Help! Green Hair!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferrismouse

Reaction score
Hello all, I need some advice, quickly!

I coloured a client's hair yesterday, she is of Swedish origin so very light blonde hair (base 10-11) & I placed a few packets of meches with Wella Koleston 12/89 through to break up the creamy golden colour she has.

The result was very subtle & I wish I hadn't attempted it really.

She has contacted me today saying that her hair has a green tinge. I never noticed this yesterday.

I haven't seen her hair since this claim but I am wondering if any of you guys have come across this?

She did go swimming last week in a pool that she said was highly chlorinated but has had no previous colour treatments on her hair.

I'm in a panic now as I don't know if my colour service was the culprit & if it was, how it could have happened??

Please help!

Basically when the hair is blonde it is very pourous, so when your client does go swimming she will soak up the chemicals unfortunetlly! To get rid of the green tinge out of the hair you need to do a mild cleanse, (bleach and warm water) apply this to your clients hair and massage in as the heat will help speed up the process. If the hair is like a khaki darker green you will need to carry out the process of a cleansing shampoo! (bleach bath) 15mls bleach 30ml 6% 60mls warm water and 15mls shampoo! Massage in, and again its a visual process! Your client may need a few conditioning treatments after! Also to try and avoid her getting green hair again, tell her to wear a swimming hat, or if she doesnt want to tell her to apply conditioner to her hair before she gets in the pool as this closes up the cuticle, preventing any chlorine going into her hair again!! :) Hope this helps!!

Thanks so much! I actually said to her yesterday that her hair felt very porous & I asked if she'd done something different to it. I also noticed that her hair absorbed loads of water when I washed it & was very wet during the blow dry (if that makes sense). I have her coming around today so I can take a another look & if I do see any green/khaki & I will follow your suggestion if that's the case.

Your a star! Thanks!

yeah it neautralises the green without staining the hair. rub a bit of daddies in!

I have also heard that the ketchup trick works very well
Never tryed it though but no people who have, the only thing is it doesn't look very professional in the salon, u might just find the colour needs warming up slightly as clients can see colours very differently to us

Never had a problem doing it in the salon. Clients are often amazed at the simple tricks hairdressers have.

ketchup it?

Been recommending it for years. Old ones are always the best. It's a good thing for the client to do at home as no chemicals involved 

It is brill trick, went on holiday afew years ago with the girls and noticed my very blonde friends hair getting greener and greener by the day..... took some convincing to let me do it but a bottle of ketchup later and it was back to normal! :green: xXx

Wow never heard that one....love all the 'different' tricks like this!!!

Last year I went on holiday and had a swim in the pool as you do. It wasn't till I looked closely I noticed I had a faint tinge of green so off the dinner table the ketchup accidentally fell into my bag as a rescue package for when I did my hair that night and it did work.

Thanks so much! I actually said to her yesterday that her hair felt very porous & I asked if she'd done something different to it. I also noticed that her hair absorbed loads of water when I washed it & was very wet during the blow dry (if that makes sense). I have her coming around today so I can take a another look & if I do see any green/khaki & I will follow your suggestion if that's the case.

Your a star! Thanks!

Thats ok< as for ketchup, not the best thing to use!! :) xx

My hair went a bit green I
Turkey one year, I put ketchup on & it toned it down!! Smelt awful but was a quick fix while on holiday!!

I'm not a hair geek but there must be a scientific reason for ketchup working, if someone knows what it is e.g the acidity, the sugar then you may find a product that does the job but doesn't seem so odd! :eek: I'm sure Sallys will have a product to correct this. There seems to be a range called Ion that does a clarifying treatment in sachets.

You must also be able to get something like this in the uk

http://www.rprhaircare.com.au/view/rpr_retail/shampoos_conditioners/dechlorinate_my_hair/

Last edited:
Thats ok< as for ketchup, not the best thing to use!! :) xx
I disagree. Chemical or ketchup? The latter lol Then again, none of us have seen this girls hair. It's worked everytime for me.

I'm not a hair geek but there must be a scientific reason for ketchup working, if someone knows what it is e.g the acidity, the sugar then you may find a product that does the job but doesn't seem so odd! :eek: I'm sure Sallys will have a product to correct this. There seems to be a range called Ion that does a clarifying treatment in sachets.

You must also be able to get something like this in the uk

http://www.rprhaircare.com.au/view/rpr_retail/shampoos_conditioners/dechlorinate_my_hair/

Think about your colour star! Red neutralizes green!

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

I think it's actually the acidity, red in ketchup would just mask the green but the effect wouldn't last if it was rinsed off as it's not dying the hair. . .A quick google reveals it's not the chlorine but a build up of copper in the pool that causes the green tinge and therefore a shampoo with ions to attract away the copper is going to be most effective. Think of green copper stains on taps.

http://www.hairfinder.com/hair4/pool-green-hair.htm

ethylenediamene tetracetic acid is the ingredient you should be looking for.

http://science.jrank.org/pages/2588/Ethylenediaminetetra-Acetic-Acid.html

Et voila: ultra swim shampoo and conditioner contains this and according to reviews is gentle and works.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back