Help...nail biter

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah240304

Reaction score
Hello all, as u know im a newbie so if ive posted this in the wrong bit then i apologise.
I have 2 sets of Acrylics to do on sunday, and one of the girls has informed me that she has really short, bitten nails!!! This has really put me off as ive never done a biter before and have no idea what to do. She has requested white tips and clear acrylic but im confused as to how the tip will stick if all there is is a tiny nail and bulbos skin at the end of it where the nail plate is supposed to be!!! I vaguely remember from my lvl 3 nvq days, that you have to cut oout the well of the tip and the sides...is this true, and how?? can someone please help me!!! thanks x

Firstly do not stress it's her fault her nails are bad and not yours, you can not perform miracles. I personally would not use white tips I would sculpt using natural powder and then paint or just leave natural and ask to return in a weeks time, as biters need to come back regularly as they have little nail plate for the acrylic to adhere to so therefore will be more likely to lift, but that is not your fault, its their habit therefore they should expect to pay more until they learn to keep their fingers out of their mouth.

Just explain that a white tip would look unbalanced and a natural looking enhancment would look much better until her natural free edge had grown out and then maybe she could have the french look.

xxx

These can certainly be tricky! My method is to use an opaque l&p powder to create a new nail plate for the client - building it right onto the client's nail bed and attaching to whatever nail plate is left.

I have then either painted the tip with French White polish, or I have attached a white tip to the newly formed product to create an extension.

When the client has had only a few millimetres of natural nail plate then I do not attach a tip to it - explaining to the client that she must keep her nails very short until her own plate has grown out enough to support some length.

Good luck!

I have always been a nail biter before shellac came along and saved my nails and I have always donw a lovely looking set on myself. I use the creative opaque powders for the nail beds to elongate them, either sculpting or using a tip and then applying white powder at the free edge. This way I can balance the nail with the right amount of white. I would never use white tips on a nail biter and wouldnt really want to put my name to them by doing this and people always look at your nails. I hope that this helps.

I had a nail biter tonight and after reading the tutorial about cutting out the sides slightly I was very impressed with the results even if I say so myself. I too had been dreading this.:)

I agree with sculpting.. tips on a nail biter dont always look good. Do it in reverse and create the nail plate first and extending it creating the illusion that its longer then it actually is. Then you can use the white to create a smile line just like a normal sculpt. Remember though to keep any enhancements short as the instant length on a nail biter is bound to irritate them causing them to bite and pick etc.

Some great advice yet I am still a little miffed as to how you put a form on these clients in order to sculpt :eek: if anyone could pull me out of the dark on this one it would be greatly appreciated!

Hey, check out this video on Nail Angel, it's really helpful on sculpting for a nail biter, including fitting a form.

Nail Angel: Login

I agere with the above. Nail angel is awesome!

Latest posts

Back