Have you had a client like this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marina

Reaction score
Hello all,

Yesterday I did 14 hours(!?) at a friends house, for people she knew. My friend's great, and was trying to help me out.:hug: I'm trying to build up a small client base.
First, I did a man&ped for her daughter - fine, no probs, happy with results. Then two relatives came. The first was ok - got no feedback really. Then, the nightmare began!!!:evil:
The next relative began by bringing food to the other client while I was doing the treatment. I believe this is not good. I have type one diabetes and do not ever eat during a treatment. Bad health and safety I think! Next, she offered everyone a cup of tea, before her treatment started , but didnt ask me. Meanwhile my friend is in bed recovering from major surgery, so can't intervene. Anyway, when it came to the client's turn for a ped., she ate and was on her mobile phone for the majority of her ped. Also, she constantly undermined me by referring endlessly to her daughter(who, unbeknownst to her at this time, is someone I actually know and like!) saying, she does loads of treatments, much more than I do! and she harped on and on about the amount of training she'd done, and was comparing us. And she rudely said I looked a lot older than her daughter, who's 30 . I'm 32. :evil: .She was full of horrible snide remarks, and had a cocky tone.
When I was doing her nails, she said "I havent come here for that..only for the massage treatment". She looked out of the window throughout the treatment, and did not talk 'to' me. She said everything very condescendingly, and in a high and mighty manner. She put me down, she even stuck a load of her daughter's salon leaflets on the coffee table!! She also tried to arrange for myself and her daughter to meet, so we could do parties together... which is great, but in her words, only so that her daughter can gain my clients. She also asked how long I've been trained (since Feb this year) and proceeded to tell me what to do about what I should retail and that I'd only make any money doing parties (with her daughter of course!)
I didnt say much at all. I didnt get the chance. I felt it would be easier and more professional to do her treatment and for her to go. Plus, I felt intimidated, and belittled.
Her whole tone was demeaning. I've tried to rationalise this...did she mean well? Was my treatment rubbish? My answer is simply no. She felt that I was a threat to her daughter.
I feel that she's put me off. I'm carrying out nail treatments and enhancements from my own home from now. It feels safer and less intimidating.
Has anyone else had bitchy, or demeaning clients? What do you do with them? Its really got me down big time:cry:
On a happier note , I did 5 other treatments on very chuffed and satisfied clients! :p

What an ignorant bitch !!!!

Well, you sound lovely to me. Just know your self worth, build up your self esteem and ALWAYS be fully booked if she ever comes a calling.

xxxx

Well done for your hard work first of all.

I think in this business we will meet all types of people. Some nice and some not so nice. Even friends and family could sometimes be a pain in the business too.

I think you had a very good opportunity to courteously ask this woman whether she had a problem with your work. When clients are quiet, just take the opportunity to ask 'are you ok?' 'Are you happy with the treatment so far etc'.

Why didn't she let her daughter do the treatment for her?

Don't let anyone let you feel this way again!

i was soooooooooooooo wetting myself when i got a booking recently it was a local business woman i thought OMG this is........................ringing me for any appointment.

i felt a little how u r describing.. Stand your ground U R THE PROFFESSIONAL !!!

you r trained...know what you r talking about....bamboozle her with advice.....info she will soon shut up/ chil out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amb

I really think that this Lady's action resembled Attack is the best form of defense lol........
Her daughter this and her daughter that and you happen to be in the same profession...... sounds more like undermining you and raising her daughters profile........ her aim was to belittle you and to make you unsure.........
To be honest, sounds more like she is worried about her daughters profile being undermined............
Don't you dare let anyone push you in a corner......because then she has won and her actions proved successful.......... You go out there and do a great job, for every nasty Lady there are at least 10 good ones.............. and it is their opinion's that counts....... I bet her daughter would be cringing if she was aware of her mothers conduct lol............

Well done you for handling yourself in the way that you did, with the utmost professionalism.

Now for the catty bit, if her daughter is so darned GOOD!!! why doesn't she go to her to have her treatments??

What a rude woman!! Dont let her put you down - you performed a superb treatment which she could not comment on.

I once had a day like that - I had only been qualified a week and a relative asked if I would do Acrylics for her and her daughter. I arrived and discovered that she had also invited 2 friends and there was another on the way. I felt presurised in to it and ended up doing 5 sets of Acrylic - talk about in at the deep end! Middle of summer, the room was small, overcrowded and overheated. There were cakes/ sandwiches and cups of tea everywhere. The last client questioned every move I made and took pains to detail how much more qualified her friend was than me as she had completed a Beauty Therapy HND. I was so glad to get out of there.
I prefer to work from home as I feel more in control - little things like, clients will switch off their Mobile in your room but will answer it if in their own room. I know a lot of people have a lot of success as Mobile Techs but I prefer my own space.

I have been a Hairdresserand nail tech for a long time,the thing i do is go all tecnical on them!start talking adout hypernicuims,sidewalls free edges,matrix,lunelers etc it soon shuts them up!!!
Dianaxx you always remember the very few bad ones remember all the good onesxx

You always make me chuckle with that one Diana :lol: C u soon honey x

Hi Marina

It is easier said then done but people who can only be rude or sarcastic are incapable of a decent conversation so let it go over your head. You are a better person for treating them with a professional attitude then they are - bet your head was saying some pretty flowery stuff!! :wink2:

Take care

She's probably like this to everyone, it's a sign of insecurity. I'm afraid I would have had to say something at some point, I couldn't have bitten my tongue like you did. Like peeps have said, if her daughter is so darned good then why was SHE not doing her feet (prob cos her daughter knows what she's like), and if her daughter is damned busy then why was she trying to drum up more business for her.

Don't let her rude ways get to you, concentrate on the other people you did.

Thank you, all of you, for your advice and support!!:hug:
I will definitely be fully booked if she gets in touch for another treatment! Thanks for that suggestion Kimmi!
The client's daughter would be so upset if she knew what her mother had said to me. She's a quiet, meek little thing and now I know why!!:twisted:
I'll be doing exactly what nemotail was saying about working from home. I'm decorating at the mo to make the house more welcoming for clients, and I'll be so much more comfortable in a place where I can call the shots!!
I'll do the technical lingo bit too!! I'll be laughing so much when any 'difficult' clients look non-plussed lol!! One up the nose!!:p
Still, I'm looking forward to all the lovely co-operative clients :) I'll be seeing in the future, who will come to me for treatments and not to 'check me out' and belittle my skills.
Lots of love, Marina xx

One thing to say.....

If her own daughter is so bloody fabulous why didn't she just go to her in the first place instead of coming to you and giving you grief!

Congrats for the other well completed treatments!

sounds like she dont get enough nooky to me,
nasty cow

Latest posts

Back