Help for my hands please!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missbad

Reaction score
Hi

I am currently studying full time at college and work one day a week in a salon.

The thing is i have got dyshidrotic eczema which is blisters on my hands. It can be either under the skin or on the skin. I have only had this since i started hairdressing due to my hands being wet a lot from hair washing.

Does anyone know of anything i can put on my hands while washing. Latex clothes are no good as my hands sweat and its moisture of the hands that trigger it.

They are so painful to touch :cry: any help would be appreciated.

Thanks x

P.s This is the condition i have
One of the most common types of eczema is dyshidrotic eczema (or dyshidrotic dermatitis). It occurs only on the palms of the hands, on the sides of the fingers and on the soles of the feet.

The signs and symptoms of dyshidrotic eczema are the small deep blisters that form on the affected areas that cause intense burning or itching.

The skin gets inflamed and some times, infected skin can start to ooze, blister and crust. Some times as the skin heals, it starts to peel and new blisters appear.

Dyshidrotic dermatitis causes nail changes that persist for a long time. Because of this skin condition, fingernails develop ridges and pitting and they may start to thicken and discolour.

Factors that increase the risk of dyshidrotic eczema

Experts believe that certain factors can increase the risk of developing dishidrotic eczema. Stress is one of those factors. In fact, many patients report that they have been through a stressful period before most of their outbreaks.

Gender is also believed to be a factor since statistics have shown that females are more likely to develop dyshidrotic eczema than male. The other risk factor is weather and more precisely humid weather which causes a lot of flare ups.

Last edited:
we have a barrier cream that u put on after u wash ur hands and leave it to kinda dry for a minute and it forms a clear barrier that lasts up to 4 hours, it really helped me, it doesnt feel claggy or like ur hands are coated. . . i just cant remember the name, BUT their are products out their haha x

what about magic gloves? ive heard its good buit never used it . i think that if you use vasaline / 50 /50 or anything like that its going to make the sweating problem worse .

hi chick. not a hairdresser but.. my cousin has bad eczema and used to get awful blisters on her hands.. are you sure it's not the soap/handwash you've been using? or even one of the shampoos?
i have eczema myself, and i know that i have to avoid some soaps at all costs.. you can also develop allergies to them at any time. it's more likely the chemicals on your hands that are doing this.
you should keep your hands moisturised as much as you can and avoid anything with perfume in. aveeno handcream is really good for sensitive skin.
i think you should wear gloves, and maybe take them off at regular intervals to let the skin breath and pat off the sweat. once your skin isn't exposed to so many irritants, it will be able to heal
hope this helps a little

Hi

Thanks all for your comments.
If my hands are also exposed to humid heat it flares up.
My hands should be kept dry but that is impossible in this line of work lol.
I have added to my original post the condition just incase anyone else may get this problem.
Thanks
x

we have a barrier cream that u put on after u wash ur hands and leave it to kinda dry for a minute and it forms a clear barrier that lasts up to 4 hours, it really helped me, it doesnt feel claggy or like ur hands are coated. . . i just cant remember the name, BUT their are products out their haha x

we use something like this too, brought it from sallys l cant think of the nam though either:irked:

gloves in a bottle?!

i like that :)

:)

have you tried aveeno hand cream.

aveeno is a range of products made from coloidal [sp?] oats and is specially formulated for exema suffererers and i know of many who have benifited from it.

about £5.99 at pharmacies

Hi
i get contact dermatits, pretty much the same thing. when i first started hairdresing 6 years ago i thought my hands would toughen up but its just as bad now. i havent found anything that really helps, just moistursing literally every half hour! gloves in a bottle is quite good. steroid cream prescribed by the docs is the only thing that got rid of it.

Hi there. When I was training I had dermatitis and eczema all over my hands and up my arms. When I was hot it would flare up and in the winter crack and bleed. If you go to a doctor they will recommend you giving up hairdressing! One doctor recomended Betnovate (a strong hydracortizone steroid cream) which used for a week was quite good. I tried all creams going. A good one is Cows udder cream which you can buy from a gun and fish tackle shop for a few quid for a huge tub! I used to wear it with cotton gloves at night. Once you get over the worst part (youl go through tubs of cream) you should be able to use a barrier cream before you start work to prevent it becoming bad again.

Hope that helps! PS It took a good year after being a junior for my hands to clear up totally, but now they are totally normal and I dont get any problems! Just have to persevere!

Latest posts

Back