Heat sensitivity from CND lamp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planky1

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Good morning Geeks,

I have a friend whose nails I've been doing with Shellac for the past year and a half. She has amazing nails, so easy to do, hardly ever any cuticle build up, no nail issues at all, a real pleasure to do.

However the past few times we have done them, she is getting heat spikes and it's becoming quite uncomfortable for her. Her hands even feel quite hot when they come out of the lamp having gone in feeling cold or just normal body temperature.

She had a baby 11 weeks ago and so I was wondering if the hormone changes could cause her to have heightened sensitivity? Will this be how it is now for her or will it eventually calm down as her hormones alter again?

She said she can't not have Shellac now, she'd be devastated (how funny how we all get so addicted to it! :D ) and that she'll just put up with it but is this a good idea if she's becoming so sensitive?

Grateful to learn more about this and if there's anything we can do to make it more comfortable for her. Can I get her to remove her hand for a few seconds then put it back in or will this compromise the Shellac service?

Many thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

usually heat is from either damage to the nail plate or enhancement/coating being too thick and yes if shes just had a baby her hormones will be playing havoc with her nails, hair etc.

is she using her solar oil?

i think the best thing is to contact your educator or sweet squared for advice x

usually heat is from either damage to the nail plate or enhancement/coating being too thick and yes if shes just had a baby her hormones will be playing havoc with her nails, hair etc.

is she using her solar oil?

i think the best thing is to contact your educator or sweet squared for advice x

Thanks souz. Like I say, her nails are in perfect condition, no damage at all and she's never had enhancements. She has Shellac now, every 4 weeks, which I never apply thick, thin to win always :wink2:
Only change there has been is having her baby, which was why I was wondering if and how that has an effect.

My "educator" was 6 years ago so doubt she's still around to ask anything! Lol! :D

But yes, I'll just call S2 or send a message to Doug to ask. I asked on here as this is a teaching and learning site and so thought others may learn from my question and the answers to it but I'll ask elsewhere ;)

I would just "flash" those nails (5 secs or less under the lamp) just for the nails to get a "taste", take them out, then put them back under, ....this will dissipate any initial heat, the proceed as normal.

Hormones could play a role, they are odd things, and hormones seem to be the only things that could have changed.

I find when "it's that time of the month" clients can be more sensitive due to hormone activity, It's like an alarm bell with the first stroke of the file .....

Last edited:
if this was happening with a gel product it would be easy to advise you on how to deal with it and of course for us all to learn from it. what baffled me was that it was happening with shellac which as we know is not a gel product which is why i was suggesting contacting s2 xx

I would just "flash" those nails (5 secs or less under the lamp) just for the nails to get a "taste", take them out, then put them back under, ....this will dissipate any initial heat, the proceed as normal.

Hormones could play a role, they are odd things, and hormones seem to be the only things that could have changed.

I find when "it's that time of the month" clients can be more sensitive due to hormone activity, It's like an alarm bell with the first stroke of the file .....

Thank you Nailzoo. Would love to know more about why hormones can effect certain things, it's very interesting. So will flash cure then cure for normal 2 mins

Thank you for your reply :)

if this was happening with a gel product it would be easy to advise you on how to deal with it and of course for us all to learn from it. what baffled me was that it was happening with shellac which as we know is not a gel product which is why i was suggesting contacting s2 xx

I know and I'm not getting at you personally but I find the science behind these things interesting and educational, so whilst I could easily call someone to ask, I thought some of the more experienced geeks would also know the answer and we'd all learn from it. Surely better than what colour shall I buy? :wink2: :D :hug:

Interesting!

I have myself got very thin nails & always get heat spike with Brisa nomatter what I do (just background info) and I have in the past applied shellac top coat too thickly and it pooled. I had a mild heat spike and pulled it out the lamp to see my mistake - wasn't concentrating, watching tv while doing it! Anyway point is I have experienced heat spike with too thick a product, as with gel, so I can believe an over-sensitive person with normal application could be uncomfortable. I also find my skin usually gets hot under the lamp but isn't uncomfortable.

