Have you ever thought nails just aren't for you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekling

Reaction score
Just a question really geeks,
Iv been trying to do nails for a year or so now, I really struggle with enhancements and I'm beginning to wonder...maybe nails just aren't for me! If I struggle so much after training and more training maybe I'm better suited to the massage and beauty side of things!

Have any of you nail geeks felt like this before or have nails always come naturally to you? :) xx

Iv been trying to do nails for a year or so now, I really struggle with enhancements and I'm beginning to wonder...maybe nails just aren't for me! If I struggle so much after training and more training maybe I'm better suited to the massage and beauty side of things!

Have any of you nail geeks felt like this before or have nails always come naturally to you? :) xx

Are you making money from the nail side?

Do you enjoy it?

No, not making any money. Been trying to do mobile but I just don't think my skills are worth paying for no matter how much I practice xx

I first qualified in L&P (CND) in 2001...and I really disliked doing nails. My heart really wasn't in it at all...I only did the course because I was working in a hair salon at the time and my boss wanted me to do the course...I paid for it etc and spent a fortune starting up...but I really, really disliked it. I only did literally a couple of sets after the course...there was nothing wrong with the course, I just didn't enjoy doing nails.

So carried on doing reception work, then ecommerce etc...

However a couple of years ago I decided to do a year long NVQ in Nail Services and absolutely LOVE doing nails now, I just needed the confidence and support...I'm SO gutted that I didn't stick with it in the first place...I think of how much I could've done by now and kick myself.

For example, when I met Justine Crick a few weeks ago, we discovered that we had both qualified in the same year...but look at how much she has done with nails?...her work is absolutely amazing!

So my mission now is to do as many CND courses as I can...as perfect practice makes perfect...and I want to be a CND Master.

Its all about the confidence and wanting to learn more...so even if you do feel like you don't want to offer it as a service at the moment...keep practicing and maybe one day you will...its such a good trade to learn...ladies will ALWAYS want their nails done x

Hey, I feel exactly the same never really happy with the end results but love doing gel just not acrylic... It's so disheartening when you try to put your all in to it! I much prefer to be in my treatment room x

I see you do lots of other treatments. Maybe now is not the right time for you to be doing nails then.

I do beleive that what ever you do you must love what you are doing, you need to have a passion for it.

If you are not feeling it right now perhaps put it on the back burner and maybe in the future you might want to return to the nail side of things.

How old are you BTW?

Thanks for the replies, it's nice to know others have the same thing, I adore nails and I really enjoy looking at all the fabulous work done on here, doing nail art and generally anything nails! I love them, it's just so frustrating for me that I can't do enhancements, I only do gels as I studied them in my level 2 beauty and then went on to do a brisa conversion with CND.

I'm qualified in lots of treatments but I only want to offer nails & spray tanning mobile. I'm 19 xxx

Don't be too hard on yourself. Creating beautiful nails takes time; it's not a skill one can pick up in a few days.

You can do 1-2-1s with your educator and they will be able to work with you and point you in the right direction. They'll see exactly what you need to work on and tell you what you need to do. It's intense and you can have an hour or as much time as you need with them.

Grab a bunch of tips and just go for it, sit down and take a good few hours and practice putting the gel on - the great thing with gel is that you can use the same bead for a good while.

Watch the CND/fingernail fixer videos on youtube. And read the articles and tutorials here.

Finally, I bet they're not as bad as you think! It's quite normal for us to think that our nails are not as good as they could be - yet our clients are delighted!

Don't be too hard on yourself. Creating beautiful nails takes time; it's not a skill one can pick up in a few days.

You can do 1-2-1s with your educator and they will be able to work with you and point you in the right direction. They'll see exactly what you need to work on and tell you what you need to do. It's intense and you can have an hour or as much time as you need with them.

Grab a bunch of tips and just go for it, sit down and take a good few hours and practice putting the gel on - the great thing with gel is that you can use the same bead for a good while.

Watch the CND/fingernail fixer videos on youtube. And read the articles and tutorials here.

Finally, I bet they're not as bad as you think! It's quite normal for us to think that our nails are not as good as they could be - yet our clients are delighted!

Thanks, I'm practicing loads, when ever I get a moment! I don't have a local educator which makes things like a 1-1 quite expensive which is why I haven't gone and done one! It is on my list though!

