Help with diagnosing the attached

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauty-Mai

Reaction score
Hi everyone - have a client who has recently come to me for her shellac. She has had 5 appointments each with a 3 week interval. On her fifth visit her nails were as per the attached photo - white bits on the nail plate. She is a religious user of solar oil twice per day, doesn't have a very manual job, works from home no children. She is currently on hormone medication clymoval but has been on that since she came. She has recently had the flu and pneumonia jabs since her last shellac. She always has French with silver VIP except for forth appointment when she had blush teddy and grapefruit sparkle. Her nails were quite soft when she first came but have improved dramatically. I use only CND products and do a thorough pep everytime using cuticle away.

Would be extremely grateful if anyone could come back to me with ideas of why this may have happened. She's very pleased with her nails and it hasn't put her off but we would both like to know what may have caused it and if there is anything we need to do.

Many thanks guys - much appreciated in advance.

:)

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1383464859398.jpg
    1383464859398.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 409
This is just a bit of surface dehydration following a removal by the looks of it. I see nothing to be concerned about at all. Just reapply, go on with solar oil application at home and be extra careful not to scrape the nail plate as you prep and remove so as not to cause any damage that will be highlighted by this dehydration.

Thanks very much belle vie - that was my first thought too dehydration and I said this too her but she seemed to be doing the opposite of what would usually cause this. thinking about it it the bottom part of the nail the shellac flaked off beautifully but towards the end it was more difficult and needed a bit of help. maybe she's not putting her oil all the way to the tips and concentrating only on the eponychium - I'll check that with her.

thanks for taking the time to respond much appreciated :)

Thanks very much belle vie - that was my first thought too dehydration and I said this too her but she seemed to be doing the opposite of what would usually cause this. thinking about it it the bottom part of the nail the shellac flaked off beautifully but towards the end it was more difficult and needed a bit of help. maybe she's not putting her oil all the way to the tips and concentrating only on the eponychium - I'll check that with her.

thanks for taking the time to respond much appreciated :)

To me this looks like classic signs of her nails bending and flexing while wearing Shellac and loosening the Shellac somewhat while also removing some layers of nail plate which in turn is causing the dehydration marks on her nails once removed.

This would explain why her Shellac comes off so easily in that area. I bet when she first came to you her nails were not nearly as long as they are now. She needs to wear them shorter, or have Brisa Light Smoothing Gel underneath to stop the nails flexing.

Last edited:
To me this looks like classic signs of her nails bending and flexing while wearing Shellac and loosening the Shellac somewhat while also removing aome layers of nail plate which in turn is causing the dehydration marks on her nails once removed.

This would explain why her Shellac comes off so easily in that area. I bet when she first came to you her nails were not nearly as long as they are now. She needs to wear them shorter, or have Brisa light smoothing gel underneath to stop the nails flexing.

I agree Geeg. I'm seeing this more often from fairly new clients. They think they can manage with their nails longer and won't take my advice of keeping them at a manageable length that will suit their lifestyle.
They come round to my way of thinking eventually.

www.nail-ific.co.uk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree Geeg. I'm seeing this more often from fairly new clients. They think they can manage with their nails longer and won't take my advice of keeping them at a manageable length that will suit their lifestyle.
They come round to my way of thinking eventually.

Welcome to Nail-ific

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
those clients need to graduate to Brisa Lite ... Smoothing or Sculpting gel depending how much strength they need. X

Thank you both for your replies - yes that is correct her nails were much shorter when she first came mainly because of the condition they were in. We talked about everyone having a manageable length which was not necessarily going to be the length we want so having the conversation with her about taking them down should hopefully be quite easy. I'll give her the option though of having just shellac but wearing them shorter or adding brisa smoothing if she wants the bit of length. thanks again for taking the time to advise and educate :)

Latest posts

Back