Has anybody been to Rome? Need suggestions, please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails<3

Reaction score
Morning geeks :)

My boyfriend wants to take me to Rome for our 5th anniversary in November.

I'm going to be booking it etc as he is useless when it comes to organisation so I need some ideas of where to stay and go.

We are only going for 2 nights 3 days as cant get anymore time off work. I would like somewhere that is in a good location where we are pretty close to everything and have been looking at sites but the choices are so overwhelming that I don't want to pick somewhere awful.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated xxx

Have a look on the guardian website, they do great suggestions!
We just got back from Italy, I've never been shouted at more anywhere in the world! Lol they have a lot of rules :p
Have an amazing time! x

Have a look on the guardian website, they do great suggestions!
We just got back from Italy, I've never been shouted at more anywhere in the world! Lol they have a lot of rules :p
Have an amazing time! x

Haha really. Will be on my best behaviour. Will take a look.

Thank you x

You will love it !
We went for my husbands 40th a few yrs ago.
We stayed just on the outskirts of Rome in a lovely boutique hotel which had a hot tub up on the roof , I can tell you that was amazing after a long day of walking around, to refresh before starting again in the evening.
Loads to see and do, lovely food.
Sorry not much help really as I can't remember where exactly we stayed.

I remember we pre booked the Vatican to do 1 st thing one morning as it gets so busy ! Think we used viator and got good rates.
Definitely go to the colosseum too and get the tour it's really interesting.
The Spanish steps is a lovely area to just sit and people watch.
Would love to go back but too many other place on the list to tick off ! Xx

If you have time ...

Spanish Steps
The Forum (and I don't mean Salon Geek LOL)
Colosseum
Vatican City and St Peters Basilica
Circus Maximus
Trevi Fountain

The best way of course to get a glimpse of everything, is to take one of the hop on hop off bus tours.

Have a fab time, and don't forget to taste some of the wonderful gelato (ice-cream).

hotel Adriano in the centre of town. perfect for getting around and not overpriced. its within easy walking distance of all the major tourist sites. you won't want to spend all your time on buses and taxis. we went 6 years ago and haven't stopped talking about it since, really want to go back! have fun!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

How spooky - have just booked a trip here yesterday!

After a load of searching I decided on River Palace hotel as its in the Spainish Steps/Trevi Fountain area.

My partners been before and stayed centrally and advised its better to stay in the city so everything's walkable rather than have to travel in.

There were also some good packages coming through on Expedia so may be worth a look.

Bet wherever you book you'll have a fab time!

Rich :)

I am going to write it all down and sit down today and have a look through everything.

There are so many choices and don't want to pick the wrong one.

Thank you all for your help, it's given me a great start :). Xxx

Ooh I love Rome! Went there on my honeymoon years ago, never got round to going back &#128542;. Just to add, their driving skills are a bit erratic!! Scared me to death when I got in a taxi from the airport lol x

Fantastic choice, I'm living in Milano,Italy (@ actual time I'm in Manchester airport) heading home...when I'm back home,I send you some links,where its easy to see good places to go,I think also if you search on google,there is a suggestion how to do Rome in 3 days.. Cheers

Fantastic choice, I'm living in Milano,Italy (@ actual time I'm in Manchester airport) heading home...when I'm back home,I send you some links,where its easy to see good places to go,I think also if you search on google,there is a suggestion how to do Rome in 3 days.. Cheers

Ah that would be great. Thank you for the kind offer! X

Ooh I love Rome! Went there on my honeymoon years ago, never got round to going back &#128542;. Just to add, their driving skills are a bit erratic!! Scared me to death when I got in a taxi from the airport lol x

Haha no different to my driving then. Will fit right in :) x

oh a tip for you, if you get a taxi make sure its an official one as unlicensed drivers approach you in the taxi queue offering their services then go the long way round and charge a fortune!

I have just come back my husband took me for my birthday. We stayed in the hotel Columbia our room was 408 it was lovely. Roof top terrace where we had breakfast. It was very close to loads of great places to eat. Very near bus station and tube station. We got a 3 day pass for £15 each you could use pass on bus or tube. We saw everything I think. Hotel was rated very good on trip advisor x

This is definitely worth a look whilst in Rome very weird and morbid but amazing!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capuchin_Crypt

We stayed in Capena just outside of Rome in a refurbished medieval monastery and it was lovely. Rome seemed a bit too hectic for us and it was nice to see some rural Italy it felt like being on a film set.

http://www.casacapena.com/

Public transport is brilliant in Italy took us an hour max to get to Rome by bus and metro just make sure your aware of any public holidays and everything comes to a stand still.
A lovely local had to take us to the train station when we left as it was all saints day he wouldn't accept a penny for his trouble and stayed and made sure we got the train. We only went in October and are already thinking of going back again this year xxx

Another tip for you, and an important one at that.

When sightseeing in Rome, be very wary of the pickpockets who are well known to be very active, especially at popular tourist sights. Only take the minimum of cash out with you, and that goes for bank cards and jewellery too.

Oh yes we were warned to be careful of anyone in costume around the colosseum they get you to pose for pictures with them and pick pocket you apparently xxx

Another tip for you, and an important one at that.

When sightseeing in Rome, be very wary of the pickpockets who are well known to be very active, especially at popular tourist sights. Only take the minimum of cash out with you, and that goes for bank cards and jewellery too.

Unfortunately yes this is true,pickpockets worldwide problem :( and especially in metro,big tourist sites,etc.. Rome pass,big big saver,gives you discount,and some extra insights on where to go,free rides on metro,busses etc.

Rome Three Day Itinerary - What to Do and See with 3 Days in Rome Italy

I don't know what you like to see,but me myself was incredible impressed of the art in Villa Borghese,some of the most beautiful work by Bernini

You do need to book in advance your tickets,as it has limited visitors every day. You can not do a booking just a few weeks ahead,as it is already full booked. So for November you should be good to book now.
Galleria Borghese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You do have to go to Vatican City,see all the great work by Leonardo,and don't miss to go inside the big chapel after when you are done,the actual dome that they use today for theire mess.

The Spanish stairs, Fontana di Trevi, the Pantheon,the old Rome is fab...

to be honest,,, colosseum is great from the outside,it is very impressive,but actually on the inside,it is not soooo spectacular,but yet again,depends on every persons taste.

Make sure you have Very Extremely comfortable shoes....for sure needed.

One of my fav little restaurants in Rome is this one,difficult to find,but lovely food Ristorante Toscano Il Buco - Centro Storico - Roma

And also a nice cafe,lounge bar,is Anima Mundi,very friendly owner,he used to live in UK,so very helpfull and great guy.

Anima Mundi, Rome - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Ok,I hope it helps you a little on the way...

Rome is,and will never stop to surprise you by it's beauty,and art...
Ciao from Milano

I live in Rome, feel free to message me if you want any information <3

oh a tip for you, if you get a taxi make sure its an official one as unlicensed drivers approach you in the taxi queue offering their services then go the long way round and charge a fortune!

This is absolutely true :-(((

Latest posts

Back