How do you apply Spray Tan???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Spray Tan Machine?

• TC3/WhisperMist - Apollo

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • MiniMist/MobileMist/T100

Votes: 26 38.2%
  • T100 True Spray - HVLP (mobile)

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • I use a Compressor - please specify

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Other HVLP

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 10.3%

• Total voters

CadenceAlex

Reaction score
There are many different machines on the market now... so what is your choice?

And what would you say the Pro's and Con's are of your machine?

Would you be looking to upgrade?

I have included Mobile and Salon kits.

I use the TC3 but think it is bulky and noisy!

HVLP machines seem to have been the choice of so many spray tanning businesses over the recent years and they are just getting better all the time.

Tantrick started selling the TC3 in the UK in 2004 and at the time they were the latest and most effective machines in the industry. The MiniMist followed shortly afterwards and was then our next offering aimed to the mobile user and being lightweight it really did a great job.

There have been a number of HVLP machines found on offer including the Earlex, Wagner, and even compressors being made to look like HVLP's available to do spray tanning with.

In my opinion there are for's and against's with lots of them:

ORIGINAL TC3 is large but is ideal for use in the salon if you have the room, the gun is really great quality, the hose doesn't melt and it gives a very good fine spray. Expensive - but good machine and gun are of a good standard. It is a true workhorse and we have only ever had one back with a fault in all the units we have supplied - this was due to a faulty switch. Ocasionally they have got very hot and this has transferred to the gun but it cools down quick enough. Very economical, the gun sprayed quite dry.

There are copies of the TC3 on the market which are basically cheap turbine units housed in a TC3 box or similar - they run the real risk of burning out as they need a lot of air to function well. The turbine inside needs to be of a high quality to be encapsulated in such a box and it needs to be fitted with adequate cooling fans and filters.

MiniMist / T100 / Truespray - this was ideal for mobile tanning, not the best for salon use, the reliabilty was hit and miss - there have been batches of very good ones and then batches of machines with probelms and we had lots of returns and problems in the latter stages with motors giving up, hoses burning though if put on the wrong end, guns breaking etc and they were not so reliable as we would have liked. It was fairly economical, but it was a cheaper machine.

The Earlex - many people had this machine and it used lots of solution, great for solution providers lol!! Very inexpensive machine, used by many as a starting machine whilst dipping the toe into the industry - lots appear on ebay under the fence spraying section as well as the spray tanning area!

The Wagner - more of an industrial looking machine, also sold in Argos as a paint sprayer.

There is a white plastic HVLP which has been sold by a number of companies which reminds me of a little "pig or an egg". Very effective but it does seem overpriced for what it is. Somewhere about £500 seems to be the average price for this unit. It has a plastic gun and lightweight hose.

Compressors - some have airbrushes, others are kitted up with spray guns. This is where I started back 6 years ago! They create more overspray, using more solution and take more time to apply. They are quieter than the HVLP machines though. You should have annual safety inspections of all compressors by a competent person but not necessary for HVLP's (PAT testing is required for all portable electric machines though). These are quite heavy and have leads, moisture traps, pressure vales - more complex than the HVLP. Good to also use for other treatments - airbrush nails, make up etc but you generally have to change the airbrush and needles depending on what you are doing.

MiniMist PRO - uses HVLP technology combined with thoughtful and careful design it's much better looking and not as bulky as the TC3. It has variable power control making it lots quieter. We have married this up with an amazing spray gun which is lighter, more comfortable and it stays cool - even when the machine has been running ALL day and gives a much softer and gentler spray - clients notice it by the lack of freezing cold air!!! This machine is very robust and can go mobile (as it is always in and out of my car right now lol!) or can work in a salon, like the TC3, it is a true workhorse. It is more expensive than the original MiniMist but less than the TC3 and has had a very warm welcome by many people who are now ready to upgrade their initial machines.

Check that your machine is CE approved, what warranty is supplied with the machine and what happens if something goes wrong?

There are probably many other systems on the market, we too would love to hear your views on the machines you have.

Mandy

HVLP machines seem to have been the choice of so many spray tanning businesses over the recent years and they are just getting better all the time.

Tantrick started selling the TC3 in the UK in 2004 and at the time they were the latest and most effective machines in the industry. The MiniMist followed shortly afterwards and was then our next offering aimed to the mobile user and being lightweight it really did a great job.

There have been a number of HVLP machines found on offer including the Earlex, Wagner, and even compressors being made to look like HVLP's available to do spray tanning with.

In my opinion there are for's and against's with lots of them:

ORIGINAL TC3 is large but is ideal for use in the salon if you have the room, the gun is really great quality, the hose doesn't melt and it gives a very good fine spray. Expensive - but good machine and gun are of a good standard. It is a true workhorse and we have only ever had one back with a fault in all the units we have supplied - this was due to a faulty switch. Ocasionally they have got very hot and this has transferred to the gun but it cools down quick enough. Very economical, the gun sprayed quite dry.

There are copies of the TC3 on the market which are basically cheap turbine units housed in a TC3 box or similar - they run the real risk of burning out as they need a lot of air to function well. The turbine inside needs to be of a high quality to be encapsulated in such a box and it needs to be fitted with adequate cooling fans and filters.

MiniMist / T100 / Truespray - this was ideal for mobile tanning, not the best for salon use, the reliabilty was hit and miss - there have been batches of very good ones and then batches of machines with probelms and we had lots of returns and problems in the latter stages with motors giving up, hoses burning though if put on the wrong end, guns breaking etc and they were not so reliable as we would have liked. It was fairly economical, but it was a cheaper machine.

The Earlex - many people had this machine and it used lots of solution, great for solution providers lol!! Very inexpensive machine, used by many as a starting machine whilst dipping the toe into the industry - lots appear on ebay under the fence spraying section as well as the spray tanning area!

