Hate spray tanning now

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hausofhana

Reaction score
I've been spray tanning since may and I've had a consistent problem. No matter what I do, I always get running of the solution on the back of the clients knee, sometimes on inner arm, chest and shin.
It always ends up okay, but it's really getting me down and god knows what my clients think with me dabbing at them constantly!
My speed is okay as it's fine at every other part of the body, I use suntana and im very unsure about gun settings!

Help geeks x

What gun are you using? X

Umm I'm not sure but my machine is a Maximist lite.. I'm very ignorant about the technicalities of my machine so please forgive me!

Sounds to me like you are spraying too close to the skin, or maybe too slow in these areas, if you could tell us what gun you are using we might be able to talk you through the settings but my best advice would be to contact the people you bought the gun from and ask what they recommend you set the gun at. As you become more proficient you will more than likely need to adjust the gun again as newbies almost always keep their guns at a lower setting to reduce the risk of runs and wet patches. Also have a little search on here for your gun and I am sure you will find loads of info regarding the settings required.

Last edited:
Wasn't maintenance and settings covered in your training? Usually you will get taught how to take it apart and put it back together for cleaning at least. Have you checked your manual and training documentation to see if it has a little "Quick Start" section

Umm I'm not sure but my machine is a Maximist lite.. I'm very ignorant about the technicalities of my machine so please forgive me!

Please dont let this dishearten you. You have worked hard to get where you are and all it takes is practice. The best thing to do is spray as lightly as possible and turn down the amount of tan comming out of the gun. If you need to respray this is a lot easier to do than trying to fix a running tan resulting from overspray.
The problem is certainly from spraying too much solution on your client but with practice this can be rectified and as others have advised just contact whoever you purchased the machine from and find out how to adjust it.

Best of luck ;)

Wasn't maintenance and settings covered in your training? Usually you will get taught how to take it apart and put it back together for cleaning at least. Have you checked your manual and training documentation to see if it has a little "Quick Start" section

No, maintenance wasn't covered other than running water through your gun after a tan really. Yes it does have a manual actually, I will definitely have a good look today. Any idea why it's always the back of the knee though? I've thought about maybe spraying the thighs, waiting till they are dry and then coming back to the bottom half of the leg, but not sure if it would make a difference...

Grrr so frustrating! x

No, maintenance wasn't covered other than running water through your gun after a tan really. Yes it does have a manual actually, I will definitely have a good look today. Any idea why it's always the back of the knee though? I've thought about maybe spraying the thighs, waiting till they are dry and then coming back to the bottom half of the leg, but not sure if it would make a difference...

Grrr so frustrating! x
try and look for some videos on YouTube, they helped me when I first cleaned my gun x

I would think if it is the back of knee, inside of arm and chest area, these are areas we usually turn the gun or the solution lands and can pool in the little hollows. Pull the gun back just a tad, be conscious of the angle you are holding it at and dont spray slower than other areas of the body. If the spray is moving slower over the skin, more is landing if you understand what I mean. Also while it is so hot and muggy the tan can seem tackier and take longer drying.

Good luck and just keep practising. As long as you dont have solution running and dripping the final tan should be fine. Personally I would leave it dry off without dabbing if it isn't running

It would probably mess with your routine making it easier to forget or overspray areas. Stick with the routine you were taught in training and it will get better. I am sure we have all seen Nightmare Tans done by inexperienced techs but we all have to start somewhere and if you are getting good results after only a couple of months you obviously are doing something right so be patient and keep practising. The first five or ten are difficult and then it gets easier every time. It is my FAVORITE treatment and I just love the instant feel good factor. I struggled when I first started ( probably before you were born. LOL) With much less sophisticated equipment and smelly solutions that almost always ran the risk of looking orange. :lol: That is my excuse for the struggles and I am sticking to it. Ha Ha

Grrr so frustrating! x

It would probably mess with your routine making it easier to forget or overspray areas. Stick with the routine you were taught in training and it will get better. I am sure we have all seen Nightmare Tans done by inexperienced techs but we all have to start somewhere and if you are getting good results after only a couple of months you obviously are doing something right so be patient and keep practising. The first five or ten are difficult and then it gets easier every time. It is my FAVORITE treatment and I just love the instant feel good factor. I struggled when I first started ( probably before you were born. LOL) With much less sophisticated equipment and smelly solutions that almost always ran the risk of looking orange. :lol: That is my excuse for the struggles and I am sticking to it. Ha Ha

Well that's it, my results are always great and no complaints, it's just the initial spraying which is becoming a problem if the girls are wanting to wear the guide colour out.. I've got a tan at 3 o'clock, so I will think about these little factors and get back to y'all after!

Ah I love SG, feeling a bit more relaxed now x

Turn your gun down a bit

hey hun! The girls above have already answered your question however I have a "similar-ish" issue.

In the same areas you are talking about sometimes when I spray the area is more wet looking there and it looks "dotted" my personal opinion is that it may be "hot spots" in the skin, their skin may be more poreous in that area causing the tan to react differently there, I may be talking complete nonsceience so sorry if I am but its just from my experience i'm taking a guess why it happens in the same area in some clients (not all)

The solutions doesnt run though, it just reacts differently to the skin and sinks in fine and washes off great :)

I've found that Suntana doesn't have the best guide colour... I love the solution but do find the guide colour isn't as dark, maybe you don't think you are spraying that much on as you can't see it properly. Maybe try a solution with a darker guide colour x

If the guide colour is a possible issue I would suggest you invest in good lighting before changing solutions as the light will be cheaper than changing brands.

You need to make sure your using a twisted daylight bulb that gives of white light not yellow light, here is a site that has a cool little thing that shows the difference in the light of normal bulbs and daylight bulbs:
Choosing Daylight Bulbs - How to Choose your Light bulb — (UK) Light bulbs, halogen lamps, spot lights and tubes by mail order in the UK

I use one of these:
CLIP ON SPOT LIGHT LAMP BAYONET SHELF DESK BED CLAMP 2M | eBay

With a twisted bulb as they reduce shadows:
Mini Spiral CFL - 11W - B22 - 240V - 5600K (Daylight) Light Bulb | eBay

It seems that theproblem areas always seem to be the areas where the skin is the thinnest, behind the knees (armpits as well) shins, insides of arms, and of course the front of the chest is at a slightly differnet angle so can catch overspray from the face shoulders etc. so I would say just be aware of this problem and work around it. The whole reason for barrier creams is to protect certain areas from getting too much DHA but I would not barrier cream these as once they have had their wash off it almost always seems good, except when you start messing with it. LOL

DOnt worry too much. If your clients are coming back you are doing OK

Last edited:
Tanfastic, just did my tan and really CONCENTRATED. And it was fine! I just thought about it, release the gun a tad more at the knee and it was perfect! I think I was getting a bit complacent, happier now! x

I would say just turn the gun down a little don't give up u will learn from your mistakes :)

Hi salon geeks
Im in need of help, I have been trained in spray tanning and did use California spray tan and had no problems, since getting the crazy angel machine I can't use less than 4oz?? I tried undoing the gun so it was a bit looser but it just sprayed out on his own :( its a brilliant product but I don't want to use to much and I'm baffled how you can only use 2oz???
*****please help****

Latest posts

Back