Has anyone use the Hawley Illume system?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siulum1314

Reaction score
I tried using the exfoliate on all other services including gel and acrylics because it was stated that it can be used in conjunction to any other nail services to remove the true cuticle, oil and contaminants, even the Hawley educator said it was fine to use on all other enhancement services as she demonstrated the illume product line to us. but ive had soo many complaints about lifting and enhancements falling off after the first few days which was such a hassel as i had to reapply the enhancements in the traditional etching way to guaruntee the adhesion. it works better with acrylics, but still lifting after first few days, not as much though.

I seriously don't think just exfoliating the nail plate can replace the manual etching because i havent had any positive feedbacks from my clients about it

Have you tried this new system on your own nails,
you need to do yourself a set and give them a full road test to see how they really last,
if you have told your clients that you are using a new system they will blame that for every fault that they can find, even if it is down to their own home care hth

Have you tried this new system on your own nails,
you need to do yourself a set and give them a full road test to see how they really last,
if you have told your clients that you are using a new system they will blame that for every fault that they can find, even if it is down to their own home care hth

yes, of cos i have tried it on myself prior to using it on clients to test out the results, maybe because i used it on acrylics which the results were fine with better adhesion but lifting after 2-3 weeks which were understandable, but how would i have thought that it doesnt work at all with gels because it was advertised how good it is and that it is compatible with all nail services and products

They can't say that it's compatible with all other products. They don't test the results with all other products.

You should only be exfolliating the nail plate with the file anyway.

I have read that it can lead to lifting if it's not removed properly.

I have been to a demo day with the Illume.. The educator said that there is no need to file the natural nail that the exfoliator will do it.... but i must say that the educator did a nail for me and within a day there was lifting all the way around the nail.. I was going to buy a trial kit but decided against it as i had heard from a few other techs that the product was lifting quiet badly.

If you tried it on your self and it wasn;t 100% why did you use it on so many clients?..
If i am going to try anything new i have my best friend and mum as test dummies and they have a full set and at least 1 infill , if not 2, to make sure that all is well before it goes any where near my clients..

Hope you sort it out.. call the company and get some back up.. ask for someone to show you one on one ..
Mel

as far as I know "exfoliate" should only be used with the hawley acrylic system, it's also important to use the correct instruments to remove the cuticle (you can't just rely on exfoiliate), all traces of exfoiliate should be removed before priming and applying.

Exfoiliate does not remove oils .... I can't understand why you were told this.
They have a product called "Hydrofresh" for this purpose and it is very important they are used together.

This system works very well if used correctly. I used it for quite some time.

I used the Illume system for some time. Initially I had probs with lifting. The exfoliator has to be removed thoroughly after use.
Even though the product is not ratio sensitive I found that it needs to be worked fairly dry. If you work too wet it will cause lifting. I always used two coats of primer. I found that using the product as I was shown to let it self level lead to lifting also. If used as a lot of other systems and pressed and patted its fine.
In the end my clients were going three weeks with no lift whatsoever.
I ditched the exfoliator and did normal prep though.
I liked Illume a lot but it was too slow setting in my cooler climate.
I still use the exfoliator on my manicure clients and love it for that.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back