Hate being self employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there anyway that you can keep the salon going and getting a part time job say for a few months so that you can have some respite?

I cant really think of a way that I could do this as I have already thought about it and cant see a way.

What will happen to your mother if you close down? Does she also need to find herself job or can she survive without one? I feel that it's a shame that you cannot plan this together. Could you employ someone?

She wouldnt have to find another job really as the salon doesnt really pay her. We are meant to be taking someone on who is meant to start next month but I'm worried about taking someone on if I feel this way.

What exactly is her role in the salon?
Can she take over more of the running of the business?

She doesnt have much of a business head. Shed give everything away for nothing.

Have a day off completely. You will feel so much better for it. No paperwork no physical work nothing! Xx

I think I need to do this just relax.

Oh dani your salon is your future.
Do you really want to get paid nmw working for someone else knowing how much your bringing in.

It's hard to begin with but keep going

Is mum hard work in the salon?

Yeah she can be hard work a bit lazy and could help more. Shes difficult as she says oh I dont want much from here but then she will throw it back in your face aswell. Sometimes would be easier if she wasnt there. I appreciate all her help dont get me wrong. Also my other trouble is we have kitted the salon out it looks a differant place now and dont want to waste all the hard work. If someone walked in and took over it and employed me I would be happy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Why not sack your Mum & see how you feel after a while of her not being there. It may change your perception?

Why not sack your Mum & see how you feel after a while of her not being there. It may change your perception?

She wont go I have tried and if I really made her leave she would hate me for it. I think in her head she does more than she does in reality. Frustrating

Do you know what I think you should do dani?? Take a week off. Leave your mum to man the salon for a week while you have time to evaluate what you really want. It sounds like your suffering from burn out. By the end of the holiday you will either be a. Raring to go or b. ready to call it quits. Good luck whatever you decide xx

Such an interesting thread- I'm talking the leap into self employment giving up my regular wage in a few weeks- I'm really scared but I just don't think working for others is for me to be honest lol! This thread has both scared and inspired me!

Dani, having a difficult Mother myself, I really feel for you! If your Mum didn't work there any longer and you could work alongside another therapist, would you feel any better about things?
I am wondering whether the self employment / salon is the problem or whether it is working with your Mum that is making you feel this way? X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Does your mum have set hours/days? Could you imply these to ensure she had a few days off when your in to give you a break? This is after you've had your full day/s off. I think this is solvable without throwing the towel in xxx

Hi,
I had my own salon i'm going back over 10 years though now so before things got saturated, but my mum did come in to help to get me started up but sometimes she can be difficult to the point i think she scared people away with too much chat & her opinions on things which sometimes people just don't want to hear.

Also if i said something she didn't like she would sulk & storm off, not much help,
but i didn't live with her so that helped, & eventually she would not come in anymore because she lived quite a distance, i did appreciate her help financially though.

I sold my salon after 5 years at which point i was doing really well but i had just had twins so couldn't cope, but looking back i wish i found a way, but it is hard dealing with all the paperwork i know.

Basically i'm saying that 2 years is still quite new for a business if you can give it a bit more you will start to make more money as you say you are doing well & you say you have made the salon look nice now, would you really want someone coming in & employing you.

Could you say to your mum maybe come in one day to do reception a week? sorry if this is not helping but just trying to give ideas how to help, i hope you resolve this.

Ok, so I don't really know what kind of salon you have, opening times, and what you offer but it sounds like you have managed to build up a good business in the two years you have bee open, so it would make sense to look at trying to keep something going if possible.

I was once told that there is always 4 solutions to a problem, so I have given this some thought.

Solution 1 is obviously to close. But I agree with Alex, that there are possibilities that you may not be aware of, or that sound too complicated.

I do think that you are burnt out, so the energy that you may need to move forward positively is lacking. And you mention that you have a new member of staff joining you soon, that will need some attention too. BUT the positive of that move is that it will change the dynamics of your situation with your mother just by her being there. So bear that in mind.

I think that you need a break, to clear your mind and to discover what it really is that you want.

I'm not sure where you are in the country, are there any geeks near you that you think would drop by and have a chat, and give you some objective advice? There are some very clever business people on here, and I'm sure someone would be willing to help.

Are there any groups that offer business guidance in your area? Maybe they would be worth a call. Even something as simple as getting someone to do your books (or help you) might take that pressure off you.