The Wagner - more of an industrial looking machine, also sold in Argos as a paint sprayer.

There is a white plastic HVLP which has been sold by a number of companies which reminds me of a little "pig or an egg". Very effective but it does seem overpriced for what it is. Somewhere about £500 seems to be the average price for this unit. It has a plastic gun and lightweight hose.

Compressors - some have airbrushes, others are kitted up with spray guns. This is where I started back 6 years ago! They create more overspray, using more solution and take more time to apply. They are quieter than the HVLP machines though. You should have annual safety inspections of all compressors by a competent person but not necessary for HVLP's (PAT testing is required for all portable electric machines though). These are quite heavy and have leads, moisture traps, pressure vales - more complex than the HVLP. Good to also use for other treatments - airbrush nails, make up etc but you generally have to change the airbrush and needles depending on what you are doing.

MiniMist PRO - uses HVLP technology combined with thoughtful and careful design it's much better looking and not as bulky as the TC3. It has variable power control making it lots quieter. We have married this up with an amazing spray gun which is lighter, more comfortable and it stays cool - even when the machine has been running ALL day and gives a much softer and gentler spray - clients notice it by the lack of freezing cold air!!! This machine is very robust and can go mobile (as it is always in and out of my car right now lol!) or can work in a salon, like the TC3, it is a true workhorse. It is more expensive than the original MiniMist but less than the TC3 and has had a very warm welcome by many people who are now ready to upgrade their initial machines.

Check that your machine is CE approved, what warranty is supplied with the machine and what happens if something goes wrong?

There are probably many other systems on the market, we too would love to hear your views on the machines you have.

Mandy

I think I missed some machines out... :green:

I can't keep up with the names!

Sun System 10 Airbrush (HVLP) is the one I use from NSI. :)

We generally keep track of what is out there, it's a fast moving industry - and one in which many will come and go over the years :lol:

We have 2 lil white piggies. They now also have black available.
These are so good for mobile. My case carries the lil piggie hose gun 2 pots, towles, information folder, flyers cards & retail product all compact & lightweight

Cant fault it

XX J XX

You have to remember that the spray tanning companies selling these machines have alot of overheads etc and have to incorporate warranty cost etc into the cost of these machines also. The guns alone are around the $200 mark. (in Australia obviously)

I have had my little piggy for nearly three years now and it has not missed a beat, it came with a two year warranty.

OOps I pushed the wrong button, I pushed other and it should be other HVLP. I've sold my TC3 machine to change to the Minimist Pro. Nothing wrong with the TC3 and it is a fab workhorse and a dream to use. The main reason I am chagning is because I am a Tantrick trainer so it makes sense to have the right equipment ... especially as when I get to Spain I will be a trainer out there as well. But also I am such a sucker for anything shiny, and it's such a cute looking machine. Added to that the compact size and the lower noise and having used it all day at Excel I know it is a fab machine.

i ve got a st tropez airport....and will always say its the best!!:green:

Ive got an original mini mist Tantrick, which I found has been very good but have just invested in the Iwata salon with the spray gun which I am awaiting to use.
There are alot of machines out there but as a mobile therapist I had to look for something that would be robust, not to heavy and wouldnt get under mine and peoples feet, like alot of geeks on here it has to be down to personal choice and what your own individual needs are. Mistakes can be costly so it really does pay to spend some time researching, asking questions in forums like this fab one( I wouldnt have found this site if it wasnt for asking questions about Tanning originally:lol:)
Teresa

I have the mini mist pro..its bigger to carry around than my old mini mist but ITS BETTER TOO!!

Hello!

I appreciate this is an old thread but .....
does anyone know the official name of the little pig/ egg machine?

I can only find one on one web site and its refered to as the Super Pig. But I can't find anywhere else that sells it. Would like to be able to compare prices etc.

Cheers!

shadez does reasonably priced one

Hello!

I appreciate this is an old thread but .....
does anyone know the official name of the little pig/ egg machine?

I can only find one on one web site and its refered to as the Super Pig. But I can't find anywhere else that sells it. Would like to be able to compare prices etc.

Cheers!

I've just got this machine and I'm pretty sure it's called the Super Pig HVLP. Have a look at this link...

Spray Tan Supermarket . com HVLP spray tanning equipment Turbine Super Pig HVLP

I haven't used mine yet as I haven't got my training until Sunday so can't comment on how it compares etc but I've heard loads of fab things about it! :green:

I've just got this machine and I'm pretty sure it's called the Super Pig HVLP. Have a look at this link...

Spray Tan Supermarket . com HVLP spray tanning equipment Turbine Super Pig HVLP

I haven't used mine yet as I haven't got my training until Sunday so can't comment on how it compares etc but I've heard loads of fab things about it! :green:

Just thought, I might get in trouble for posting that link on here (sorry Mr and Mrs Geek :o). Please smack my hand if so! :eek:

Just to say, I voted 'Other HVLP' as I have just pucrchased the Super Pig HVLP but I haven't tried other machines to compare :o

HI
I have a little pig called percy :eek: he is fab and my clients love the heat setting for drying off. I got him very cheap, he was a 1/6 of the price I have been quoted from a dealer and website, so shop around geeks.

xx

I rang around a couple of places but went with Sunny Girls advice, because the price was so good. I now have my own little pig!

I've played around with it a bit and it all looks good. I'll update as to how I get on with it over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for your advice!
x

I have the mini mist pro and it is ACE,
i love it to bits, it makes spray tanning a joy, so effortless and quick,
and i don't need to use a tent as there is hardly any over spray at all,
and it even looks sexy in its pink and white finish :lol:

Latest posts

Back