Iv watched there videos loads, holly is amazing! Xxx

Hi, i am no expert and have just come back to the industry myself. i am so critical of my own work but it is all about practice practice practice. i had a nosey through your pics and your doing great. maybe give yourself a time frame and say if i feel the same by .... then i will have a break. My daughter sing the dont give up song but i wont sing it now but always makes me try again lol:hug:

Hi, i am no expert and have just come back to the industry myself. i am so critical of my own work but it is all about practice practice practice. i had a nosey through your pics and your doing great. maybe give yourself a time frame and say if i feel the same by .... then i will have a break. My daughter sing the dont give up song but i wont sing it now but always makes me try again lol:hug:

Thanks Hun, that means a lot! Yeah I think I might do that, I'm going to spend at least 1 night a week for the next 6 months practicing if I don't feel up to scratch by then I'm going to leave it and save up for the CND complete course and totally start again! Xx

Hey, I've just had a little look on your profile and see your in Ashington, i live just outside morpeth. If you ever need any help or someone to practice on just let me know :) Im by far not the best but am striving to be tho best i can :)
Louise
X

Dont give up hun, honestly you will regret it and feel bitter that it beat you.

A few mistakes Ive made.

1. Working far too dry. With CND l and p which I use I didn't realise how dry I was actually working. When I went back to do infills my clients nails had lifted and were really dusty. I've been working slightly wetter and hey presto lovely see through nails.

2. Not sealing the nail properly and working far too thin. Thin to win is a motto I hear all the time but sometimes we take it to extremes. This has caused me more lifting problems than I care to think about. Two weeks ago I did my clients nails a little thicker, wetter and really concentrated on sealing round the nails. Hey presto went back tonight, no lifting and all ten intact. OH MY GOD I was sooooo pleased.

3. Gels don't talk to me about gels for some reason at the moment all mine are literally popping off. Hmm more practise but at least Ive cracked L + P.

4. 121 sessions are fabulous but before you go make a detailed list of what you want to ask and stick to it. I find that I talk too much and leave thinking oh why didnt I sort that out :sad:. Make sure you get the most out of your 121. The educator wont mind if you get straight to the point.

Perhaps get them to watch you right from the start on a couple or nails. Prep, tips or sculpts, mix ratio, zone placement, finish filing etc. Even if they only watch 2 nails Im sure they will realise where you are going wrong.

Lastly learn about your clients. I know which of my clients are a little liberal with the truth and aftercare and those that treat their nails like the crown jewels. Its important not too take the blame unless you categorically know its your fault.

Good luck hun keep going xxxxxx

Hey, I've just had a little look on your profile and see your in Ashington, i live just outside morpeth. If you ever need any help or someone to practice on just let me know :) Im by far not the best but am striving to be tho best i can :)
Louise
X

Thanks Hun, that's a lovely offer! Xx

Dont give up hun, honestly you will regret it and feel bitter that it beat you.

A few mistakes Ive made.

1. Working far too dry. With CND l and p which I use I didn't realise how dry I was actually working. When I went back to do infills my clients nails had lifted and were really dusty. I've been working slightly wetter and hey presto lovely see through nails.

2. Not sealing the nail properly and working far too thin. Thin to win is a motto I hear all the time but sometimes we take it to extremes. This has caused me more lifting problems than I care to think about. Two weeks ago I did my clients nails a little thicker, wetter and really concentrated on sealing round the nails. Hey presto went back tonight, no lifting and all ten intact. OH MY GOD I was sooooo pleased.

3. Gels don't talk to me about gels for some reason at the moment all mine are literally popping off. Hmm more practise but at least Ive cracked L + P.

4. 121 sessions are fabulous but before you go make a detailed list of what you want to ask and stick to it. I find that I talk too much and leave thinking oh why didnt I sort that out :sad:. Make sure you get the most out of your 121. The educator wont mind if you get straight to the point.

Perhaps get them to watch you right from the start on a couple or nails. Prep, tips or sculpts, mix ratio, zone placement, finish filing etc. Even if they only watch 2 nails Im sure they will realise where you are going wrong.

Lastly learn about your clients. I know which of my clients are a little liberal with the truth and aftercare and those that treat their nails like the crown jewels. Its important not too take the blame unless you categorically know its your fault.

Good luck hun keep going xxxxxx

Thank you, that's some really great advice! Xxx

Louise
X

See this is what salon geek is all about what a lovely kind offer. See now girlies you can create magic nails together good luck both of you xxxxxxxx

Thank you k-nails :) & your very welcome geekling, we're the same age too! But definitely don't hesitate to ask if you would ever like my help xx

Thank you k-nails :) & your very welcome geekling, we're the same age too! But definitely don't hesitate to ask if you would ever like my help xx

Aw thanks again! Ill keep that in mind! Xx

Latest posts

Back