Help please - what caused this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah-Nail Tech

Reaction score
I applied shellac on this ladies nails on Monday and she has just messaged me to say that 2 of her nails have peeled off! Here's a pic below of one of the nails. Never happened to me before...any ideas or how or why this happened?? ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1410462202.141463.jpg

What is your prep?

Do you use cuticle away and thoroughly remove it from the entire nail with water?

Did you scrub fresh properly including under the free edge?

Also did you cap the free edge?

This once happened to me on my own nails because I hadn't washed away the cuticle away properly and forgot to scrub fresh (don't ask me how I forgot)

Felicity xx

Like vanity beauty says... Please tell us your prep stages.
Did u cap the free edge??
What line of work does the cilent do??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I filed and pushed cuticles back then used scrub fresh. Nothing else was done as her nails were in good condition. And yes I did cap the free edge...unless I didn't do these fingers as well as I should have? 😕 she is a waitress and said she doesn't wash up as uses a dishwasher and wears gloves when cleaning? I know she is going away this weekend so maybe just too heavy handed when packing?? Xx

She could of had cuticle all over the nail including upto the free edge. Finger nail fixer did a great cuticle video on YouTube. I've found that if it's a new client that has never had a manicure then the cuticle does sometimes cover the whole nail. Did you use cuticle away xx

No her nails were fine as she used to have acrylics. Hardly any cuticle there and if there was this was pushed back or I used the nippers. No cuticle away was used x

I think she's used a chemical product that has caused the shellac to come away - it's happened to me a few times. The last product that caused it was chemical toilet liquid (!!). Even though she says she always wears gloves, does she really? I accept this is a difficult situation though as you don't want to call your client a liar. Does your aftercare sheet outline products to avoid? :)

I always use cuticle away, you can never be sure what's on the nail, just because you can't see any cuticle doesn't mean it's not there which can cause nails to peel. But it is possible chemicals have caused it. I'd get her in and redo with more cuticle work and see if that helps and double scrub fresh if necessary x

Felicity xx

This has happened on my nails.
Had a client have this happen to them, so I did a little testing on myself.
Did all steps as recommended, then cleaned the bath with 'Cif', one hand with rubber glove on, one without.
No suprise, the one without the glove lifted off, just as your picture shows, the other stayed perfect for just over a week! ( I'm a hairdresser, so a week is a good result for me!)
Not saying this is what happened to your client, but it is possible, these products are not invincible

Hi you said your client had previously been wearing acrylics, are her nails thin and over filed? If they are that could have caused them to peel. If that's the case do you have IBX or Brisa Lite Smoothing gel? Either of those would be good to apply before re-application.

Thank you for your reply ladies. Much appreciated! I am thinking it was some sort of chemical too but as you say can't really call her a liar! She is a new client too and this was the first time I had done her nails so was a bit embarrassed when she messaged me as thought it may have been something I done! It was a while ago she last had acrylics and her nails were fine and strong so don't think it was that. Oh well, she is going away today and not back until Monday so have agreed to go round tues morning to fix for her. Let's just see if anymore peel off as she is going to Pontins!! Only other person this happens to is my best friend who is a hairdresser, heavy handed and never wears gloves so I understand why with her! It happens to her if someone else does it too so I know it's not me. She is just a nightmare lol but luckily my bestie so I can always tell her off!! Xx

The lady has just messaged me asking for a refund as said they all peeled off! What do I do?? 😧

How long has she had them??? I can't believe the amount of that ask for refunds!!! I wouldn't offer a refund I would offer her next treatment at a discounted price as a gesture of goodwill perhaps??? Why should she get something for nothing??? You still spent time and products on her nails and if you have never had problems with other clients, she could be another one of 'those' clients xxx

I only did them on Monday! I didn't apply anything to nail before hand except scrub fresh and I capped the free edge so I know it isn't something I have done. Only other person this happens to is my best friend and she is a hairdresser who constantly has her hands in water & chemicals and hardly ever wears gloves!
Thing is I'm just starting out and trying to boost my business so don't want a bad name. She has asked for refund instead of me redoing them 😕 xx

Please do not offer her a refund. I would offer to repair (at a cost) but i would not refund. You can not guarantee how a client will look after their nails when they have left the salon. Offer to repair as a good will gesture, but one chipped nail does not amount to a full refund. x

sorry did not read your post properly. I doubt very much they just all peeled off,and without seeing them you only have her word. Do not worry about her bad mouthing you , regardless if you refund or not , she is not going to say anything good about you. Ask her to send you a pic so you can try and asses what has happened. x

This happened to one of my clients today too :( she is only 15 so didn't use any chemicals and has a broken thumb so she couldn't have been too heavy handed. She lives an hour and a half away from me is there anything she can do as a quick fix for her netball game in 6 days?? She's devastated she has to miss her grand final so she's on the cheer squad with her club colours :)

She has said she has peeled them all off but I have asked her to send me a pic so I can assess. Will post the pic on here when she sends it xx

How can she ask for a refund when she has just admitted to peeling them off herself?!?!?! Some people baffle me!!! Xxx

Im not nails or beauty! Just hair, i wouldnt refund her though! Shes only peeled them all off as one lifted? Whats to say she wasnt picking and prodding at the one to start?

As another poster said! Refund her or not she wont say abything good about you unfortunately. Had the same situation with a client who had hair extensions, some people really do have a cheek!!

Stand your ground!!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back