Head lice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This can be a reoccurring nightmare usually because one child in the class is not being treated properly .
Have tried all shop bought treatments the most effective is cheap mayonnaise .
Smother the hair and wrap cling film around the head.
All the live lice will suffocate and die you will see them.!
Repeat 7 days later to treat the new eggs that have hatched . Very effective it is all about breaking the cycle .

Conditioner and a fine comb. Completely cover the hair and comb through. Keep wiping the comb on tissues. Do this every night until the eggs have all hatched and you can't see the lice on the tissues any more.

As Lila says, if there is an infested child - or adult - who is in contact with your child it could be a recurring problem.

Right I don't know if this is advised but me and my friend used headein on her daughter and the next day straightened her hair in tiny sections, they never came back. Surely 200 degrees would fry any remaining eggs? X

If parents were more diligent about preventative measures then we would never have to deal with lice infestations.
Unfortunately, life gets busy and I see kids coming to school with unruly hair because the parent didnt even have a chance to brush their hair let alone spot critters! It is hard having to have to deal with it when others come to school not properly treated, or the parents are too proud to admit their child has them.
I have seen first hand what severe infestations do to the health of the kids. (Spent 2 yrs in a refugee camp)
I have tried to arrange parent meetings to tackle this as a team and only 2 showed up!!
Last week, I found 2 adult louse and about 5-6 nits behind my kid's ear and I have been diligently sweeping for critters hours at a time each day. We have a great oil rinse from Resultz that dehydrates them, including the nits. But if I have to fear sending them to school then I am gonna raise a stink as it can turn into a public issue of safety very quickly.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Conditioner and a fine comb. Completely cover the hair and comb through. Keep wiping the comb on tissues. Do this every night until the eggs have all hatched and you can't see the lice on the tissues any more.

As Lila says, if there is an infested child - or adult - who is in contact with your child it could be a recurring problem.

Ah it was a nightmare and the school would not tell the mother as was singling the child out and against some rights!
I said if the headmaster did not send letters home telling all parents to check and all girls wear there hair up I was going to the local papers!
I was seriously sick of it as it was taking me two hours each night to go through her long hair which is really think with the combs!
I was not happy until I don't 30 strokes nite free then I'd stop for the night!
Yuck my head is now itching 😳xx

Unbelievable they wouldn't tell the mother!
I used to ring the home and ask parent to collect asap. There's no shame in having them, and we just treated the situation as you would with any medical problem that required the child to be collected. The children were treated with kindness and sat in my office with a comic to read!

Research food grade diatomaceous earth. MUST be food grade. Helps with lice in the home. Fleas as well. You can take a small amount actually through the scalp. Make sure shake out of hair. Do your own research on it, but it's great.

Food grade diatomaceous earth high in silica. When fleas and lice touch and move through this powder, it basically cuts them up.

MUST be food grade and not non-food grade you would clean your pool with.

(I actually put a tablespoon in my juice each day and helps strengthen my hair and teeth. The high amounts of silica in it. Food grade mind you. I love it.)

Lol, I use it on my chickens for the same reason, it's good for mites :lol:

Works well, so I agree try it with head lice

I've got twin girls who are now 15 but back in their primary school days head lice was a nightmare.. They have mixed race hair, one fine and curly the other more thick.. Guess who would got it all the time!?! No Lice comb was ever going through her hair!.. Tried every lotion and potion and the only one that worked was Full Marks.. Brilliant stuff! Killed them never returned again

Well I did conditioner & comb tonight, youngest daughter just had a couple of eggs but the older one was riddled! I've bleached every where & hot washed bedding etc! It makes my head scratch just typing this! I'll definitely try the mayonnaise suggestion if just for fun!xx

Well I did conditioner & comb tonight, youngest daughter just had a couple of eggs but the older one was riddled! I've bleached every where & hot washed bedding etc! It makes my head scratch just typing this! I'll definitely try the mayonnaise suggestion if just for fun!xx

Thing is, you should check too :( they are a bloody pain!!

I've tried a few things to treat head lice and done many google searches and I found white vinegar works best to get the nits out. Pour it into a spray bottle and spray the hair then comb through with a nit comb. The vinegar dissolves the glue that keeps the nits stuck to the hair. Best thing I've tried. X

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Hi, I need a bit of nit advice!

My daughter has got head lice, she's in year 2 at school so we've been lucky I guess that she hasn't caught it before now.
We had a letter on Monday from her class to say a case of head lice had been reported in her class.

Last night I saw something in her hair and I was a great big nit!

I sectioned her hair and searched her whole head and there was just the one but there were around 10 eggs, I removed them all by pulling them out with my nails and then squishing them (yuck)

We brought some lotion from the chemist and applied it to everyone's hair , myself husband and son hadn't got anything when we checked but did our hair anyway (£25 for two bottles 😳)

Anyway, my question is have I got to do anything else?
I was going to go through her hair again tonight with conditioner and a bit comb

I've boiled all bedding etc also just to be sure and I shall check her hair daily but is that all I can do?

She's gone to school today with very tight plaits so hopefully that will help

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1412264246.227945.jpg

Keep up with tea tree shampoo, good stuff.
As a child if I ever got them, my mum would use a treatment then coat my hair in conditioner and comb through the whole lot meticulously removing as many as possible, every night for ten nights, then use another treatment, always worked! Good luck, it's making me itch just thinking about the little critters! Xxx

I have a constant battle wih my youngest :( her hair is crazy and doesn't stay neatly up very well. Although she is getting better at keeping it in all day now!

There's one little girl who is scratching at her head every time I see her, and my daughter plays with her all the time :(

I like the full marks solutions put it on, leave for 15 mins then comb and wash off. I do it 3 Sunday's on the trot and then comb every hair wash. All I get is screaming from my youngest, my 8 yo doesn't get them often but keeps her hair up and loves to comb herself all the time to make sure. She's a proper clean freak bless her.

I hate the damn things and feel sorry for the kids who's parents don't treat them :(

:)

Last edited:
Hi, I've been going through her hair every night with a nit comb and there's nothing in there now, I'm thinking that I caught it early so that's why there were only a few eggs and the one crawler

Luckily they were really easy to see in her hair

Bring back the nit nurse I say lol

Latest posts

Back