Home removal of Shellac or Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claireybearyowen

Reaction score
Dear Geeks,

Have just been perusing the forum and FB (while I nurse my poorly back :irked: ) and I have come accross indications of clients being able to remove their Shellac / Gelish and other similar gel polish treatments at home?

Now it's not something I would actively encourage as I offer a removal service with nourishing mini mani, and of course we all want repeat business and reapplication, but for those clients where an appointment is not possible what do you recomend???

I saw a comment where maybe Shellac remover wraps are offered to the client, or a wee package of goodies is made up and priced accordingly and I just wondered what anybody else offers ??? And how you would advise to price it, I know you we can't talk specific numbers but mark up would give me a rough idea.

Ta Claire :hug:

Hi

I felt uneasy about the home removal idea too, until I realised that I'm mobile lol. The time, petrol etc involved in doing a removal makes a removal kit a good idea! But I find most people want a re-Shellac anyway.

Re margin I haven't yet found a way of making a lot on this, and it has to be less than having me come to remove it professionally, iykwim. Up to now I've just included a pack of CND remover wraps and a 50ml bottle of acetone from Capital. I'm thinking of adding a pinky bottle of Solar Oil too but haven't priced this up yet - but I still want to keep it cheaper than me doing it so we'll see about that! Hth x

Hi

I felt uneasy about the home removal idea too, until I realised that I'm mobile lol. The time, petrol etc involved in doing a removal makes a removal kit a good idea! But I find most people want a re-Shellac anyway.

Re margin I haven't yet found a way of making a lot on this, and it has to be less than having me come to remove it professionally, iykwim. Up to now I've just included a pack of CND remover wraps and a 50ml bottle of acetone from Capital. I'm thinking of adding a pinky bottle of Solar Oil too but haven't priced this up yet - but I still want to keep it cheaper than me doing it so we'll see about that! Hth x

Hey Moomin,

Yah very helpful ta :)

I was thinking that remover wraps would be easier for a client to handle rather and cutting cotton pads and fiddling with foils, the pads are already cut and good to go with a splosh of remover.

I LOVE pinkies, they are such a fab intro size to Solar Oil :)

Fanks again x

I think a lot of Geeks have missed the point with removal.

This new service has the potential to bring lots of new clients. There are MANY more natural nail clients than there are enhancement clients. One of the many reasons for this is the fact that enhancements tie clients in to salon visits and cost. This is great for salons but is not always what clients want!

Why run the risk of frightening off clients by not giving them the choice?!

They will LOVE the service and will return but may be worried that their choice is taken away? If you treat the service more like a traditional polish that can be removed 'when they get fed up with the colour', 'the colour chips', 'can't afford the service' etc etc, they will be far more confident in trying it out.

Removal can so easily be done at home! Salons cannot charge a good amount for removal so why even try?

Bring in those natural nail clients that don't want to be 'hooked' by giving them them the choice. They will love the freedom of perfect nails and be back!

I agree, I have had more people having gel (knowing they can remove it when they are ready) rather than being frightened off with the commitment.
I always make sure I take the first set off so they can see how to do it properly & show it leaves the nail without damage.

Thank you Mum and Poobear,

I just got the distinct impression that home removal was not recomended or encouraged and as such I have been offering the removal service ( Although I haven't dont it yet, ALL have come back for more :) ) and as a Shellac client myself previously it was never suggested I could remove myself after a little teaching session.

It is reassuring to see that it's OK and I am more than happy to spend some time with clients to instruct them on the correct removal, I would rather do that than risk a client NOT having the treatment because they think they HAVE to come back. As a client to be given the choice is great customer service, I think anyway :)

I love the Geek site as it is really helping me and I truly value everyone's opinions, I would be lost withyout you guys :Love:

Claire.

I have offered the CND remover packs to my clients. As said most do have a re-shellac but there are ones that prefer to remove themselves. Also, one of my clients ALWAYS removes her shellac the afternoon of her appointment, even though I've told her she doesn't have to.

Once I changed to using Magis remover wraps I gave them to clients too. They commented how they are much easier to apply to yourself. They said sometimes they couldn't get the CND remover wraps on tight enough.

Latest posts

Back