Horribly cracked, dry feet due to medication. How can I help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlawlessBeauty

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
I'm desperately looking for some advice.

3 weeks ago my Dad had a heart attack. He was very lucky, it was a minor one and he had an operation to have a stent fitted a few days later. He came home with half the pharmacy and instructions to take it very easy, quit smoking (which he has done, i'm SO proud), try to lower his cholesterol through diet and not to go back to work til January.

He has followed all this advice :hug:

So here comes the trouble...he's been taking his meds as advised and was told he might get a rash. He did, on the bottom and side of one foot was a nasty eczema type looking rash, which was a bit sore.

He has always had good skin before.

He went to the Dr for a check-up, but didn't like him so didn't ask any questions :rolleyes: Typical man, eh? He said he'd make an appointment with a real doctor.

Within a few days, the sore places cracked badly. One part under his foot had a really dark blue line (like biro pen) in it. I'm not sure, but i think it may have been a vein. The rest of the skin was very dry and starting to crack on both feet.

Made a Dr appointment for today (nearest time possible).

Yesterday i had a look and they were just awful! Bits of his skin were just flaking away. He had a whole load of it on his bedroom floor, like someone had dropped the remainder of a packet of crisps, without him touching it.

The skin had flaky patches partly coming away, the size of a 10p coin and his feet are completely white from the dryness, flakiness and cracking.

He also had bits of fluff in it, from his socks, which he removed with tweezers after soaking his feet.

His feet were painful and it was hurting him to walk.

Today the doctor said it was very unusual and has prescribed him a topical cream (steroid i think) but hasn't changed his medication.

My question is, is there anything i can do to help? Such as a paraffin wax treatment? Or should i just leave it alone? It's horrible to see someone you love like this, without trying do help in some way xxx

Sorry for the long post, but i wanted to be clear xx

I would avoid any treatment as such as creams/lotions my irrate it further if it is sensitive.

The doctor is the expert in skin conditions as server as this so I would wash his feet in just water, gently exfoliate with a mitt, dry and apply the cream the doctor has prescribed and avoid using any unnecessary cream/lotions/wash etc as this may aggravate it.

I would get him to talk to his doctor again, it's really not a normal reaction to the medication at all. Steroid cream helps a bit but it won't really "cure" the problem (cure in quotations because it's not a disease he has) if the doctor doesn't want to change the medication you might have to seek a second opinion. I wouldn't touch the skin until the medication is worked out since we're not doctors.

Have him inquiry about using Jojoba oil. It is a plant wax (but looks like oil) that most like sebum our bodies produce that keeps our skin flexible. As we age we produce less. I have provide a lighter mix of Jojoba and other oils to a friend whose children suffer from hypersensitivity too stuff like seams in clothes. They would itch so bad their skin would bleed. It has been 2 months and they have not had any episodes. Good luck.

Hello FB,
Your dad needs to see a Chiropodist/Podiatrist as soon as possible. We are quite used to dealing with these sorts of conditions
It is possible that his dry skin condition has been complicated by a fungal infection. Also, one of the problems of fissures on the heels (especially deep ones that involve the dermis) is the possibility of bacterial infection.

It isn't possible to say any more as I can't see the problem but, as I said above, I would suggest he make an appointment as soon as he can.

HTH

Good luck to yOur Dad. Hope he continues to get better.

Cracked heels may respond to bathing in salty warm water but the gp knows best. Xxxxx

Thankyou all so much for your advise.

I haven't touched them and he's been given a cream, which he has used each night and it is like a miracle cream! His feet looked ten times better after one application.

I think i was panicking a bit at first, haha. Much calmer and happier now xxx

Really good to hear a positive outcome, thank you for taking the time to update us xxx

Ps. Of course, what i really really want to know is.....whats the name of the miracle cream xxxx

Hope your dad continues to improve

I imagine it was a steroid based cream maybe? Doctor sometimes gives me that if my eczema is really bad .

Really good to hear a positive outcome, thank you for taking the time to update us xxx

Ps. Of course, what i really really want to know is.....whats the name of the miracle cream xxxx

Hope your dad continues to improve

Thankyou, he has!

Sorry Sonny, i didn't see this post at all or i would've replied sooner.

I'll have to go and have a look, but it was a prescription only cream and yes i think it was a steroid cream. He has no problems with his feet at all now :D

Merry Christmas to all xx

Latest posts

Back