Home Salon Male Client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

princess fifi

Reaction score
Hello All:)

I need some help on making a decision.
I have a home based/mobile salon and I have put on my cards/advertising etc, women only. Mainly because I am mostly home alone, and mobile I am alone with the client also.
In my previous working experiences in other salons I have had many male clients, so I am not nervous about male clientele but I just want to feel safe, you never know who will walk through the door especially in a home based business.
Anyway a 60 year old man called me (he told me he is 60) and asked if I do aromatherapy massage, I said yes, he started talking about his chiropractor and doctor etc he just found one leg is a few cm shorter than the other and so that is why he has lower back pain etc etc etc. He also asked me if I am here alone ( I found that a bit odd) I said yes, and then he responded that that means he can't just turn up at the salon expecting a massage because there is no other staff just me ( He must be once of those notorious walk in sort customers) I hope, unless he was just trying to see if I am home alone?
Anyway he wants to come in for a massage, I said yes because honestly I need the money, and I think he genuinely wants a massage to relax his muscles. On the other hand you can never be to sure? Especially after reading the thread posted this week "Man on the bed" What a nightmare! What would you do in my shoes?:eek::eek::eek:

Hi if he is having an aromatherapy massage, are you not supposed to do a patch test 24 hours before treatment. I get my clients to come to me 24 hrs before treatment for patch testing then you get a feel for the person when filing in the paperwork and then patch testing, you can decide if you feel safe with this person. have you got any friends who could pop in whilst doing treatment or be there when he arrives then pop of quietly so the man thinks someone is there. I have done that a few times, or said my son was upstairs as he had got a lift to work that day. male clients do notice when there is an extra car there or if there is a male present.
at the end of the day if you have a gut feeling from the phone conversation then do not do the treatment its not worh the money.
let us know how you get on.

I always beleive in instinct! if you are in the presence of somebody and deeply downs, a little voice is telling you "don't" than don't do it.
I deal with men, but many time when i wasn't sure about someone, and didn't listen to that small voice, it has happen that it was the guy was dodgy. it may sound crazy but... don't let anyone intimidate you:irked:, think about your safety first!

I agree with trusting instinct. I have a home salon too. I don't say women only but I also don't publicise that I take male clients so I can leave it to my own gut feeling when the occasion arises.

I mainly do men who are known to me such as partners of clients but when I do get a call from a stranger I talk to them on the phone by asking Q's about what treatment they are interested in etc to get a feel for them b4 saying if I do treat men or not.

If I don't feel happy, or they say something a little unusual (I would class him asking you if you are on your own as highly unusual!) then I just end the conversation by saying unfortunately I only treat women for that treatment. I find this gives you a chance to make your mind up. Sometimes they try to keep you on the phone even after you say this which always makes me glad I said no as it does not seem normal behaviour & makes me more suspicious of their motives!

It tends to be massage that I am extra alert with as I do a lot of male pedicures, waxing, etc and am usually happy to acept bookings for these with no worries.

I do however make sure there is someone visibly here the first time I treat any new male client. I am friendly but make sure not to be 'over friendly' with them, keep the door unlocked, have my mobile phone to hand & even a rape alarm in my pocket - just in case. I also think it gives you confidence to think through what your actions would be if any unpleasant situation arose & discuss with the person who is in the house to look out for you what they should do.

I personally think your little voice is already telling you 'no' in this instance and your safety and peace of mind are much more important than the price of one massage.

I 100% agree with what g.lo and sharon h posted, follow your instinct. If you choose to treat him, get someone to be there when he comes and tell him your partner works from home or you are just about to start working with another therapist.

I have worked from home for 15 years, and I do male clients - but I dont like the fact that he asked you if you worked alone.

I have only had two propositions, one chap turned up - emptied his pockets and produced a packet of condoms. Problem was I had taken my glasses off didn't realise what the brightely coloured pack was till half way through. He got the battering of his life after that and needless to say didn't come back!

Second one was actually a long standing Client, and I kindly declined, he is a really nice chap who has split up with his wife about 6 months ago and is obviously feeling very lonely.

i dont think its necessary to completely rule men out of the equation. I run my salon from home and i offer gents manicures and pedicures facials etc... however, i use my common sense and if the enquiry sounds a bit strange then i dont book them in. For massage i will only accept a male client who has been referred by a female client...for security reasons, and i advertise this fact on my price list also.

I wouldn't send the poor man away that's someone's grandpa :lol:

Just try and get someone to come into your house if your nervous, just ask a friend or neighbour if they fancy a cup of tea and a bikkie and piece to watch an hours TV. Most will jump at the chance & then someone's there should the guy get randy!

But lets face it you'll see if he's 70 before he walks through the door and most 70yr olds wouldn't have the strength or stamina to try anything x

I wouldn't send the poor man away that's someone's grandpa :lol:

Just try and get someone to come into your house if your nervous, just ask a friend or neighbour if they fancy a cup of tea and a bikkie and piece to watch an hours TV. Most will jump at the chance & then someone's there should the guy get randy!

But lets face it you'll see if he's 70 before he walks through the door and most 70yr olds wouldn't have the strength or stamina to try anything x

I agree, the only thing that sounds funny is him asking if you work alone but there could be several reasons why they asked. Trust your instincts and get someone round to sit in another room during the treatment as you say you need the money so just take care on this visit and who knows you could end up with another regular!!

Thanks Everyone for your sound advice, its hard to know what to think, when I was on the phone with him, I felt fine. But you Never know?
Then when I got off the phone and went over the conversation in my head, I was weighing the whole thing up.
Anyway I might have to try and do the treatment after hours when my partner is home.:)

Latest posts

Back