How can I give her polite advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophie_Jane

Reaction score
Hi Geeks!

A lady i trained with at college with has recently started to rent a room in a tanning salon, she's putting pictures up of some nail art she's down and i'm shocked at the rookie mistakes she's making - they look terrible!

Plus, she's brought a cheap gel lamp online and brought some cheap colors, she's not trained in any form of gel nails and is offering it as a shellac treatment, which i find wrong as a lot of her clients are bad mouthing shellac because they think its a terrible product when its just the way shes applying it. Shes getting a bad reputation around town and i feel sorry for her and her clients!

Now im not sure whether to just butt out and keep my mouth shut or to try and offer her some friendly advice? What would you do in my situation? And how can i give her advice politely without sounding like i'm trying to interfere?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note that the posting of another person's work for critique is not permitted on Salon Geek. In view of this, the photos have been removed.

I'd be inclined not to get involved, your good intentions could backfire dramatically.

But on the otherhand if she asked for advice then you could say your bit, but otherwise don't say anything, well that's what I'd do. x

Oops, sorry Noodle, i didn't realize!

And Claire, thats why im wondering, i was speaking to her the other day and she was showing me all these pictures of nails shed done telling me how good they were and i had no idea what say! She'd flooded the cuticles, got the polish on the skin, the designs were shaky and wonky, i wasn't sure whether tell her the truth but she never asked what i thought of them she just wanted 'show them off' xx

It's hard to sit by and watch people make their own mistakes and experiences, has she asked you for help and advice?
Unless you want to meet up and suggest you have a play around with nail art/additives in order to inspire each other, she may not like the thought of you correcting her.
Is she a close friend?

It's hard to sit by and watch people make their own mistakes and experiences, has she asked you for help and advice?
Unless you want to meet up and suggest you have a play around with nail art/additives in order to inspire each other, she may not like the thought of you correcting her.
Is she a close friend?

We only went college together so i wouldnt say a close friend, but i dont want her giving other therapists a bad name. She was asking me for design ideas saying shed give me full credit but if the standards bad i dont really want my name associated with it.

She asked me what i thought of one of them and i told her she flooded the cuticles and she just laughed it off saying that it was okay as long as it didnt reach the skin, we trained together so i have no idea where she's gotten that idea from!

Do not get involved! You already tried to give her some feedback and she shrugged it off with a lame excuse. She will not take any advice you give her as constructive criticism, and as you trained together she won't see you as someone to look up to it take advice from. She seems to already think her work is good so she won't listen to you. No matter how good your intentions, you'll get her back up and she will only talk about you to other people, staff or clients.

Don't get involved, it will only cause drama and upset for you x

We only went college together so i wouldnt say a close friend, but i dont want her giving other therapists a bad name. She was asking me for design ideas saying shed give me full credit but if the standards bad i dont really want my name associated with it.

She asked me what i thought of one of them and i told her she flooded the cuticles and she just laughed it off saying that it was okay as long as it didnt reach the skin, we trained together so i have no idea where she's gotten that idea from!

She has already made it clear to you that she doesn't really value your opinion, so I would say don't waste your breath on this one. Just concentrate on being the very best that you can be and let her take the journey she has chosen for herself. You may see that it's not the best route for her but its not for you to decide her fate.

If she's genuinely doing the best she can do then improvement will only come with time and practice (and perhaps further education). I'm not sure what you could achieve by telling her what you think even if it is done with the best intentions.

I know she can do better, when we did nail art in college she was doing sone lovely designs and painted them perfectly, now it looks like her standards have dropped dramatically, she always said she wanted to do more spray tans and facials than nails in college ad she thought nail were boring and repetative, so im not sure why shes decided to do nails career wise.

However I think ill leave it alone unless she comes to me for help, i dont want to watch her fail but i dont want her to take it the wrong way and fall out with me, i dont like the drama!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
What if she joins here to get some help and advice?
I dont think it would be hard to work out who you are from your username and location given beside your posts ;)

I used my middle name and my sisters middle name for my username ao its not my real name :)

I might tell her join here though and get some advice and ive sent her the details of some places around here that do nail art classs and shellac courses.

Told her that it might give her more experiance and ideas and that the course needs to be done as shes got no gel experiance and the insurance company wont cover her ro which she said shes covered by the tanning salons excisting insurance and she doesnt need any and they dont need to see any qualifications but shes signed up for the nail art classes.

The insurance sounds a bit dodgey to me! Id have thought shes need a seperate beauty insurance for her clients as shes doing waxing, facial, tinting and lashes and nails and they only tanning xx

Hi Geeks!

A lady i trained with at college with has recently started to rent a room in a tanning salon, she's putting pictures up of some nail art she's down and i'm shocked at the rookie mistakes she's making - they look terrible!

Plus, she's brought a cheap gel lamp online and brought some cheap colors, she's not trained in any form of gel nails and is offering it as a shellac treatment, which i find wrong as a lot of her clients are bad mouthing shellac because they think its a terrible product when its just the way shes applying it. Shes getting a bad reputation around town and i feel sorry for her and her clients!

Now im not sure whether to just butt out and keep my mouth shut or to try and offer her some friendly advice? What would you do in my situation? And how can i give her advice politely without sounding like i'm trying to interfere?
I would in your situation get on with my own business and let her get on with hers.
She hasn't asked for your advice and however well intentioned it is ,she mightn't take too kindly to you critiquing her work.
:hug:

I would in your situation get on with my own business and let her get on with hers.
She hasn't asked for your advice and however well intentioned it is ,she mightn't take too kindly to you critiquing her work.
:hug:

Totally agree - I wouldn't worry about her work, her insurance or her anything else I'm afraid.

Vicki x

Im going take everyones advise and leave her to it, if she asks for help then i will but i need keep my nose out! I dont want her getting offended, i will however point her towards this site incase she wants any help or advise! Thanks geeks :)

Im going take everyones advise and leave her to it, if she asks for help then i will but i need keep my nose out! I dont want her getting offended, i will however point her towards this site incase she wants any help or advise! Thanks geeks :)

Sound like a plan xx

Latest posts

Back