Have you had much support?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Husband was brilliant
He supported me in my effort to become quallified I attended college full time for 2 half years (I felt that this was my last chance as I was in my early 30s)
Then when I qualified I rented a room and started work I then got busy at the weekends so I convinced him to do a Nail Course he then qualified as a Nail tech and helped me out.Then he joined the business permanently and now we work full time together so I guess we supported each other.

Ruby :D

I am very luck I left a good job to start up my new business and my husband has been a tower. Not only does he not moan about the hours I have been doing but he has taken over a lot of the jobs I did so I would not feel under pressure.

LOL Now Husbands/boyfriends and the like are a funny breed...............
My first Husband, had the same attitude............... I could do anything I wanted to do in life, as long as was back home on time do sort out the kids, the tea and anything els that needed sorting lol...............Now he is an Ex-hubby, but the lack of support was not the only reason we split lol......

But on to hubby No.2 lol, bless him.........
When I met him he thought that doing nails, was a nice little hobby, but would much come of it ???
Would I be able to afford to live ???? As we where not living together ..........
I could understand his concerns........ as I had left my previous husband and had to pay child maintenance lol........I had part time jobs all over the place to make ends meet......................
My first nail training did not get me a certificate and was very basic .......this was back in the days when we had just discovered freedom of choice and electricity lol......only kidding, but it was a long time ago and courses like Nail Technician courses did not grow on trees lol..................

So bless Richard (current Hubby) agreed to humour me and pay for a real certified course for me.............back in the early 90's..........
I took my course, went mobile but still had to do all my other jobs to keep my head above water...........
Being a stubborn soul, I knew I had to make this work because I hated the others jobs and I loved my nail job with a passion.....and I wanted a carriere............So I took my life in my hands, did a portfolio and a CV and went and did a lot of door well salon door knocking..............
I got lucky, got a great spot in the city and thought this is it lol............
But it took ages to build up a good clientelle and Richard bless him financialy supported me and still humoured me and my little job, like a lot of guys he thought, well she is only doing nails lol.......and how much can anyone earn doing nails, can't be that much lol...
Then after a year I found myself earning a nice steady amount, and didn't need his financial support anymore...........
Thats when all of a sudden his attitude changed............... he actually took notice of what I was doing.....the humouring went to admiration........and with his supportI went from strength to strength......2 years down the line, he lost his business and times where very hard for him....and it was my turn to support him..............

All of a sudden I payed for everything and I didn't mind , because without him I would still had been running myself silly trying to earn just enough pennies to keep the wolves from the door..............we even managed to get married during all this lol....and yes I payed for the wedding.....best financial and emotional investment I have ever made lol.......

Even without his job we did very well money wise.....holidays and a nice car........... thats when the penny dropped for him.............
A Nail Technician is a profession, it is not just a hobby, it is to be taken just as serious as any other well payed for profession...............
A profession, that if you are smart and pull out all the stops, follow your heart and educate yourself as much as you can......You can make more then a decend living from it..................
I am proof of that...........it hasn't been easy, not as easy as it sounds and there where moments in the early days where I felt very beaten down, ready to get a proper job and chuck it all in..........but like I said I am a stubborn soul and knew in my heart that this would work and no negative remarks or actions where going to stop me....................................
And they blooming didn't.................

So to anyone who is lacking support their your nearest and dearest........
Make it work you are the only one that can............. and proof your point that way............thats the best way to do it.......and we women are remarkable at getting what we really want !!!!!!!!......

My family support me to an extent but i also am reminded of this, though it is difficult for your family to always support you as they only see they only see the backlash of your emotions (tiredness and moodiness).
Emotions which everyone has at one time in thier lives (though last we all like to forget) but as we all know what we do today makes life easier for tomorrow!!

Hence learn from your experiences and make life better tomorrow!!!

We can always find a way round any situation if we use our head!

I know how lucky I am. My boyfriend has been fantastic - he always is - whatever I do.

He paid for my ITEC mani/Pedi training, he bought my airbrush, he puts up with me spending evenings experimenting etc. etc. (although doesn't complain when I had to practice mani/pedi!!).

Even though I have no clients yet he says the money he has spent has still been worth it as I've done it for myself. I love nails, so even if I never make any money I will get joy from my airbrush and being able to do manicures properly. Aaron always tells me how proud of me he is and he loves that when I do something, I do it properly and with real passion. He has spent hours on the PC helping to design my business cards and will also help when I'm ready to set up a website (although he doesn't know it yet!! LOL)

I know how it feels to not have that support - I can just imagine what my ex-hubby would have made of me doing 'nails'. He was pretty crap as supporting me in anything he didn't think was worthwhile.

There ARE good men out there, as some of the others have demonstrated but they are not the important thing. Your strength of will and desire to suceed are the things that get you where you want to be. Yes. it helps if you have support but you still need the passion to drive yourself to work hard and be a success - and, more importantly - happy.

Hope you reach your goals. Chin up, you got all the support you ever need at www.thenailgeek.com

B x

Latest posts

Back