Hi I am a newbie!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilz

Reaction score
Hi there

My name is Gillian and I live in Scotland. I am new to this trade. I have done an introductory course in Beauty Thearpy 2 years ago and enjoyed it but was unable to persue it due to family commitments.

I am looking to do my spray tanning course and to become a mobile spray tanner. I was looking at doing the Fake Bake course however the dates they have available that would have suited me have just been cancelled and the other dates are much later on and I dont want to wait that long.

I wanted to know from anyone in Scotland that has done a course where, who with and how much. I also wanted to know how confident you felt after the course to go out and start your business. How many practice tans did you do before you felt ready or did you feel ready straight away. Oh one more thing how many tans in average do you do a week.

Lastly wheres the best place to buy your kit and what type of tanning machine would you recommend.

Like I say its all new to me but I am excited about starting my new business and am hoping it will take off.

Gillian

Hi Gillian, fellow scottish geek here, I am in fife so not too far, if you go onto the guild website they have a search facility for certertified courses, one thing you have to make sure your course is, there's also a seach facilty here, if you go onto the main page of the skin geek area, you will see it at the top right hand side, and you can do a bit research and read about other peoples experiences and things, will do a little search for you and post a wee link to get you started xx Ruth

Salon Geek - Search Results

theres info there on equipment that ahould help you too xx

Hi Gillian,

I did my course at Aesthtique- Academy of Beauty in Dundee. I only paid £40 for it, it was a one day course and very good value! I was pretty much ready to go straight away. But i think it depends how much of a 'natural' you are. I found it really easy, as long as you listen to your trainer and maybe practice a couple of times i can't see why you would have to wait before going out and spraying clients. I got my certificate on the day after my trainer assessed the tan on my model.

To be honest i'm unsure of other places that offer tanning courses other than the Fake Bake one, although i think there may be a Scottish beauty academy which offers a course? Maybe try googling it if Dundee is too far?

In terms of kit, for me defo the LA Tan package (machine, solution, tent and measuring cups). I use 3 colours (10,12 and cocktail which is 14%). They have brought out a smaller cheaper HVLP which looks really portable too. I made my money back quite quickly and my clients love the colour and i wear it too! If not then Nouvatan solution is nice and they have excellent customer service! Maybe ask for samples first? Be wary on websites- sometimes something looks cheap until you get to the very last stage and they whack on VAT! So annoying!

Hope this helps you :) Lucy xx

Welcome to Salon Geek :hug:

If you need any help finding your way around, please ask one of the Geek Guides for assistance in My Forum.

Take the opportunity to look at the Tutorials, Articles, Social Groups, Blogs, Commandments of a Geek and the Forums, to familiarise yourself.

The search facility on the site will help you to find the answers to many questions but if not, please post them to whichever forum is best relevant.

Hope that helps in the meantime.

PS: Don't forget to introduce yourself to the Geek Guides in My Forum.

Hi there, I done my training with fake bake through the college i trained with but to be honest i wouldnt use there tan now as i really dont like it ! you should check the carlton institute website they train with xen tan in glasgow xx

Latest posts

Back