has anyone ever dyed anything in their washing machine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loualarta

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I was just wondering if anyone has ever dyed anything in their washing machine like with those little dylon things. I have just started doing spray tanning and was told by someone (the people I got my machine from) that they buy really cheap white towels and gowns amd dye them in the washing machine black as the darker towels seem to be a lot more expensive. Im just worried that it will turn the next lot of washing the same colour. If anyone knows I would be grateful for some help:eek:

I dyed some curtains navy blue they turned out fab what I did was put my machine through a pre wash before I did my next load of washing and nothing turned blue:hug:

My mum dyed some of our clothes once, you need to be really careful I think you need to run the washing machine through after to make sure it's all out.

I have - Got red hair dye on an expensive white bathrobe while doing my hair a few years ago so bought some Dylon and followed the instructions and had no probs. Warning its really addictive! I went a bit dye crazy after that and started dying everything in site!

Can I ask what you need the towels for? just nosey ~ I spray tan and dont use any towels? I use a white gown which was £6 from Asda and have never had any problems with staining, just wash it as normal and it comes up good as new.
Pretty sure you need a couple of the dye capsules and a packet of salt per a load - so its not that cheap to do, for all the hassle you might be better using white or buying a couple of darker towels.
HTH
KxXx

good advice girlies i think I will do it then do a 95 with pre wash to make sure its out. I think its coz its sooo dark its making me think its gonna linger

loualarta said:
Hi geeks, I was just wondering if anyone has ever dyed anything in their washing machine like with those little dylon things. I have just started doing spray tanning and was told by someone (the people I got my machine from) that they buy really cheap white towels and gowns amd dye them in the washing machine black as the darker towels seem to be a lot more expensive. Im just worried that it will turn the next lot of washing the same colour. If anyone knows I would be grateful for some help:eek:
Hi!
I've used dylon a few times to dye some of my clothes its qwite eaise to use,there is an instuctions sheet inside the box that tells you what to do etc.As fare as i can remember you do a rinse with the machine after you've done the dye you want so you shouldn't dye anything else.

good luck with what you want to do.:hug:

nemotail said:
Can I ask what you need the towels for? just nosey ~ I spray tan and dont use any towels? I use a white gown which was £6 from Asda and have never had any problems with staining, just wash it as normal and it comes up good as new. Pretty sure you need a couple of the dye capsules per a load - so its not that cheap, for all the hassle you might be better using white or buying a couple of darker towels.
HTH
KxXx

I wanted them for people to stand on, I just thought when im spraying it would look nicer if any tan gets on it you wont see it

loualarta said:
Hi geeks, I was just wondering if anyone has ever dyed anything in their washing machine

Nope, apart from the time I put my hubby's wallet in the wash that is ... the contents came out nice and clean though :lol:

Noodle said:
Nope, apart from the time I put my hubby's wallet in the wash that is ... the contents came out nice and clean though :lol:

Tutt tutt laundering your money!!! PMSL:lol:

tentips said:
Tutt tutt laundering your money!!! PMSL:lol:

I laughed ... he didn't find it amusing at all.

there should be no problems, the dye is very easy to use, just make sure you do not overload the machine as the finish will be patchy.make sure your items are 100% cotton or you wont acheive a strong colour. to be sure your machine is clean afterwards, you can add a capfull of bleach to the machine and run a hot wash after you have finished.

I do it when my favorite tshirts fade a little I'll dye them, only once mind, I wouldn't want anyone to think I drag them on for years and years:lol: The big thing is not to overload the machine and stick to the weight limit for the dye or it goes patchy, or mine did the first time I did it. I was quite shocked how little each one actually does by weight.

Agree totally that putting the machine through an empty wash is a must too afterwards :)

I tried to dye a lime green fleece a nie pink colour before and the only bit that took was the lining on the inside of the logo! Needless to say I wasn't too chuffed!

Latest posts

Back