How can you promote without discounting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaltash

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've been thinking of ways to promote my brand new 3 week old salon. Reading several threads in the SalonGeek site, I've come across the strong opposition to discounting your services. I agree with the theory behind this, but if you don't discount your services, what other ways can you promote yourself?
Any ideas would be great. I'm thinking about my January ad campaign and want to big up my hot stone massage. Was gonna offer money off, but now i don't want to!!!
What else can we do?
Thanks Geeks,
xx

One thing you can do is offer free treatments as an add on. For instance, I just ran an amazingly successful offer which brought me 9, yes NINE! new clients. The offer was as follows - book a SwissDermyl facial and receive an Indian Head Massage, eyelash tint and eyebrow shape free worth £52. Flippin' heck, I hear you say, how can you give away so much?! OK, the IHM costs nothing in materials, and gives me lots of practice at it. Eyelash tint - costs mere pennies in materials and takes 15 mins - arguably can be done during the facial (and often is with me depending on which facial I perform) and is a perfect lead in to booking an eyebrow tint. Eyebrow shape - costs nothing in materials (I don't wax eyebrows), and takes about 5 mins.
It introduces clients to treatments they may not otherwise consider, and fills up my diary. They get to see my salon, I can talk to them about all the other treatments I offer, and so far they've all rebooked!
Everyone's happy!
:)

Good idea!!

Give a free gift. You pay wholesale price and the client sees the value of the gift at retail price! The gift has cost you next to nothing.

You can give a gift of what is a very cheap product to you, but the client loves it. A cute file .... a mini solar Oil .... a small Scentsations lotion for the handbag (there are some very good Xmas offers). We all love a free gift whether it be small or large. It also introduces clients to a product that they may not have considered buying before.

By giving away one mini CND Scentsations lotion, I have introduced people to not only that but they soon want the matching Hand & Body wash as well as a large size Hand & Body lotion ... then they want another in a different fragrance for another bathroom. 'Spread a little corn' and they will come back for more.

never discount,add things to your services.FREE eyelash tint with facials.FREE eyebrow wax with full leg and bikini wax.Fullset and half price for a friend (done same day one after the other)that way you will get 2 clients.offer things like that.here is australia we have so many cheap asian nail bars and many techs reduce their prices to promote and compete then the asians reduce theirs.we have salons charging (special) $15 a fullset.never get into a price war,noone ever wins,great nailtechs are worth more than that.we are worth our weight in gold

never discount,add things to your services.FREE eyelash tint with facials.FREE eyebrow wax with full leg and bikini wax.Fullset and half price for a friend (done same day one after the other)that way you will get 2 clients.offer things like that.here is australia we have so many cheap asian nail bars and many techs reduce their prices to promote and compete then the asians reduce theirs.we have salons charging (special) $15 a fullset.never get into a price war,noone ever wins,great nailtechs are worth more than that.we are worth our weight in gold

I agree 100% ... as you can tell from my many posts on the subject.

Time nail technicians got smarter about these things .... they get enough good advice and then loose their nerve and blow it by discounting. What kind of message does that give out?? We are professionals not running a bargain basement operation!!

What about a points system for example:

1 treatment = 1 point
Client refferal = 1 point

Ten points = 1 free treatment of your choice

You could easily incorporate a points table to appointments card, check a box and a quick signature would be enough.

anne xx

How about making up squares on a peice of paper 1- 30 (or use a calender). Sell each one for £1 when they are full have a client pull a number out of the hat and the winner gets £30 to spend in your salon on products or treatments. Or do a 1st 2nd & 3rd prize, depends on what you think your clients will go for.

Get as much free PR and coverage you can with your local press. I built three business up from this alone!

Get the editor in for treatments, invite them along to every new product/treatment launch, bribe them with free products etc. Of course every does this but if your the most persistant they give you a hell of a lot of free advertising!

People dont need freebies or discounts to come to you, just someone to confirm you are great! One reported heard I had done a couple of celebs (at the time it wasnt true and have no idea where she heard this!) but I never denied it and it hit the papers OH DEAR!! My phone rang off the hook! Eventually gaining a few footballers and their wives along the way. Once word got out I was very very busy!

kate

Latest posts

Back