antiseptic spray on clients hands and hand sanitiser on my own.

Check the tutorial "Perfect Prep". This is by the GMG, and he states in this tutorial that he begins his prep with a handwash with soap and water. I didnt ask clients to handwash previously, but have done so since reading that tutorial.

Could someone please clarify whether you should include handwash in your prep? I am going to sanitise only now until someone confirms that a handwash WONT affect your service.

I was taught to wash or sanitise hands before the treatment

But I must say now I tend to sanitise the hands as opposed to asking clients to wash their hands

Million thanks from your answers but...

I am more confused now than i was in the morning :rolleyes:. What to think and what to do? Though i suppose I just continue with washing hands until i get an 100% firm answer that it will really affect the result. Now beeing even more careful when drying and cleaning the nail plate...

I am a nurse by education so good hygiene is quite stuck in my head...:lol:

Ok now i'm confused... I was always taught to sanitize, Not to wash anyone

Washing your hands does not affect the service afterwards (you're not soaking!).

In order for a hand sanitizer to work as it should, your hands should be washed first, anyway! I always have my clients wash their hands before any service, then sanitize... Never had problems...

All you have to do afterwards is to PREP properly, and use your Nail Fresh and Scrub Fresh (or the equivalent your company uses).

I thought Creative techs used Coolblue instead of washing?

Thanks kellym :hug:

Million thanks from your answers but...

I am more confused now than i was in the morning :rolleyes:. What to think and what to do? Though i suppose I just continue with washing hands until i get an 100% firm answer that it will really affect the result. Now beeing even more careful when drying and cleaning the nail plate...

I am a nurse by education so good hygiene is quite stuck in my head...:lol:
hi what i do is spray with sanitiser then after nail prep and fitting tips and filing i get them to wash, then place hands in dryer it gets rid of the extra germs and also the fllings.
Then i re spray with sanitiser - i have seen the most awful salon hygine in some places and ppl get infections so be safe then sorry!
only dont wash if it effects the lifting of the enhancements if not then wash away girl!

I thought Creative techs used Coolblue instead of washing?

Well, CoolBlue is a hand sanitizer.
So, wash first, CoolBlue afterwards.

well we've just been taught on the foundation course, to

wash your hands
get client to wash their hands
coolblue to sanitise
then prep etc

hths xxx

A hand sanitiser simply isn't enough.

Why?

Because a hand sanitiser doesn't remove debris, it just sanitises what is there (including guacamole under the free edge from last nights chips and salsa party!).

So what about nail plate swelling?

Simply washing the hands will not make the plates swell in a way that would promote lifting or bacterial infections. In fact, a proper preparation of the nail plate would remove any additional moisture cause from the washing.

Remember that if hand sanitisers were enough - surgeons wouldn't need to scrub before... er... surgeoning :)

Yes, that was the answer I needed to make peace with my mind :), thank you The Geek! Though i knew that inside my little head i needed that in black and white!
All the best to you all geeks, you are always a big help :hug:

I Was always taught at college to sanitise the hands with creatives cool blue

hi what i do is spray with sanitiser then after nail prep and fitting tips and filing i get them to wash, then place hands in dryer it gets rid of the extra germs and also the fllings.
Then i re spray with sanitiser - i have seen the most awful salon hygine in some places and ppl get infections so be safe then sorry!
only dont wash if it effects the lifting of the enhancements if not then wash away girl!

I have never heard of washing the hands after prepping and applying tips. If you get the hands wet and dont catch some water or soap when you dry them aren't you risking greenies etc? Have I just missunderstood? :lol:

I have never heard of washing the hands after prepping and applying tips. If you get the hands wet and dont catch some water or soap when you dry them aren't you risking greenies etc? Have I just missunderstood? :lol:
When I first had my nails done (15yrs ago), they used to do that. I never had any problems, but it's obviously not the ideal method.

There has been a slew of MRSA.
Simple soap and water handwashing can keep Staph infections at bay.
I found out today that a long term client of mine is a carrier, and I am totally disgusted. I want to shoot her, but since I will end up going to prison, I just can't bring myself to do it.
I use gloves and a mask and clean my work area between each client.
I wash my hands before starting a new client, boy am I not happy about this one particular customer.
Sorry about hi-jacking your post, but upon my research I have found as previously stated, the alcohol based cleansers are just not enough.
Did I say I was pissed? I need to learn some verbage on how to let my long term client go. She has a strain that can NOT be cured.
Im so disgusted!!!!

Latest posts

Back