Heat sensitivity from CND lamp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My client is experiencing this, Gigi. Due to chemo, not baby though. Never really gave it much thought when she mentioned it....just thought about it in relations to chemo only.

Interesting, Tammie. Strange how the body reacts to 'violent' changes .. who knows, maybe chemo also affects hormone levels? Clearly General health plays a huge part in these things. One thing is for sure, they would feel the effects allot more if they were wearing gels.

I've also wondered sometimes if this, at least on my client's part, wasn't psychosomatic.

I agree that her hormones will return to normal soon and yes, this is probably causing her to feel sensitive to any heat .. goodness knows there are so few photo-initiators in Shellac that it is certainly the first time I have heard this. The flash cure is a good idea but make sure you make up any lost time under the UV lights by adding it on at the end.

Just a few questions.

Does she feel the warmth with every layer of Shellac or does it get progressively less as you go through the treatment?

Is she sensitive to hot water at the moment for example while washing up?

Is she experiencing any other oddities since having the baby such as scalp sensitivity when drying her hair?

Thanks everyone for your replies, glad others are finding this useful :)

Geeg, she has no other sensitivity to anything and this is only happening on her fingers. If it weren't for the fact I feel how hot her hands get when they come out of the lamp, I wouldn't believe it myself. No issues with this before pregnancy. She says it happens on every layer and gets hotter as we go on.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Chemo can cause dry, damaged brittle nails, ridges, even losing nails.
The side effects are usually caused by chemo drugs in the taxane group.
I know when my friend was going through chemo she was told to use non acetone polish remover as with acetone too harsh.
Hth a little x

Geeg, she has no other sensitivity to anything and this is only happening on her fingers. If it weren't for the fact I feel how hot her hands get when they come out of the lamp, I wouldn't believe it myself. No issues with this before pregnancy. She says it happens on every layer and gets hotter as we go on.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Now I'm beginning to wonder if Tammie is right, and it's psychosomatic! Seriously. Unless she has a sensitivity to UV light, which I suppose could be a possibility! If that is the case, why not use a sunblock on her hands before curing and see if that helps? Easy enough to try that for her. X

Sent from my GT-I9300

Now I'm beginning to wonder if Tammie is right, and it's psychosomatic! Seriously. Unless she has a sensitivity to UV light, which I suppose could be a possibility! If that is the case, why not use a sunblock on her hands before curing and see if that helps? Easy enough to try that for her. X

I feel the difference in how hot her hands get when they come out the lamp and they do get hotter as we go on. I did her toes and nothing, perfectly fine. It's totally bizarre! :irked:

So a couple of things I'd like to ask, when clients ask about can they get a tan from the lamp, I always say no. So if I now put sunblock on my friends hands, how do I explain why I'm doing so, as I thought it was a different output so not possible to be tanned or get heat reaction from it but I clearly know very little about UV
:o

And when I try the flash cure on each layer, can I cure for 10 seconds first, then do the full 2 minutes after or will the extra 10 seconds cause problems of any kind? Man I need to learn more! :o

And when I try the flash cure on each layer, can I cure for 10 seconds first, then do the full 2 minutes after or will the extra 10 seconds cause problems of any kind? Man I need to learn more! :o
Cure for 10 seconds then do the full 2 minutes. It will not cause any problems such as over curing when you use the complete system :)

Flash cure is a flash of the lamp, half a second, out, then 1 sec, then out, then go for the whole thing, it's just so the chemical reaction doesn't start full on immediately

Hey Geeks,
I am not experienced in shellac but I do know that hormonal changes during pregnancy can cause increased sensitivity to UV light in Pregnancy.

It is a known fact that during pregnancy increased production of Melanocyte Stimulating Hormone (MSH) by the pituitary gland along with increased levels of oestrogen can cause skin sensitivity in pregnant women. These hormones produce the classic "Mask of Pregnancy" hyperpigmentation pattern on the face and also prickly heat symptoms, which many pregnant women suffer with following exposure to strong sunlight.

It sounds like the UV light from the lamp is creating a mini climate around the pregnant ladies hands which is creating a form of prickly heat reaction and thus causing the discomfort and temporary heating of the skin. Even if the UV lamp is not producing UV light within the "correct range" of the UV spectrum to create "A Tan" (predominantly UVB rays) it still produces a concentrated amount of UV light in comparison to normal daylight.

If you can do anything to protect the hands whilst in the lamp we could assume this would help to alleviate the affect of the UV stimulation but we wouldn't know if there could possibly be longer term implications such as the onset of reactive allergies and permanent sensitivity to the products and/ or UV light. Maybe some post grad somewhere will study this one day or is currently studying this and will provide some answers!

I myself during my first pregnancy suffered with a condition, causing inflammation of my hands, from which I developed severe Carpel Tunnel Symdrome. My symptoms were constant & severe pins and needles in my hands and wrists and I found it difficult to do anything manual! I am sure if I had had any type of manicure during this time (which I didn't) I may well have found any treatment on my hands or nails very uncomfortable/ almost painful.

As for the Lady who is currently undergoing chemo, again we can assume that the effect this treatment is having on her immune function (pituitary gland & lymphatic system) will be triggering unusual skin sensitivity patterns.

Often with all pregnancy related ailments, once the increased levels of pregnancy hormones diminish following the end of the pregnancy, the mother is no longer nursing the infant and the body has fully recovered, most skin sensitivity issues also disappear as if they had never even occurred.

My condition ended three days after I had my son and have never returned.

Hope this helps x

Latest posts

Back