help needed!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red35

Reaction score
I am a fairly new nail tech. Have found this site fantastic.......i do have a question for all of you.
I have always buffed the surface of the natural nail with a white block. I have just received my nails magazine this morning and it shows how to do a playboy nail enhancment, using acrlyic. But it says the you buff the natural nail with a 100 grit file to remove the shine.
Please can anyone help me with this question, as now i'm not sure which to do.
Thanks for any advice

Jayne

I would never buff the natural nail with using a 100 grit abrasive!! No wonder people's nails are damaged by nail technicians who do this!!

Some products do require that the technicians be very aggressive in their treatment of the nail plate because otherwise these products will not adhere to the plate. But this is at the expense of the integrity of the natural nail.

High end brands do not require the nailplate to be etched or 'roughed up' in any way. ONLY THE SHINE (the oily surface) needs to be removed and this is more of a 'clean up' or exfoliation of the plate NOT etching or thinning.

Your white block would be fine for the job grit-wise if it wasn't for the fact that the block absorbs the oil and is soon contaminated where as if you used a soft grit buffer (say 240 grit) like the Koala Buffer from Creative, you can sanitise and reuse it many many times. Buffers are kinder to the plate than boards and tend to get into those hard to reach places more easily too.

Thanks very much for the information. I thought 100 grit was too rough for the natural nail plate. but with it being in a nails magazine it made me wonder. Anyway will use a different buffer now, so thanks once again

Jayne

If a product needed the natural nail to be roughed up with a 100 grit file, l would not touch it, plus like Geeg said there is no need to do that. You will do well if you listen to Geeg she is definately a Lady who Knows her stuff.

Hi,

I'm not into nail art but does anyone else agree with me that those nails done in the Nails magazine - playboy ones - are not very nice?

Yvonne

Yvonne Webster said:
Hi,

I'm not into nail art but does anyone else agree with me that those nails done in the Nails magazine - playboy ones - are not very nice?

Yvonne
Hiya Yvonne,
Yes I agree with you regarding the playboy nail featured:|
I think the natural nail looks in awful condition before they apply the enhancement, Then the actual nail applied looks poorly done and well very amateurish.

Hiya

Yep i agree just had a quick look and i think its awful to. I carnt believe it of that company i thought it was supposed to be quite good

just looked at this article and I am shocked! What was the editor thinking of??? Any new nail tech will be looking to publications like this for information and whilst members of this board may have see the errors, not all will and will be out there damaging someones nails!! "Etch the natural nail witha 100 grit file". I am so disappointed. I enjoy the articles in this mag for the tecniques it gives, how now do I know if there is bad information if things like this appear.

I also noticed that the whole enhancement was crooked, the cuticles were raggedy and the whole thing is bulging at the free edge line. The natural nail looks very sore and red in image #2.

Come on Kelly Mansfield - if you are reading this post, make us feel this won't happen again!!

I totally agree with Ella. I was shocked by the state of the natural nail in picture 2 - it looks so sore. In picture 4 the tip looks really crooked. I think is also a shame that you can see the natural smile line on the finished nail.

The design itself is fab though, and I love the designs on Toni's nails.

:mad: :mad: Just took a look a long loooook at that awful playboy nail, come on girls, im sure we wont be following those instructions or should I say distructions.!

I scanned this in, just couldn't help it.............
This is not how it's done girls.........
The design idea is fab.......but the sore nail is a no no and the condition of the nail is very poor.......What a shame, because this could have been a great step by step.............

Attachments

• playboy1.jpg
    playboy1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 128
  • playboy2.jpg
    playboy2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 104
Nailsinlondon1 said:
The design idea is fab.......but the sore nail is a no no and the condition of the nail is very poor.......What a shame, because this could have been a great step by step.............
I am HORRIFIED by these pics. Having said that I have just been to a technician because I can't do my own nails, having not been qualified long. She not only nipped the product away but proceeded to buff my natural nails with a 120 grit OPI board :mad: !!!! Arrgghh . Shock horror, this lady was Creative trained and using creative product ???!!!

I am dismayed that every one I go to seems to nip. Does everyone do this? Is it just me be being picky about this?

Hiya

No your not being picky, Nipping can damage the natural nail and it causes more work for the tech. The geek has an article on this you should read and next time a tech goes to nip your product off show her it.
Education, education.......... where would we be without it..............

nat said:
Shock horror, this lady was Creative trained and using creative product ???!!!

Thanks for sharing that bit of information with us Nat!!

You and I know that this girl was not trained that way by Creative don't we?

People either CARE or they don't ... People either have STANDARDS or they don't. Good training does not stop this type of person from sinking to the lowest common denominator. Sad but the fact is they have a 'I'm not bothered' atitiude. They know better than their trianing.

As to the photos .. what a shambles. If you are going to pay for a photo shoot why not use nice new abrasives and a lovely model? I can't figure out the mind of some people.

Hey that nail looks sore!!

It reminds me of my client who went elsewhere to have her nails rebalanced (while I was on a months holiday), well I was so shocked at the damage caused on five of her nails, there was even a ring of fire!! Apparently this tech is supposed to be qualified!
I am lucky in the fact that my client trusts me as in the fact that she has not had any problems of this kind whilst with me!! phew! and we are carrying on our treatments and watching this horrid damage grow out.

ps, Just LOOOOOVE your avatar Ruth lol! Cracks me up every time I see it!!!

luv Sarah x

Nailsinlondon1 said:

Oh i am so glad you have all discussed this- still being relatively new to nails (1 1/2 yrs) i find it difficult to weigh up whos right and who wrong.. well i know who's definately right - you guys- but when i looked at that i thought owch!! that nail looks red and the finished product looked a bit like my first l & P - well ok it was better but the fan sort of shape as it seems to do!!! but i thought well maybe this is the standard as its in a professional nail mag - imagine what new newies think!!!
I am just soo glad i found creative and their excellent standards

Ruth i can't see the picture! I keep clicking on the attached thumbnail thingy but it wont open!! :rolleyes:

that is awfull !!!!!!!!!!!!
here`s me worrying about blending the tip and that has hardly been blended at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i dont get the nails mag yet thanks for posting it ruth.

Jinxx said:
Ruth i can't see the picture! I keep clicking on the attached thumbnail thingy but it wont open!! :rolleyes:
Is there any chance of someone sending me a copy pleaseeee???

I have to say that after reading and looking at this section, I wasn't suprised by the end result and that was frankly a joke!!! Teaching to use a 100grit abrasive on the natural nail is bad enough, but if I were (ummm) the person incharge of (ummmm) that sub in Scotland, I would have put my foot down!!

You see Geeky Girls & Guys - you are all really now learning the art of design and beauty within your nail structures - I would have no more admitted that that was my work (which by the way it wasn't:o ) than admitting I have green nails - (which incidently again - I don't!!!) I am so glad that you guys can see the difference - that makes me hugely proud of you all :o yikes don't mean to sound like everones mum here but still....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back