Help with tips cracking off!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsCallie

Reaction score
I have spent a lot of time reading previous threads about related problems. I am a newbie and need some help from experienced geeks.
I did french white tips with Calgel on a friend (thankfully!) the other day. I am just learning and did it for free. Unfortunately one tip broke off that same night and 2 other ones are now cracked where the white tip attaches to the nail. (ie. the gel is cracked and the tip is loose)
Here is what I did. From what I have read I think I needed to file the tips to fit the side walls better
-prepared and sanitized nail
-added tips - placing them according to well fitting her nail properly - her nails were quite short and they ended looking like the white tip covered too much of the nail plate - I have read now that I could have trimmed the well so they would look more natural
-buffed the shine off the tip, sanitzed
-applied 2 layers of calgel, making sure to unload on stress area, curing for 30 seconds after each
-applied Calgel UV gel and cured for one minute
-wiped away sticky residue and applied calcrystal
I am a little discouraged, because I don't know what I did wrong. My trainer suggested a 3rd coat of clear.
Any ideas??? Thanks a bunch!

Hiya ...sounds to me like not enough product was used over the stress area. Also white tips are not blended and blended tips are stronger.....what i would recommend to do for more strength and a nicer look (re: short nail beds) is to apply and blend clear tips and then use a pink coverage gel (sure calgel do one) then use the calgel white paint to do the free edge and place the smile line in a more attractive place...then clear gel over the whole thing...and carry on as normal.

Or... you could try sculpting.

Hiya ...sounds to me like not enough product was used over the stress area. Also white tips are not blended and blended tips are stronger.....what i would recommend to do for more strength and a nicer look (re: short nail beds) is to apply and blend clear tips and then use a pink coverage gel (sure calgel do one) then use the calgel white paint to do the free edge and place the smile line in a more attractive place...then clear gel over the whole thing...and carry on as normal.

Or... you could try sculpting.

Thanks Angie. I think I will purchase some clear tips and give that a try. I need to practice painting the white on as some nails seem to turn out streaky. I have also tried some sculpting, but have a problem fitting the forms correctly under the nail so there is no gap. Some nails look great and others don't work out (ie. one corner doesn't form). Are you suggesting a pink overlay so it hides any blending that isn't quite right? I do have a pink colour that would work nicely. I really appeciate your advice!

Try to remember that tips that break are under too much pressure and cannot withstand it! Why?

There can be many reasons why tips break.

One that has been mentioned is too little product over the stress area. But even nails that are constructed correctly can also break!

The main reason clients break nails is really simple .... they are not used to the extra length and they (a) hit them into things or (b) they pull against the tip (laundry, car door handles) (c) they tend to 'play' with them in their mouth or tap them against things or scrutinise them closely and pick and poke and prod them etc.

More often than not, breakage has nothing to do with how many layers you have put over the stress area ... it is to do with the client and her inexperience of having nails that grow further than the ends of her fingers!!

The only point that I could add is that I dont find the softer soakable gels (I use Bio Sculpture) that good with tips, so I only sculpt with them if extra length is needed.

They are great otherwise.

Do you use any other range of nail enhancements?

Thanks Angie. Are you suggesting a pink overlay so it hides any blending that isn't quite right? !

No...tips should always be blended properly...i suggested a coverage pink as you mentioned the nail beds being very short and there being more white than pink. The coverage pink gel will hide the natural smile line so you can elongate the nail bed and place the white..(smileline) in a more flattering place...xx

Thanks everyone - I feel like I have some new strategies to try. I am going to try regular tips on my friend this week, hopefully with better results.

Latest posts

Back