If it could easily be hormones then as Nailzoo said above it would presumably settle down when her hormones do? Xx

years ago i had a lady who used to get her legs waxed and i always knew when she was pregnant because the hairs wouldn't 'let go'...

on others a tan wouldn't take while pregnant or for a while afterwards...

i'm sure hair geeks will have had clients whose colour wouldn't take during or post pregnancy....

the list could go on.....just one of those things.

It wouldn't affect everyone but will affect someone

So from your replies would you say this might settle down? I will do as Nailzoo says, see if it helps but once a sensitivity has started, would that be that?

years ago i had a lady who used to get her legs waxed and i always knew when she was pregnant because the hairs wouldn't 'let go'...

on others a tan wouldn't take while pregnant or for a while afterwards...

i'm sure hair geeks will have had clients whose colour wouldn't take during or post pregnancy....

the list could go on.....just one of those things.

It wouldn't affect everyone but will affect someone
The reason that colour doesn't take well on pregnant women occasionally is primarily due to hormonal changes in the body affecting the sebum and sweat mix that coats our hair.

I suppose it could be the same for nails/tan too.

Hormones can play a huge part! My sister when pregnat I can not even put the efile on her nail for a fill for a second with out heating up. When she isn't she is totally fine, same with the burning in the light. I also did a girls nails who had just had a baby and her nails rejected the gel and lifted so bad the first 2 times. After that it was fine. Also I have found woman going through menopause have gotten the burning pretty bad. So thats when I just do extra thin layers and 5 second freeze cures.

Our bodys do crazy things lol same with sometimes pregnat hair won't hold dye or curl (my sisters defanitly changed lol)

I had a baby 21 weeks ago and personally I'd say my hormones started to settle about 3.5 months post birth. I'm guessing that as that's when my hair started to fall out!! Although, I was told by a medical professional it can take up to a year for a woman's body to fully settle after birth, so I wouldn't worry too much as if she's already 11 weeks post partum then her levels should be starting to settle xxx

planky i would just see how she goes. try and freeze each layer as nailzoo says , if it's hormonal it'll settle down .

Thank you everyone. Just don't want her to be experiencing such discomfort when it's supposed to be a very pleasant treatment :wink2:

I had already said it was likely to be hormonal as its the only thing that's changed but thought I'd better check that that can actually happen.

Thanks for your replies and Nailzoo thank you very much for the flash cure tip, hopefully it will help her :)

I have found this thread interesting as, having never been pregnant or treated anyone who has, I had no clue about this sort of thing. It's useful to know what to do if I come across this in future :)

Interesting post Planky, thanks for sharing.

I also have never come across this but is ALWAYS useful to have it in the memory bank.

What exactly is meant by "freeze them or flash the nails?" How does this stop a heat spike?

Thankyou

Planky, this thread is so on time for me right now. I have a client who is currently undergoing chemotherapy and she said she is experiencing discomfort while her hand is in the CND lamp. She's been a regular Shellac client of mine and this is a first for her. She says that her hands and especially her nails get very hot.

I switched lamps with my colleagues to ensure that the lamp wasn't the problem but she still experienced the "spike." I've been doing a flash cure (10 seconds) on each coat except the top coat. I do a full 2 minute cure on that one. She grins and bears it.

She's not getting a full 14 days from her Shellac but once she started chemo, her Shellac service longevity started to diminish anyway for some reason. I figured this slight change in protocol couldn't hurt. She agreed to give it a try.

Like your client, she won't go without her beautiful Shellac nails.

I agree that her hormones will return to normal soon and yes, this is probably causing her to feel sensitive to any heat .. goodness knows there are so few photo-initiators in Shellac that it is certainly the first time I have heard this. The flash cure is a good idea but make sure you make up any lost time under the UV lights by adding it on at the end.

Just a few questions.

Does she feel the warmth with every layer of Shellac or does it get progressively less as you go through the treatment?

Is she sensitive to hot water at the moment for example while washing up?

Is she experiencing any other oddities since having the baby such as scalp sensitivity when drying her hair?

Is she sensitive to hot water at the moment for example while washing up?

Is she experiencing any other oddities since having the baby such as scalp sensitivity when drying her hair?

My client is experiencing this, Gigi. Due to chemo, not baby though. Never really gave it much thought when she mentioned it....just thought about it in relations to chemo only.

Latest posts

Back