Help with acetone!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlamGeek

Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice with acetone and soaking off old acrylic for maintenance.

I recently used this option on a friend but her nail tips started to dissolve as well meaning I had to build up a couple of nails and re-tip some too. I've had my own nails soaked off in a salon before and am sure this never happened. Did I have a dodgy acetone (it was a lastminute purchase from boots, so not bought from a supplier!) or is this normal and I should avoid soaking with tips on?

Many thanks.

i think your memory must be playing tricks !

acetone always disolves nail tips, in fact they will usually disolve faster than the overlay.

only soak off in acetone if you want to remove the complete set.

if you only want to remove some of the product, then use a file to rebalance them in the normal way.

Thanks a lot. I'm going mad! I know how strong acetone is and how is dissolves some plastics but couldn't remember about nail tips. You can tell I've just qualified! Must go through my coursework again. :eek:

Now this is a comment on your training not on you so please don't take it personally. I think you should question your training provider why they didn't cover maintenance and removal thoroughly! You should have maintained and removed many, many sets of nails before qualifying.

This process is just as important as the application sometimes more so as this is how you hold on to clients

i was taught at first the you can use acetone on the end of a cotton bud to wipe over where the infill is needed then to file as its a short cut but the down side to that is to much will dissove more tha what you want and you can get it on clients skinannd its very drying. Stick to the filing only method once right its a simple process
Defo contact your training provider and question maintaince that you covered though :)

it is bad if the training provider didnt teach about removal.

but sometimes students have so much information to digest on beginers courses that its hard to take it all in.

they have to use so much concentration to perfect their application methods that knowledge that they will not need until later can sometimes get a back seat in the memory department.

your trainer didnt teach you to soak as an aid to filing i hope ?

it is bad if the training provider didnt teach about removal.

your trainer didnt teach you to soak as an aid to filing i hope ?

I'm afraid it seems like this is exactly what has been taught!!!

Is it any wonder that the standard of work is so low with so many technicians when they are taught this s**t information in college of all places??

You should never use Acetone as a short cut to filing ... not with anything. If you think about it for even a second it should be obvious to anyone that this is a stupid thing to do and will only cause you problems later down the road. Mainly yellowing and service breakdown.

I was also taught to use Acetone as an aid to filing and blending, this was not at college though, it was on a 2 day course which covered all systems, which I now know was a very silly move on my part as I had never had any previous training so was a complete nail newbie.........I am now saving for my CND courses so that I can start afresh!

ive also heard of techs using PRIMER to aid in filing..... eh! sweetness the only time you should soak enhancements in acetone is when youre completely removing them, and this only needs to be done when they dont want them anymore, never for maintenance!!! pleaseee review that course work and if anything else in there strikes you as a bit odd dont hesitate to post on here!!!

Latest posts

Back