Help with Clear Tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jogels

Reaction score
I am wanting to use some clear tips with gels. I have never used clear tips before so I have a couple questions. I am wanting to do some glitters with a transparent effect.

1. Will I have to file the natural free edge very short, so there is no free edge showing?

2. What happens when the natural free edge starts to grow out? Will I have to put some glitter/ rhinestones over this area to disguise it?

3. I have read that sanitizer breaks down or splits/cracks clear tips, is this so?

Any other suggestions or pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hiya if you are using glitter on the free edge do it as tho you are doing a french .
Then when they need rebalancing you just take the glitter further down the smile line hth.
Yes if you use scrub fresh over the tips this can cause the tips to crack.

1. Will I have to file the natural free edge very short, so there is no free edge showing?
Yes, & its amazing how fast the free edge seems to grow when you dont want it to!

2. What happens when the natural free edge starts to grow out? Will I have to put some glitter/ rhinestones over this area to disguise it?
Thats what i end up doing

3. I have read that sanitizer breaks down or splits/cracks clear tips, is this so?
Scrubfresh and other products containing acetone all seem to crack all tips.
ps, imo if you're comfy with sculpting, I find that to be much simpler & faster than using the clear (or I suppose any other...) tips.

Hello!
Also, take into consideration what kind of gel you will be using with what kinds of tips! LCN gel shrinks when it is cured, so the tips will most likely crack soon after your client leaves if you don't use their tips. On the other hand, Young Nails gel puffs up when cured, so any tips are going to be fine. Those are the only two gels I know anything about, so if you're not using one of these, you might wanna look into your gel.

Ruth
Can I get the same effect if I use clear gel to sculpt (I don't use l&P) rather than using clear tips? Would I have to file and shape the gel smooth before I added the glitter?

Darcie
I will be using Pinaccle tips and Amore gel.

Thx

Ruth
Can I get the same effect if I use clear gel to sculpt (I don't use l&P) rather than using clear tips? Would I have to file and shape the gel smooth before I added the glitter?
Darcie
I will be using Pinaccle tips and Amore gel.
Thx
Sorry , I dont use my gel as I really need to convert to something better, lol
I'm sure another more knowledgeable geek can help you better there. :)

Sculpting with clear is fine. Yes you would have to buff and shape then add your desired effect. ie glitter . I use calgel and sculpt clear and add glitter gel just on the tip like french manicure and the light does come through from behind making a lovely sparkle effect. HTH's.

Latest posts

Back