HONEST opinion - could it be done? (pics)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pink Pink Pink

Reaction score
OK - so I've found a vacant premises, high street location. It's on 1st floor.
Only thing is - it's disgusting! Needs totally re-doing. Doesn't have a kitchen.
Take a look at the pics and see if you think it could be done or if I should keep looking.

Rent free first 3 months. £67 weekly there after and easy-in easy-out lease!

Attachments

• Firt Impression Enterance.jpg
    Firt Impression Enterance.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 174
  • Reception & Nailroom.jpg
    Reception & Nailroom.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 229
  • Turn on Stairs.jpg
    Turn on Stairs.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Reception and Nail room.jpg
    Reception and Nail room.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Treat2.jpg
    Treat2.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 201
  • Treatment Room 1.jpg
    Treatment Room 1.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Will be kitchen.jpg
    Will be kitchen.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 172
  • View from window.jpg
    View from window.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 169
The baby girl is mine - she isn't part of the fixtures and fittings! LOL x

Well with time, money and determination it can certainly be done. My room is on the first floor of a high street and my business has tripled since I moved there. It had a horrible smelly green carpet, wood chip on half the walls and the other half was cork tiles!:eek:

From your pictures it looks a really good space which has lots of potential. Is there access to water there and toilet facilities for clients (and you of course!! :lol:)

Yes - treatment room1 has a sink already in it (a big farmstyle one!) and there is a huge toilet room - didn't take any pics of that though. lol.
It doesn't have central heating though!!!!!!!!!!
Do you think those oil radiators would be ok?
Hope you don't mind me asking but how much did it cost to renevate???

theres not a thing wrong with it , you just need to start with painting and flooring! you dont need a kitchen, all i have is a sink and a kettle. it'll not cost you that much plus nows a good time to haggle! my man put down my wooden floors. i def think you should keep those custains though :)
go for it! its a total bargain - 2 sets of nails thats your rent paid! pllus its quiet from now til march so your rent free period is spot on. even play it cool and see if you cn ngotiate a bit more.
x

Hiya,

OK, I have absoutely no experience in room rental but I thought I would give you my opinion for what it's worth!

Firstly, the room sizes are fab - it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would from reading your description. I reckon it would make a nice, big, light & airy space and from the positioning (the photo from the window), it looks like it's in a pretty central position too. Do you think you would get much in the way of passing trade in this location?

Also, does the landlord expect you to foot the entire bill for the renovation? It's all very well saying you can have 3 months free of charge, BUT 12 weeks at £67 equates to just over £800 which won't go far when you have to do the renovations. Do you think he would be willing to split the cost with you maybe, after all if it doesn't work out for you he will still have the benefit of having the rooms renovated at your expense?

Just a couple of thoughts.

Jenni
x

Hiya,

OK, I have absoutely no experience in room rental but I thought I would give you my opinion for what it's worth!

Firstly, the room sizes are fab - it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would from reading your description. I reckon it would make a nice, big, light & airy space and from the positioning (the photo from the window), it looks like it's in a pretty central position too. Do you think you would get much in the way of passing trade in this location?
There is a high school local and sixth formers come to high street during free periods apparently so my young market is covered. On the pic of the view just on the left there is a tesco's so should get some people seeing it from there! Plus, clients can use tesco car park too (hee hee)

Also, does the landlord expect you to foot the entire bill for the renovation? It's all very well saying you can have 3 months free of charge, BUT 12 weeks at £67 equates to just over £800 which won't go far when you have to do the renovations. Do you think he would be willing to split the cost with you maybe, after all if it doesn't work out for you he will still have the benefit of having the rooms renovated at your expense?
Doubt it - it's from a fairly large estate agents in the north east. It's the room above one of their offices so the landlord owns the property, he wouldn't really put money into it as he's losing nothing from it now iykwim.

Jenni
x
xxx

.i def think you should keep those curtains though :)

x

If you send me your address I can post them to you! Haa Haa Haa, seeing as you like them!! :hug:

Well with time, money and determination it can certainly be done. My room is on the first floor of a high street and my business has tripled since I moved there. It had a horrible smelly green carpet, wood chip on half the walls and the other half was cork tiles!:eek:

From your pictures it looks a really good space which has lots of potential. Is there access to water there and toilet facilities for clients (and you of course!! :lol:)

Sounds the same - except i dont have cork tiles. Smelly green carpet and woodchip walls though - oh, and damp.
Have said I won't even consider it unless that is fixed.

