HELP for nail condition please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemmonie

Reaction score
I need some advise with a client.

background: 36 year old, childminder, habitual nail biter, smoker, not a great looker after of hands!

She has had my acrylics on for nearly 3 months and been trouble free so far. She developed what a doc diagnosed as excema on one hand. Never had it before and it is nowhere else. It itches, red and has a distintive edge to it and had been gradually spreading. She is seeking a 2nd opinion. She came today for infill and i decided to rmove all nails as they were looking awful. Lifting, discolouration and dry. The nails I have taken pics of and are in my album "nail problems"
Please take a look and give me your views. Im really worried about one nail in particular which is thick, the smile line extends so deeply it reaches the base of the nail. In fact all nails on this particular hand have very irregular free edges. This was not noticable before I applied the acrylics as she was a biter.

Any advise welcome please

I did a bit of googling & found a link here with some info on that may or may not give some idea as to what is causing this.
A-Z of Skin: Nail Disorders

I would definately not do anything else to these nails and if it is eczema as the doctor has said I presume she would have been given some cream or something to clear it up....so if it doesnt clear it up then I would ask her to visit her GP again to see if they could investigate further, due to the yellowing and thickening I would want to rule out a fungal infection for one thing.

This could be several conditions but a doctor is the one to diagnose it.

The itchy patches with distinctive edges sounds more like psoriasis than eczema. It could even be that she has developed an allergy.

The nails look as if they could be developing psoriasis too. There is some pressure on the nails bed (red and white areas at the top of t he nail bed) that could be due to a reformed nail biter or an allergy to the products.

The white area on the worst finger looks like trauma to the matrix area but could be the beginning of psoriasis. The inflamed skin could be any of the above!

It could all also be a result of using a cortisone cream from the Dr!

So many things plus others! Let the Dr sort it out

I think it is quite possibly Psoriasis. I have call her and asked her to mention this to the doc and also to ask him to take a special look at the nails as well to rule out a fungal infection (although i do think it is a high posibility sadly)

Thanks for your views

Latest posts

Back