Hiya...mobile after training ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linni

Reaction score
hi everyone :green: im new to all this:lol: and looking forward to getting some great advice. IM lynn from newcastle and studying a level 2 diploma in nail technology,,, and love it... i wish i had of done it 10 years ago. lol...

Im hoping someone could give me some advice.?
the thing is i want to get a job in a nail salon but no one will give me the time of day,, so i was thinking when i qualify i will go mobile.... does anyone think this is the "right" or "wrong" thing to do????:rolleyes:
i did want to get a year or so experience in a nail salon but like i said no one will give me the time of day..:irked:
i will be qualified in fibreglass, gel, advanced gel, acrylic and hollywood toes, also a certificate in OPI products..
Thank all xxx:Grope:

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the site, you will be hooked before you know it...
I started mobile once I finished training, but work from home now as I prefer it, so it is do-able, good luck..x

Welcome to the site hun, you are going to love it here, it is so addictive the housework stops now hun lol :)

Yes I think it is possible to go mobile after qualifying.

Good luck
Sue

thank you, i already am lol, trying to get used to it like.. haha

Welcome Doll..xx

thanks tracy x

Hiya Lynn - and welcome to geekville :hug: You're going to love it here...you'll find loads of help and advice, as well as fantastic tutorials!! Enjoy :green:

Hi Lynn and welcome to the site.

As everyone has already said it is a fab place to be and help is always to had any time of day or nite.

Any way to your question honey there is not wrong or right advice on this one as everyone is different. So people start on family and friends then move to extended friends etc then mobile then salon.

When you are ready you will find the righ choice for you whether it is mobile first or straight to salon work.

Good luck on your journey:hug:

Hi, welcome!
Can i ask which course you are doing? is it at college or private trainer? it sounds similar to one i am looking at doing! still undecided and getting very stress about which one to do!

xxx

hiya , yeah im at college part time, its a level 2 diploma in nail technology... its very intensive with it only being part time and for 1 year,,, but i love it.. lots of written work to do but i even enjoy that because im learning all the time. the course covers manicure, pedicure and the fibreglass system, but my tutor has added gel, advanced gel, acrylic and hollywood toes which all of us students asked for.. i would defo do it, its the best thing i have ever done.. i hope this helps.
good luck xx

thanks everyone xx

Well for what it is worth I would not go mobile after training for all the tea in China! It may be the way most people start, but unfortunately you do not see the majority of those people making a monetary success of it! Hard work, allot of messing about, no feedback, very little exposure etc etc.

My advice is to start in a home salon environment if at all possible, gain some experience and then rent a space in a salon (beauty or hair) and get going with a business.

Get your name out there by dropping cards everywhere where women go ... tell all your friends and family to tell their friends and family ... tell all the mums at your children's' school ... get your name on peoples lips by doing outstanding work.

Hi,

I have the same problem..i qualified over a year ago, and have been practsing on family & friends with my college nail kits.

I am researching into mobile as well, i had suggestion on this site to get experience in a salon, but like you say no-one gives you the time of the day!

I am getting advice from people on this website,on what products to buy, and where, as i trained with a college who provide no back up at all.

I cant do home based right now,its not convenient for me. Ive asked around to rent a space in a salon, no-one want to give me one.

But i wont give up! im gona advertise in local supermarkets, get leaflets done, and get a website up and running.

Good luck!

hi rita, how hard is it to get a job??? lol too hard if you ask me... hahah, yeah im going to go mobile, you know in the last 2 months i have rang and wrote letters to 52 salons, yes thats right 52.. and iv had 2 replies, yes thats right 2... what a waste of time.. if no one is going to give me a chance im going to go out there and be the best nail technician in newcastle upon tyne that they have ever seen!!!!! "im hoping" haha so i wish you all the luck in the world hun. xxxx

I decided whilst still training that i wanted a home based salon, so the front section of my house is used for the salon. I have a downstairs bathroom, waiting area and a nice size room where I do treatment, the front entrance is used for clients only and the family uses the back way. I do private residential mobile jobs and pamper parties but otherwise I work from home. I like both as it is nice to get out and about but I also like to be at home. I personally would not want to work in someones salon I enjoy working for myself and to run my own business how I want to and when I want to. it is hard to start with as I had friends and family to support me whilst perfecting my skills and then in time they told their friends and family etc, I now have a good client base but it has taken me over a year to get where I am now and a lot of hard work getting my name out there. I did abit of advertising and got friends to put up posters where they work in staff rooms, my family own businesses so that helped as well. I also did leaflet drops in my area but that was a waste of time for me anyway. good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Hi Linni,

I totally understand you!!! The frustration drives you mad!!

Ive done the same, phoned salons, written to them, even asked if i could do voluntary work just to gain experience,but NO-ONE wants to know.

Im just going to start building my equipment up, and start advertising, and take it from there.

Wish you all the luck!!!

hi rita, you go girl!!!! i wish you all the luck in the world hun.xxxx

Latest posts

Back