Heat and Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justnailart

Reaction score
I posted a thread a few weeks ago about a new client I had who is a hydrotherapist and was having problems with her previous Shellac manicure peeling because of (she thought) the heat from the pool and spending so much time in the water. However, we got a little side tracked talking nail art and got loads of fab advice about that instead. (Thanks geeks! :hug:)
Turns out that her last technician's application was less than perfect and was probably that which was causing most of the problems.
Nearly 3 weeks on and her Shellac is just starting to peel a little on a couple of the nails and has lasted way longer than before so she is more than happy.
I am aware of the reasons why Shellac peels but am still keen to know how heat like this affects Shellac, if at all. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks. xx

The heat should not have an effect on the product, lots of time in a pool however can.
Spending a lot of time in water (and chlorinated water at that) can leave nails a little dehydrated, dehydration can lead to peeling which would then lead to the product coming away as well as the peeled nail.

Getting her near 3 weeks is great for a product we advise to last around 2 weeks-so well done!
Ensure she is following her aftercare, I would advise applying more solar oil due to her lifestyle- so 3/4 times daily as opposed to twice daily to help keep them hydrated.

The heat should not have an effect on the product, lots of time in a pool however can.
Spending a lot of time in water (and chlorinated water at that) can leave nails a little dehydrated, dehydration can lead to peeling which would then lead to the product coming away as well as the peeled nail.

Getting her near 3 weeks is great for a product we advise to last around 2 weeks-so well done!
Ensure she is following her aftercare, I would advise applying more solar oil due to her lifestyle- so 3/4 times daily as opposed to twice daily to help keep them hydrated.

Thanks for the help! Of course, dehyrdation!! Should've realised! :o She bought some Solar oil from me and I did advise her to wash her hands thoroughly and use it when she got out of the pool as well as morning & night and she said she would do this! I gave her an aftercare sheet too.
She is thrilled with it & I'm so pleased she got a good result compared to last time!
It's so important to me that I give as much information as I can to my clients about how to look after their nails and I had never come across anything to do with heat so was intriguied!
Another thing learnt!! :hug:

Latest posts

Back