Help! tips coming off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanley

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Just want to say i love this site. The advice is brilliant. I've got a problem..I just qualified over a month ago with acrylic, gel, fibreglass & silk. I also do tip 'n' dip with acrylic powder and resin. The problem is i do a lovely set of nails (well i think so) all my clients love them too. But a few days after the nail tip will pop off or crack or break. (I use star nail tips) I'm not sure if its my prep work because i follow it exactly how my tutor taught me. I e-mailed her but she hasn't got back to me! Could anyone give some advise please...I've spent loads of nail stuff including a nail station and im really gutted. :eek:

Thanks in advance
Tanley x

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO if the nail tip is poping off you have used a tip too small for the nail, im sure someone will correct me if im wrong on this!!! Im sure some of the more experienced geeks will be able to advise you more.

Yes as Michelle has said it does sound like you are not putting the correct size tip on, or possibly the right shape tip,
if the tip does not sit nicely on the natural nail when you are sizing them up,
IE if you have to push the tip down onto the nail because the natural nail is flattish then once you have glued it onto the nail it will try to regain its shape and push up away from the nail causing problems,

if the tip is cracking have you wiped the tip at all with nail plate cleanser or acetone as this would cause the tip to crack,

also if your apex is not in the correct place this will cause a weak area and then they will break within days,

if it is not any of these then your clients are been heavy handed or picking, they all deny it until you learn how to recognise what has really happened to the nail,
if you are not charging for your sets of nails then the people that you are giving them to will not care about them and look after them as they should or as they would if they had paid for them, hth :hug:

could be a number of things....are you building the stress area ?

Hello and welcome to the site Tanley :)

Hi Tanley,
Don't worry as these are common problems to experience at the start, have experienced them myself and while it could be one thing in your prep causing the problems your experiencing it could also be your work materials or a combination of both.

With regard to tips popping off, it could be incorrect tip sizing, not using enough glue or not placing the tip on nail properly resulting in air bubbles and less of a bond. If you are sure that none of the above is responsible then try another brand of tips.The only time i ever experienced this problem was while using star nails french tips. Compared with other french tips i've used i found them bulky and stiff and i think this is why they popped off as they don't really flex.

With regard to cracking, again if a tip is too small for the nail it's applied to it will crack down the middle. If you are experiencing cracking only when using natural tips, then are you blending using a cotton bud and acetone ? Acetone weakens the tip and causes cracking, uneven blending may also be responsible check out Gigi's blending tutorial for excellent tips and advice. Also how are you cutting your tips once applied ? If using tip cutters are they possibly blunt ?

Breaking may be due to cracking, tips not having enough flex or heavy handed clients. Search the forum for how many times clients use the "oh, it just broke" or "It just came off" routine ! Generally with a bit of gentle questioning the truth comes out and it turns out they were cleaning out their coal fire without gloves or my personal favourite helping husband lay slabs lol. To get an honest report about the durability of your work do some free sets for trusted friends or your mum or sister. Tell them you are doing them for free because you need answers and that if they break or crack you need to be 100% sure why so you know if it's your work or because they were using their nails as tools then fibbing about it.

Hope this has given you some answers or at least some possibilities to explore, keep us posted on how you get on :) x

As said it could be down to a few things but I too wonder if it is down to not building up sufficient apex.

Could you perhaps take some photos of any nails you have done and we will then have a better idea of what it looks like.

Hi,

As it could be a number of things for example- Not etching/buffing the nail and dehydrating the nails properly and so on!

Yeah I think it would be a good idea to take some photos.:lol:

Thanks so much guys. Think ill try changing tips, any ideas? Ill pop some pics up soon.

x

Thanks so much guys. Think ill try changing tips, any ideas? Ill pop some pics up soon.

x

I dont think that changing tips will be your answer - some are better than others (I use cnd performance tips) as tips are only a platform for your product to sit on. It is the product that gives your enhancements the strength, not the tip.

Supply the photos and we will then have a better idea of what to suggest.

I dont think that changing tips will be your answer - some are better than others (I use cnd performance tips) as tips are only a platform for your product to sit on. It is the product that gives your enhancements the strength, not the tip.

I totally agree with oey. I had a very similar problem when i was first training. The problem was my apex- it was not sufficiently build and therefore when the nail was under any amout of strees it would crack along the nail and "pop" off.

good luck

Latest posts

Back