HONEST opinion - could it be done? (pics)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think it is fab start with a lick of paint and new floor and you will have a totally different place. a wooden floor would be lovely, dont get real wood tho as it gets wrecked from heals, furniture etc get the laminate stuff it looks the same and doesnt get heal marks etc and is really cheap.. and a nice colour paint, my friend recently did up salon and has cream and brown walls (its more very light brown cant think of the name) a wooden floor and the same colour pattern wallpaper in reception area as the colours on the walls and it looks great really up market!! just a few ideas.. ps the baby is adorable xx

I spent about £2000 renovating and furnishing my room which i don't think is too bad, however I did only have 1 room to do. Funnily enough my room is above an estate agent too, they own the entire building so all costs were down to me.

Just echoing JenniS, as although is is on the High Street, It looks, (from the photo) somewhat off the main road. Of course it depends what time of the day you took the pics, but there don't seem to be many people about, and passing cars won't see you because they don't drive right past the property (road seems to veer away from where you took the pic). It was taken at about 9am (went there right for opening to get the keys. Lol)

As far as I'm aware, a landlord of a business property is not responsible for decorating, broken boilers, leaky taps etc..... I think it is the tenants responsibility, but don't know how it works before you sign a tenancy agreement.

Another thought is about advertizing. You need to get people to know where you are. Are you allowed to advertize in the window? Are you allowed to have a A-fold billboard out on the parade below to show that you are there? Will you need to pay extra for this type of advertizing as you will need to factor this into costs?Yes, I'm allowed an 'A' board, there is a sandwich shop / cafe next to me and a jewellery shop selling handmade silver jewellery - they both have 'A' boards. Plus, the cafe has little tables & chairs outside which get busy in summer. The community centre is opposite the road too and I've already asked them if I can advertise there for free (said yes).

I was also thinking about doing a charity day so I could get a little article in the local paper and raise money too. Was planning on pink nail paints and pink ribbon nail art with all costs to breast cancer.
After that all I've got in my head is leaflet drops and handing goody bag offers to some of the people coming out of tesco etc....

Do what I did with one of my shops that needed total renovation. Mine was over two floors. I did the main reception area first and the main treatment room. Each month and with more money I tackled the rest. Just keep the doors shut on the unused rooms.

Kate

Plan is stairs (the first impression factor), reception and treatment room 1. The second treatment room I don't need yet. I do plan on hiring within the first year hopefully but only if things are going well.
Bathroom needs only a lick of paint anyway.

I love it and my gut would be saying yes yesy yes! The downside is renevating can cost alot depending on what you want. My tiles were a huge part of my budget but they are brilliant and the tan room had to have washable paint and black tiles wit grey grout so def worth the spend. Location looks/sounds good and I'm sure it will be beautiful. Do as much bartering as you can - take advantage of every sale, do not feel you need massive amounts of stock and do not sign up to anything long term incl yellow pages until you have at least a few months under your belt.

Go for it and feel free to ask me anything since I'm still in my first year I'll be happy to pass on what I've learnt

Hi, could you possibly pm me with a picture of your tanning room? I spent just over £25,000 on renovating my leased premises last year :cry: Looks good though, just wish I could have afforded to buy the freehold, but there you go. Anyhow, i have a small room at the back, with a window and want to turn this into a spraytan room using tiles.

I think its a great opportunity for you! It will look sooo much better just with a lick of paint and new flooring. The space seems perfect. Wish I could find something like that near me!! Good luck :) xx

The place i moved into was a health food shop & salad bar and it was bloody HUGE and absolutely minging! We needed a new ceiling, floor, false walls, electrics - everything! So yeah it can be done and by the looks of it its all cosmetic at this one youre looking at. If its got plumbing then you can put everything you need in. We havent got heating as its too expensive but heaters do the job for now.

Latest posts

Back