Also, and I know this is a long shot, but I have thought about this for a while. So many qualified therapists and nail techs are looking for an opportunity to get started with their business, could you offer someone a "work experience" week or two, just to come and work in your salon in exchange for the experience of it?
You would profit by getting a break (if you could leave them to it for say days 3, 4 and 5) so that all your clients are still being catered for and your mother is there to hold the fort so there would be no worries about money issues. You also might be inspired by some of the ideas and things that they bring you.
It would need to be someone from far away enough that there is no threat to your business from poaching clients, of course.
I would have loved an opportunity like this before I started out.

Also, not sticking up for your mother, but maybe she is not saying much because she believes that this way she wont influence your decision.
If you do stay with the salon, send her on a book keeping course so that she is keeping up to date with her career, can help you out with the business side of things (or at least realise her strengths and weaknesses) and she is out from under your feet for a while :wink2:

Some good advice here so thanks everyone for your time. I think maybe I am burnt out. Maybe a nice spa day might do me some good lol!

Do you know what I think you should do dani?? Take a week off. Leave your mum to man the salon for a week while you have time to evaluate what you really want. It sounds like your suffering from burn out. By the end of the holiday you will either be a. Raring to go or b. ready to call it quits. Good luck whatever you decide xx

this sounds like a good idea some time away to see if I miss it. There is a lot going on at home aswell which is added stress. I think I am looking for a way out when really there isnt one. Maybe get the new girl in and she might help me find my wee lost energy. I love my salon would be so hard to let it go.

Such an interesting thread- I'm talking the leap into self employment giving up my regular wage in a few weeks- I'm really scared but I just don't think working for others is for me to be honest lol! This thread has both scared and inspired me!

good luck hun ♥

Dani, having a difficult Mother myself, I really feel for you! If your Mum didn't work there any longer and you could work alongside another therapist, would you feel any better about things?
I am wondering whether the self employment / salon is the problem or whether it is working with your Mum that is making you feel this way? X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

i probably would and when the nee girl starts I would like to cut my mums hours down aswell. My mum does drain me alot and living with her working with her is hard work. I think I need a good kick up the bum!

Does your mum have set hours/days? Could you imply these to ensure she had a few days off when your in to give you a break? This is after you've had your full day/s off. I think this is solvable without throwing the towel in xxx

she is in all day every day with me hoping to cut her days down when the new girl starts and only have her in2 days a week. I feel better today than I did yesterday about trying to push on. Think I just needed to get it of my chest but I do miss just a set income. I wish the salon was in a position where I could say £xx a month if that makes sense.

Hi,
I had my own salon i'm going back over 10 years though now so before things got saturated, but my mum did come in to help to get me started up but sometimes she can be difficult to the point i think she scared people away with too much chat & her opinions on things which sometimes people just don't want to hear.

Yeah my mum is happy to sit and chat away all day which does p*ss me off when theres stuff she could be getting on with she thinks its her business when its not.

Also if i said something she didn't like she would sulk & storm off, not much help,
but i didn't live with her so that helped, & eventually she would not come in anymore because she lived quite a distance, i did appreciate her help financially though.

That is exactly what my mum is doing its driving me nuts. I do appreciate her help but she does drive me mad sometimes.

I sold my salon after 5 years at which point i was doing really well but i had just had twins so couldn't cope, but looking back i wish i found a way, but it is hard dealing with all the paperwork i know.

See maybe I will regret it if I do it. I think I might set a date and if by then I dont feel better I know what to do.

Basically i'm saying that 2 years is still quite new for a business if you can give it a bit more you will start to make more money as you say you are doing well & you say you have made the salon look nice now, would you really want someone coming in & employing you.

Could you say to your mum maybe come in one day to do reception a week? sorry if this is not helping but just trying to give ideas how to help, i hope you resolve this.

it does help a lot thank you!!

Ok, so I don't really know what kind of salon you have, opening times, and what you offer but it sounds like you have managed to build up a good business in the two years you have bee open, so it would make sense to look at trying to keep something going if possible.

I was once told that there is always 4 solutions to a problem, so I have given this some thought.

Solution 1 is obviously to close. But I agree with Alex, that there are possibilities that you may not be aware of, or that sound too complicated.

I do think that you are burnt out, so the energy that you may need to move forward positively is lacking. And you mention that you have a new member of staff joining you soon, that will need some attention too. BUT the positive of that move is that it will change the dynamics of your situation with your mother just by her being there. So bear that in mind.

I think that you need a break, to clear your mind and to discover what it really is that you want.

I think a break is well needed and im hoping the new girl will bring me a bit of energy like a bit of a fresh start!

