Help from experienced Geeks regarding my Mum's and My Toe Nails (pic attached)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Nails

Reaction score
IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

Hi Geeks,

I just wondered if anyone could shed some light on what is going on with my Mum's toe nails and also one of mine. There is definite onycholysis going on as both of us can get a sharp (obviously clean) object right down to the bottom of the white/yellow area. So basically the nail has come away from the nail bed, but our question is what would have caused this. Neither of us have had any serious trauma to the toes. I wanted dearly to have a pedicure done for a change on myself but am far to embarrassed to have someone do my feet now. I'm wondering if there is any disease or infection involved. I filed my Mum's toenails today for her but obviously threw away the file straight away incase. Any light shed on this would be most gratefully received. Thank you xxxx

Onycholysis can be caused by many things - trauma, medication, infection (maybe fungal), skin diseases-like psoriasis or circulation problems.
Go and see a chiropodist to determine why this has started.
x

Hi miss pink

Thank you, I reckon then either medication or fungal, definitely not circulation on my part or trauma and neither of us have
Psoriasis. So off to the chiropodist we go. All good learning. Xx

This cud be caused if u and yr mum are wearing pointed shoes or shoes that don't fit properly, more so on the big to as that's were there's more pressure. Iv seen this a lot in my salon hun. Hth xo

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Looks possibly fungal as this spreads down the nail - if not treated it can spread to other toes. You can try over the counter remedies through a pharmacist but these are quite pricey, as it's more than one toe your gp may prescribe tablets. Hope this helps and you get sorted x

Thanks guys so much appreciated. My mum has had a few problems with new medication recently so reckon that might be a cause for her as it is both big toes. Mine I'm afraid I reckon is fungal got a funny feeling as it is the corner of my big toe spreading sort of down and across. Reckon mums going to loose both her toes tho you can see right under them. can't believe how horrible it has made me feel. I have got really nice toes and was going to get minxed, hmmm not now tho unless they can match up the lovely yellow colour to my big toe!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again guys off to the docs first then chiropodist if that doesn't help xxxxxx

The problem with toes is you could stub, jam or bump your toenail today, and oh yeah, it's sore or whatever. But, then it goes away. 2 months later, you see this strange rigid line and you're wondering what happened. It's like a ripple effect when the matrix is injured.

As for your mom's toes, I assume they're the ones picture together. I don't think it's fungal. The lines are too even. I would think a fungus wouldn't work in such synchronization. But, I could be wrong. :lick:

If I had to guess on hers, I would say medication or some kind of illness which caused major stress to the body. And keep in mind, this could have been a couple months ago, since it looks like there is new, healthy nail growing out. Toes take 9 months to a year to completely grow out.

As for yours, it could possibly be fungal or injury. I can't really tell from the picture. Best bet would be to see a physician. But, that's just my opinions. :)

Ok guys news update. My mum forget to tell me that about 18 months ago she hit both her feet on the side of the swimming pool. She then lost two of her smaller toe nails. Then the big toes got small marks in the corner and have spread down ever since. She said she will still show the doctor as she has had medication issues as well. But if this is trauma damage what will the outcome be, will the nails eventually fall off. Xxx

It doesn't look like the nails will completely fall off. It looks like both ends are separated from the nail bed, but the rest looks like healthy nail. Although, I can't be 100% since it's just a picture I'm seeing! Lol.

Being 18 months ago on the injury, I would doubt that's the problem. In 18 months your toe nails could grow all the way out a time and a half! I can't imagine even an injury being in such a perfect, even line. But, good luck! And let us know what the doc says! :)

Also. Since the tips are obviously raised off of the nail bed, she could clip them down just a little shorter, just to keep from snagging them on something and ripping the nail the rest of the way off.

Last edited:
Thanks ambur

I will definitely post the results of both our toes, hopefully it will help other techs when facing problems. I've done all my contra actions and indications at college, but when actually faced with a problem it's easy to doubt yourself. Thanks again, will report back soon xxxx

Latest posts

Back