Help: need advice on gel polishes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LM Beauty

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am looking at starting to do gel polish but unsure of what type to go for.
Would love your comments on whether you prefer LED or UV and what brand etc

Thanks

Leanne

Hi everyone,
I am looking at starting to do gel polish but unsure of what type to go for.
Would love your comments on whether you prefer LED or UV and what brand etc

Thanks

Leanne

LED and UV only refer to the type of bulb, both produce UV light, so i don't consider a product to be any better than another, whichever bulb type it can cure with.

Shellac is my UV cured polish of choice, and offers everything I require of a product in the category,
but as you know there are hundreds of UV cured polishes/gel polishes nowadays. Have a little search around the site where this question has been asked loads.

You'll find a whole wealth of information on some of the more popular brands, such as CND Shellac, Gelish, Artistic Colour Gloss and so on. Join the product groups to ask more questions about ones you are interested in.

I would write down a list of features and benefit you are looking for in a product, then do your research to see which brand meets all those needs, read the reviews on here, try it out yourself and then go from there x

Hi there x I too have just started and after lots of research decided to go with cnd shellac due to reviews and a few person experiences I think it's the best in the market and I'm not cnd biased... I have a 36 watt uv lamp and it works brilliantly so far myself and my clients are thrilled with the results xx good luck x

I use bio seaweed gel its just come over from canada and ia massive in canada and America. I love it x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek

Hi there x I too have just started and after lots of research decided to go with cnd shellac due to reviews and a few person experiences I think it's the best in the market and I'm not cnd biased... I have a 36 watt uv lamp and it works brilliantly so far myself and my clients are thrilled with the results xx good luck x

Happy you chose Shellac but sad for you that you have chosen to use a generic UV Lamp and that you are not using the complete system. Not only does Shellac not reach a full cure if you do not complete the system with the CND UV Lamp, you are also risking poor service, possible overexposure symptoms etc, AND you are not eligible to be a part of lovecnd.com either.

Lovecnd.com is our CND salon locater for consumers (free advertising and recommendation for you and your business) which appears in consumer magazines so people can find recommended users of the whole system so they are guaranteed a genuine Shellac service, which regrettably you are not giving your clients at the moment. :(

I recommend you purchase the CND UV Lamp asap and come on board fully with genuine Shellac service and results.

Thanks for you response and advice it's taken on board and appreciated but I'm satisfied with lamp and my personal opinion having used both is that it works just the same. As for the rest if in furrier I decided to change ill take full advantage of that but for the time being I'm fine thank you.

Thanks for you response and advice it's taken on board and appreciated but I'm satisfied with lamp and my personal opinion having used both is that it works just the same. As for the rest if in furrier I decided to change ill take full advantage of that but for the time being I'm fine thank you.

Your 'personal opinion' does not negate the science! You are not giving your clients a genuine Shellac service and your insurance will be invalidated as you are going against the manufacturers instructions.

Without wanting to derail the thread... I wasn't aware that the lovecnd.com made any checks on whether you are using the correct lamp just if you are regularly buying shellac. Geeg could you confirm if this is actually the case as it would be good to know there is that added level of authentication.

Your 'personal opinion' does not negate the science! You are not giving your clients a genuine Shellac service and your insurance will be invalidated as you are going against the manufacturers instructions.

Without wanting to derail the thread... I wasn't aware that the lovecnd.com made any checks on whether you are using the correct lamp just if you are regularly buying shellac. Geeg could you confirm if this is actually the case as it would be good to know there is that added level of authentication.
Yes, I can confirm that each salon or mobile technician on the locator has bought the CND lamp ... That was very carefully checked on the sales records ... No lamp .... Not an approved salon.

I do find the arrogance of some quite astounding. According to what I've read,
Pretty polish has not been using Shellac for long, obviously has not got her facts straight, (which means she did not train with a CND educator) isn't willing to listen to the facts that she has had made available to her and hasn't been using Shellac long enough anyway to know if she is 'alright' or not.

Perhaps a little of the "lots of" research you did didn't include reading this: http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/172609-uv-product-summary.html

When clients start to have service breakdown like chipping, wearing, lifting and peeling and are thoroughly disgruntled and go elsewhere and tell others that Shellac is rubbish THEN maybe she will listen and take some notice. So continue to work uninsured, un approved, not offering a genuine service .... You would think one would want to actually do better than that, especially when starting out.

So to the OP, I would totally recommend Shellac but please, don't bother if you are not prepared to be smart and to buy the entire system which of course includes the CND UV Lamp, removal product, D.Sperse .... The lot; because systems make sense as they are made to perform at their best for your successful business when used together.

Last edited:
Gigi,

could you please give me the link to register myself on the salon locator please. I have registered and tried to look for myself but don't seem to be on it not sure if I have done it right prob not lol

Thank you xx

Gigi,

could you please give me the link to register myself on the salon locator please. I have registered and tried to look for myself but don't seem to be on it not sure if I have done it right prob not lol

Thank you xx
You register through Welcome - Sweet Squared but you can ring and get one of the team to help you through it. I'm not familliar with the whole process as I live in Spain and cannot even view it. Or one of the geeks can help you, but I really am not the best person to ask. X

What ever you do decide to go with use the whole package for the system as if it comes to an insurance claim you may find your not covered as you've not used the correct lamp as specified for the system.

The cnd lamp isn't that expensive at all yes it's xxx but unless your getting an eBay special you'll find most lamp are the same if not a lot more money.

I was unsure what system to go within till the bomb shell hit when ever I get my nails done its shellac I choose so its a no brainer now.

Everyone is full of I formation on here a lot of it amazing advise but if your unsure of anything contact the supplier most companies are more than happy to help I know s2 have answered lots for me.

With this gel, do you use LED lamp? I have a LED lamp and am looking for a nice professional gel :)
Shellac will not cure with an LED lamp. Use it with its own dedicated lamp, or don't use it at all.

Hi LeAnn,there are lots of gel polishes out there. I use gelish which I adore, as do my clients!
When I was training I used a regular 36w uv lamp, but once I qualified I purchased the 18g led lamp..the results are fantastic and EVERYONE commented how much a difference it made to the end result! I will always use the lamp for each system, and productss as taught- there's really no need to cut corners! If youre passionate about nails, and you keep bettering your work and services, there is no doubt you will make your money back.

I was asking about the bio seaweed gel. And what other professional gels can be cured with the LED lamp. Since I have the LED lamp already I won't use the Shellac since my lamp won't work with it. Thanks :)

I realise that but always I want to reiterate to everyone that if they are not prepared to use the whole whole system, no matter what, then don't use it.

Yes hun you can sure bio seaweed in a led lamp x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back