I'm not sure where you are in the country, are there any geeks near you that you think would drop by and have a chat, and give you some objective advice? There are some very clever business people on here, and I'm sure someone would be willing to help.

Yes there is a couple lovely geeks who have offered to help.

Are there any groups that offer business guidance in your area? Maybe they would be worth a call. Even something as simple as getting someone to do your books (or help you) might take that pressure off you.
I will have a look into this :)!
Also, and I know this is a long shot, but I have thought about this for a while. So many qualified therapists and nail techs are looking for an opportunity to get started with their business, could you offer someone a "work experience" week or two, just to come and work in your salon in exchange for the experience of it?

I could advertise this and see how it goes :)

You would profit by getting a break (if you could leave them to it for say days 3, 4 and 5) so that all your clients are still being catered for and your mother is there to hold the fort so there would be no worries about money issues. You also might be inspired by some of the ideas and things that they bring you.
It would need to be someone from far away enough that there is no threat to your business from poaching clients, of course.
I would have loved an opportunity like this before I started out.

Also, not sticking up for your mother, but maybe she is not saying much because she believes that this way she wont influence your decision.
If you do stay with the salon, send her on a book keeping course so that she is keeping up to date with her career, can help you out with the business side of things (or at least realise her strengths and weaknesses) and she is out from under your feet for a while :wink2:

Shes not saying anything because she thinks Im being stupid if I do it because basically shes in the background and she can see how good things are going. Maybe I am being a bit hasty.

I think I need a couple of days to sit back relax get away and then come back wiyh a clear head and go from there. If I come back and want to give it a go I want to look at all aspects of my business and see where I can improve. I do love a challenge and I think thats part of the problem I am not being challenege enough just now.

Thank you thank you thank you everyone! ♥

Ahhh! Just contacted the new girl to make sure everything was ok for next week and she said shes found another job. Why does this happen? :-(

Don't worry you will find someone else. ((Hugs)). Book that week off xx

I was feeling better for a minute now Im gutted again :-(

Keep your chin up Hun it will work out x take a break n relax then you'll be able to see things clearer x sorry you're having such a **** time xxx

I was feeling better for a minute now Im gutted again :-(

It's happened for a reason. Someone better for you is waiting around the corner xx

I'm probably not a typical case as I've never had a sleepless night over business (I've never been a worrier), and I only work 4 and a half days a week (I refuse to work after lunchtime on a Saturday, and never after 5.00pm on a weekday), and take about 8 weeks holiday a year (made up of 6 weeks holidaying and the rest odd Saturdays that I have off for morris dancing)! There's not many jobs in my locality where I could have all that, do a job I enjoy and be on that sort of money.

The same Martin, so far, I have not had a sleepless night lol. I'm like you Martin. I don't want world domination, I don't want to be famous. I would like to be a fantastic therapist, be knowledgeable and to definitely keep up to date with the current trends in the beauty world. That is why, I update my skills as you mentioned and meet other Therapists.

I do respect the original poster who admitted that she (or he?) does not like self-employment. Many would pretend that this is fabulous and working brilliantly for them. Generally speaking, it is the same old really. Some think that being your own boss means that you can work when you like and be in total control. That is correct to some degree, but you to have to put the work in. Working hard, then eventually working smart.

I'd prefer to pick the bones out of self employment though, i.e, think of the positives and not harp on and on about the negatives. Just what you put in really, whether it is hard financial times or not....

I may have gone off tangent... allow me, lol.

This is a great idea and perhaps she could work from home doing your books and other marketing & promotions? It would keep her out of the salon and give you a bit of space?

Thanks everyone. I think once I have a new stylist I will get her out lol. I know a girl who is interested but she is just finishing her level 3 just now. She has been junioring in salons for 4/5 years.

Dani04 I know how you feel im going through abit of a hard time not with my mother. But just in general having a salon not been able to find any staff good enough who can take over another member of staff who has dropped her hours im working all hours. Or finding someone you can trust, trouble with landlord.I feel the same. All stress who says been self employed is amazing after 7 years iv hit a brick wall I think. :-(

Thanks everyone. I think once I have a new stylist I will get her out lol. I know a girl who is interested but she is just finishing her level 3 just now. She has been junioring in salons for 4/5 years.

Just from going on what you say here, someone who has been junioring in salons and is finishing a level three could be welcoming of an opportunity to progress and could hopefully bring enthusiasm to your salon as a result of that.

Latest posts

Back