Do you know something hun, I think I would absolutely bite their hands off for this one! There's nothing wrong with it that a lick of paint and a bit of new carpet won't fix. If it were me, I would TRY to be sensible and not initially over-spend on the initial renovation and then see how it goes (I say TRY because I would probably start off not meaning to go overboard and then think of so many things to include!!). Try to put together a sensible budget and stick to it, I don't think you've got anything to lose by giving it a try.

Just a quick thought, do you do spray tanning? I think it would go down well with all those passing sixth formers, particularly near to prom time.

Invite us all to your opening hun, we can have a ceremonial burning of the curtains afterwards to celebrate!!!

How exciting for you. Best of luck.

Jenni
x

go for it looks lovely . rent sounds good. if it feels right go for it. Been in business for 2 years now. Took a chance and still here. Don't know till u try.

I think it looks great. Try soap and water first. Remember that it will look different when you get your equipment and supplies and personal touches in place. Don't do anything you don't have to to start with. You will know what needs to be done after you have used the space for awhile.

just a word on heating. my boiler broke down at home recently and we used some oil filled radiators untill it was fixed. it actually felt warmer than it did with our central heating on !
so i'd say that they will suit you fine.

I love it and my gut would be saying yes yesy yes! The downside is renevating can cost alot depending on what you want. My tiles were a huge part of my budget but they are brilliant and the tan room had to have washable paint and black tiles wit grey grout so def worth the spend. Location looks/sounds good and I'm sure it will be beautiful. Do as much bartering as you can - take advantage of every sale, do not feel you need massive amounts of stock and do not sign up to anything long term incl yellow pages until you have at least a few months under your belt.

Go for it and feel free to ask me anything since I'm still in my first year I'll be happy to pass on what I've learnt

Just a quick thought, do you do spray tanning? I think it would go down well with all those passing sixth formers, particularly near to prom time.

Invite us all to your opening hun, we can have a ceremonial burning of the curtains afterwards to celebrate!!!
x

I am qualified in St Tropez spray tanning but doubt I will be able to afford the booth etc at first.
Definitely need a Geek curtain burning day! Lol x

just a word on heating. my boiler broke down at home recently and we used some oil filled radiators untill it was fixed. it actually felt warmer than it did with our central heating on !
so i'd say that they will suit you fine.

Did it cost you more in electricity?

hun i think it looks fab,o.k it needs some work but looks like there is loads of potential with it and its actually not in bad condition at all. i would jump at the chance. do you have any family or relatives that are good at handy man work they could help you out. there is so much space in it and the rent sounds really reasonable,oil filled radiators prob be grand though does anyone know if they are costly with electric? wishing you all the best with whatever you decide to do.keep us informed i would love to see the before and after pics they would be fab!!:hug::hug:

I love it and my gut would be saying yes yesy yes!

Go for it and feel free to ask me anything since I'm still in my first year I'll be happy to pass on what I've learnt

Thank you x x x x x x xx x x x x
(my gut is saying yes too!)

Do what I did with one of my shops that needed total renovation. Mine was over two floors. I did the main reception area first and the main treatment room. Each month and with more money I tackled the rest. Just keep the doors shut on the unused rooms.

Kate

Hiya,

Do you think you would get much in the way of passing trade in this location?

Jenni
x
Just echoing JenniS, as although is is on the High Street, It looks, (from the photo) somewhat off the main road. Of course it depends what time of the day you took the pics, but there don't seem to be many people about, and passing cars won't see you because they don't drive right past the property (road seems to veer away from where you took the pic).

As far as I'm aware, a landlord of a business property is not responsible for decorating, broken boilers, leaky taps etc..... I think it is the tenants responsibility, but don't know how it works before you sign a tenancy agreement.

Another thought is about advertizing. You need to get people to know where you are. Are you allowed to advertize in the window? Are you allowed to have a A-fold billboard out on the parade below to show that you are there? Will you need to pay extra for this type of advertizing as you will need to factor this into costs?

Latest posts

Back