HMRC Tax Credits self employed - being assessed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately the government are the holders of the laws, if they want it they can have it, same as police & hmrc I can't help but think why tho what would they say to the clients? Did you have your hair done on Monday? How much did you pay? It's stupid! My supplier is an independent warehouse they have no idea who I am or where my shop is, what would they say? Oh do you sell to Jodie from kahuna hair, they'd be like huh??

@ciderella71 is your claim currently suspended while they investigate? Or are you still getting tax credits while they do it? I really agree with you about how this will affect your business it's too much to contact your customers I think

@ciderella71 is your claim currently suspended while they investigate? Or are you still getting tax credits while they do it? I really agree with you about how this will affect your business it's too much to contact your customers I think
No my current payments haven't changed.
I have a week to supply the information. I tried to call today but they are closed until tomorrow for IT work to be carried out so I'll try again tomorrow. Gutted is an understatement!

I've now received a letter asking for contact details for all my clients and suppliers and authority for them to contact them.
I'm now really upset as I see this could be potentially damaging for my business and reputation. I don't want locals gossiping about my personal business and finances as the letter is sent from Tax Credits Office!
That is so intrusive! I have to say I think what they're doing has gotten way out of hand. I understand their need to ensure that claimants are genuine and entitled to what we receive but contacting your clients outrageous. Surely that affects yours rights to privacy and data protection. As you have said I think it's worth pointing out to them how damaging this could be to your business reputation which in turn could make you LOSE future business what ch surely defeats what they're trying to achieve?! Crazy :mad:

OMG I can't believe they want to talk to your clients. Baffles me how talking to your sullpiers and clients is going to prove your entitled to claim what you do.

I've now received a letter asking for contact details for all my clients and suppliers and authority for them to contact them.
I'm now really upset as I see this could be potentially damaging for my business and reputation. I don't want locals gossiping about my personal business and finances as the letter is sent from Tax Credits Office!

This is so stressful. I had weeks of worry when I had a similar situation. It's horrible but I never had them wanting to call people such as clients etc. Unfortunately you can't say anything but let them get on with it. They always get funny if you say anything other than ok sure anything ele's.. I have spent a year paying back an overpayment from last year. I've had £35 a week from them and sometimes I wonder if it's all worth the headache

Under the data protection act I wonder whether you are actually allowed to hand over client details. I know they are the HMRC but still.

I've decided I'm not giving them contact details for my clients. I've given much more info than some of you have said you provided so I think they have sufficient to make a determination. If it goes against be then so be it.

I've decided I'm not giving them contact details for my clients. I've given much more info than some of you have said you provided so I think they have sufficient to make a determination. If it goes against be then so be it.

Would you be made liable to pay back all of last years money like Ive had to? It's a massive risk

I've only got a handful of numbers for my clients, most of them I don't even know their surnames!

I have to admit I wouldn't give them permission to talk to my clients either, I'd have no worries about them contacting suppliers but still don't understand how that would help them know if your entitled to claim what you do.
Really hope they make their decission quickly and it's in your favour.

I've only got a handful of numbers for my clients, most of them I don't even know their surnames!
Surf Girl that's a worry, you should have their details on your client record cards.

Is this purely based on Working Tax Credits?? Or is it if they decide you're not entitled, they take all Tax Credits off you? [emoji33]

Is this purely based on Working Tax Credits?? Or is it if they decide you're not entitled, they take all Tax Credits off you? [emoji33]
Working tax credits as my circumstances haven't changed

Working tax credits as my circumstances haven't changed
Sorry to worry you Ciderella but I believe they stop ALL money if they deem you to have claimed wrongly, as the claim you make is one form for both working tax credits and tax credits.
You may be allowed to reapply for tax credits if they say you are not entitled to working tax credits but from others who had their money stopped I am pretty sure that ALL money is stopped.

Do you not have an accountant who can give advice and get this sorted. I would just speak to my accountant!

Do you not have an accountant who can give advice and get this sorted. I would just speak to my accountant!
An accountant isn't going to be able to help when HMRC are trying to decide if you have claimed correctly or not. An accountant wouldn't have a clue what they want, even the HMRC didn't know what they wanted when I rang them (it is a totally different section of the HMRC).

Under the data protection act I wonder whether you are actually allowed to hand over client details. I know they are the HMRC but still.
I've already checked this out and the government and HMRC are not bound by the data protection act when they require information for tax collecting purposes o_O

They are, quite literally, a law unto themselves!!

I got an overpayment letter after months of supplying them with this and that like you
They said the previous tax year my payments were wrong I owed them £4000 and they would take that from my future payments which ended up a big fat zero and they even chipped into my child tax credits which they allowed me just £35 a week

Words can't describe how ridiculous this situation is. Spoke to 2 assistants who hadn't a clue what they were doing and the letter sent to me is wrong. All he needs is a sample of invoices for my suppliers. Lots of stuttering, long delays in replying and apologies etc and very little knowledge or common sense displayed!
I need to pass the "commercial and profitable test" which I agreed with and he said my expenses were high. Yes it's my first year trading?? He accepted that and said he'd tried calling several times but I didn't answer. Eh...I was working...
He confirmed if I fail the test it will only be the WTC that will be removed from future payments.

Words can't describe how ridiculous this situation is. Spoke to 2 assistants who hadn't a clue what they were doing and the letter sent to me is wrong. All he needs is a sample of invoices for my suppliers. Lots of stuttering, long delays in replying and apologies etc and very little knowledge or common sense displayed!
I need to pass the "commercial and profitable test" which I agreed with and he said my expenses were high. Yes it's my first year trading?? He accepted that and said he'd tried calling several times but I didn't answer. Eh...I was working...
He confirmed if I fail the test it will only be the WTC that will be removed from future payments.
Isn't it amazing how nobody knows what is going on when you ring them, I am glad the letter they sent wanting to contact your clients was wrong and they just want suppliers invoices, hopefully they will hurry up and make the decission in your favour. So stressful.

Latest posts

Back