HELP....I've got the blues after Foundation Course (Creative)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone been through the same as me or was I never meant to do this?
Recently finished the Foundation course with Creative a month ago and have been doing a couple of people's nails since I finished the course. I have two main problems: after 4-5 days the nails will either come off completely in one whole piece (sometimes the person doesn't even realize) or they start lifting on the side of the nail (turning white-ish). I'm using Retension Plus liquid and their Perfect White & Pink powders. I really try my best everytime and I am praying I don't have a phonecall from either of the people, cause everytime it's bad news. I have so little confidence now and beginning to think I just haven't got it in me. someone out there tell me I'm not the only one?
Pernille

Hi Pernille,

Don't be so hard on your self hun!

Please don't worry my love, you are meant to do this and all you need is a good set of nails to get your confidence back up! :hug: Firstly ...

Have you checked that your prep steps are to the letter?

Are your ratios right, have you practised a few beads here and there to see if they are too wet or too dry?

I can't understand how L&P could just peel off, I would exepct this more from gel applied too thinly.

Are your tips being filed till translucent?

Hi Hun,
Dont be too hard on yourself, its early days yet.
Some of the more experienced girls may offer some other advice but, it suggests to me that if the nails are coming off whole... then they werent properly adhered in the first place.
Have you looked at your PREP ... if youre sure its not that, maybe you could talk us through your application and someone may be able to to offer some suggestions.
Also have you called your ambassador... they are usually more than willing to help. :hug:

Hiya Hun,

Don't feel down. You won't be a world class tech after just passing your foundation!

I had the exact same thing happen to me on my first ever set, I could not tell at the time, but have since leart that it turned out that my mix ratio was too wet and the acrylic was developing "holes" especially in zone 3 where I was trying to taper the product out, once I buffed and finished the nails they looked okay I think I had actually ended up with only 2/3 of the nail actually covered with product if that makes sense? Which made them very weak.. Plus the client had the most oily nails ever... So the two things combined meant 5 nails gone in a fornight!

But since then I have had clients miss appts then turn up after a month and all nails are on and have v. minimal lifting.

It's practice, practice, practice. Make sure that your client is under no illusions about your experience, but at the same time don't sell yourself short or apologise for being new to the business!

Make sure your prep is the best it can be. And also, why not try the acid free primer that comes with your Starter Kit? I find that helped me a great deal when my application was at it's worst!

I would also suggest that you get yourself on a half days nail surgery with your tutor or a 1-2-1 with them to improve on areas that you feel need it, but don't do it straight away, get some sets under your belt first so that you can see where you need to improve.

I did a nail surgery in March (I passed foundation in Sept.) and it was a massive help to me and I improved a great deal on certain things. Though I am still far from perfect and still charging model rates.

Good luck... I am sure the other geeks will be replying to this post too. They are all so fab on here and will always help.

PM me if you need to chat.

Miss B. x

Hi Pernille
Don't be so down hearted, I think this is a feeling we all go through. We do these courses and think we will be an instant success at enhancements. If it was that easy love then everybody would be doing it. The Foundation course is just what it says, a Foundation to lay down before all your further education. Practice, practice and more practice is the only way it will get better. I did my foundation course last November and I am still at a novice level and I can promise you that I felt just the way you do now.

Follow the advise from the more experienced technicians on here, ring your ambassador for advise and maybe if you are not getting the results you want in a few months time, book in for some one2one to get some excellent constructive help with your niggles.

Don't give up, try and be patient and most of all enjoy the experience and the advise this excellent site offers (make sure you read all the tutorials - an absolute life saver).

Cheer up, we are all here to help each other and you _are NOT alone_ having these doubts, you _HAVE_ got it in you! :)

Hi

As everyone else is saying just keep practicing. It is hard but you will eventually get the hang of it! Good luck and let us know how you are getting on. :biggrin:

There are probably a number of things causing these problems and PREP is surely one of them.

Problems like these are what 121 classes are for (and the tutorials on this site). No one learns and remembers everything after an intensive course like the Foundation course. It takes a long time and attention to detail and dedication to learning to become the technician you want to be.

If you thought it was a breeze you now know it is not. The great technicians out there with good businesses did not get where they are in 5 minutes. If you reallly love , have a passion for, and want to do nails, the Don't give up before you have given it your all.

You need some help so go to your Creative Nail Academy and get it where they are willing and able to give it to you.

foundation is only the beginning as miss b said! you never stop learning.When i first started doing l & p , it took a little longer than i thought to master................. how i got over this i had 121 for two hours boy i learnt more in that time than i didi all of the class, the class was rather large! This may build your confidence as much as give you some guided skills! Thank god i percievered as it is such a fabbio industry with so much happening and so much up for grabs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck let me know how you get on!

If it's any consulation, when I did my Foundation course in 2002 I felt the same. I was rotten to the core! A few times I felt like chucking the towel in. But I just couldn't help picking up that brush again. Prep was one of my downfalls and once I focused on that, I was away. It isn't easy other wise every one would be doing it. Just keep going , you'll get it in the end. One thing with the nail industry is that you never stop learning however long you've been in the business. Thats whats so enjoyable about it.

Keep your chin up, and practice , practice , practice.
Good luck:biggrin:

I've had problems with lifting in the past, now mostly sorted out. Here's a tip that my trainer told me yesterday on my rebalance day. She noticed that I had no lifting near the cuticle, but some at the side walls. She suspects that I've not been using as much pressure at the sides as I do at the cuticle. So maybe this is something you can look into too?:hug:

Latest posts

Back