help needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystal_sense

Reaction score
Hello all.. I was directed by the wonderful Healthy Pages site.. in the hope( please) that u guys may be able to assist me in my quest for a pain free set of nails... ho hum..

up untill 2yrs ago.. I regulary had my nails done with no problems.. until..I had a most strange reaction to something in the process, my fingertips got very itchy and swell up quite badly and ended upwith water filled blisters...around the tops and spread down to the sides of the fingers also around the front skin under the cuticle of the nail. yep a bad reaction.. all within 48hrs
no ideawhat had caused it...
s10.gif
I gave up for 6mths
but since that time ...I had had it done 3 times. and again, each time.. the same response but worse.... last time.. it took 4/5 weeks for my nails to calm down, had to forcefully remove them after 24hrs and a £35.00 down the plughole, . .. ouch!!..
banghead.gif

I tried acrylic scultured, tips, all sorts but difficult & a pain to.explain what my prob is..sometimes they are not interested in it and just do the nails....

anyone any ideas.. I heard about "silk tips" yes I could be tested.. but a lot of expense for a set of nails.. it would be lovely to have them done again.. but am terried to try...
nuts.gif
I have been queried if it could be the primer???.

soz it is sooooo long... but would love to have me nails sorted...
so here is a mission & a half... oh.. I live in bedfordshire so anymore near by... email me..
any help would be brill...
hugs to all...

It sounds like you have been overexposed to the product and this has caused a reaction.

Have you tried a system that does not us a primer?

Try Bio Sculpture, ask at the salon if you could have a nail does as a tester just to see if you react. A good salon will help you find a system that is right

Hiya,

Im sure there was a post on this before and the client ended up being allergic to the glue or something, I do agree with the above post and you should seek a good salon to do a test for you. Good luck, I do feel for you it sounds very painful

s1.gif
thanl for yr replys.. wow u guys are quick....
dogrun.gif

I will look into that.. don't know if anywhere in bedford does it.. will search..

just a pain having to hide my hands when it goes all wrong... the skin ends up peeling off and looks like I have leprosy
hidesbehindsofa.gif
and the looks from mates with the nodding heads.. ummmm she's done it..!!
s13.gif

anyways big hugs...
crystal

Hi Crystal
What a nightmare you have had! I'm amazed you are still smiling and want to go back there.

You mentioned you have had 'all sorts', it sounds like you are allergic to the 'acrylic' family which every system, type and brand belongs to.

With the sort of reaction you have had my best advice to you would be to have some manicures from a good nail salon and grow great nails of your own.

Your mention that you had to 'forceably remove them'!!!!!!! A return to the salon should have been recommended to you when you had them applied if there were any problems.

Unless you have a technician who is very experienced and will spend time and effort trying to find out if there is s specific product you are allergic to (but it may well be all of them) go down the manicure route.

Good luck
Marian

HIYA

well this sounds exactly like me i used to have my nails done with gel, for about 6 months and then all of a sudden i began to experience your symptoms, so like you i took them off myself. i left it for about 6 months then tried l&P this was fine again for about 4 months then the prolblems started again. I was due to learn nails with creative so had to have them off anyway for the course, but whilst doing the course i was overexposed to the monomer, all over my hands!!!
i came up with the most awful rash, itch, it was unbearable for well over 4 weeks it was the most pain ever and i have had 2 kids!!!!!!!!!.
any way... i am now a nail tech in both gel and acrylic, i have to wear gloves to apply the product, but its been 9 months now and all has been well so i decided to try the new brisa on myself making sure that it didn't touch my skin at all ever and i have no problems yet.
unfortunatly it is down to over exposure and bad application by the nail tech, it is something that i understand completly and take very seriously with my clients.
however my advice to you and what i did, is leave it for a while allow your skin to fully recover and your nail plates as some damage my have been caused get regular manicures encourage your nails to grow, once allergic always allergic unfortunatly, then you could try again with perhaps a wrap system or gel done by a very conciencious tech.
good luck babe!!!

senile dementia kicking in now.:smack: .... what is brisa??... does this mean as long I can find someone in area who does bio stuff there is a remote possibilty I can have my nails done again !!!!.... can u have nails done without primer...????.:cool:

you guys have been brilliant.. I have learnt so much in 1 day.. it is amazing.. and this site is great

..:hug:
hugs to all.

It could be the adhesive you have a sensitivity to, so why not try having your nails sculpted (ie without tips and the need for adhesive). I had a client who reacted like you, I just did one nail first for her to try and see if she reacted.

Brisa is a brand name of gel made by Creative, which I believe is hypo-allergenic.

I think Mum is right, unfortunately - whilst it is slightly possible that it is one product, such as the primer, which you may be reacting to, and that it might be a different ingredient in it that is causing the problem, but if you are allergic to acrylic then you will be allergic to all three systems - gel, l&p and wraps, and also to the adhesive that sticks the tips on etc.
In this case, then you won't actually be able to use any system I'm afraid. Sorry! But a good tech should be able to help you make the best of your natural nails. Regular manicures, good care, nail treatments etc should get you a lovely set of nails just as nice as any extensions you've had. Personally if you've had that much pain and suffering, I don't think it would be worth putting yourself through it again. Find a good tech who will take the time to listen to your situation and find a natural treatment program that will work for you. A good tech shouldn't listen to what you've suffered and just take your money anyway. To be honest it's daylight robbery and downright irresponsible (I'll get off my soapbox now!)
Sorry I can't give you the answer you might have been looking for, I just wouldn't put yourself through more pain, hun. I'm sure there'll be some Geeks in bedfordshire who can make your nails look lovely without having to have extensions.
Good luck, please let us know how you get on!
Lol xx

ta again for all the info...must admit.. got to be a pain keep asking people to open up cans & such.. so back to basics for me...
stay safe & chilled:) ... & may all yr customers be brilliant.

Hi Hun
I am sorry to sound like an old stick in the mud but manicures i think are the only way to go!!! I did a similar post a month or so ago regarding a client who had the same reaction...........and i will never ever put another set on her again.........i asked for advice and i t seems that my client is allerigic to the acrylic family which rules out any type of enhancement for her.......she is learning to accept this and we are giving her regular manicures to keep her nails in tip top condition.....and they are working!!

charly said:
unfortunatly it is down to over exposure and bad application by the nail tech, it is something that i understand completly and take very seriously with my clients.
I've been pondering this one and was wondering if it is ONLY over exposure that can bring on an allergic reaction ie monomer, adhesive, resin etc touching the skin or can someone have a reaction where product has been carefully applied to the nail plate only?

Thanks in advance.

nails@42ndstreet said:
I've been pondering this one and was wondering if it is ONLY over exposure that can bring on an allergic reaction ie monomer, adhesive, resin etc touching the skin or can someone have a reaction where product has been carefully applied to the nail plate only?

Thanks in advance.
Cathie,

I believe that if the product is only applied to the nail plate it can't cause a reaction as the nail plate is dead. Products have been tested specifically for use on nail plates (not skin!).
The exception I can think of though is - if you use a too-wet mix ratio, excess monomer could soak into the nail plate and then to the nail bed underneath, if this happened over a long period, could cause a reaction. Would suspect it more of a risk in someone with very thin nail plates or if the nail plate has been damaged by overfiling.
If I'm wrong I'm sure someone more knowledgable than I will correct me...:)

Latest posts

Back