How do you deal with people copying your adverts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Dunn

JD Waxing School
Reaction score
I’m just having a rant.. So my apologies before I start..
I can never understand why some people will directly copy another person’s work..
I have some long standing adverts that I pay for in a few sites, and spent time getting them the way I want them, getting them in a good position etc.. And then another therapist comes along and not just copies a few bits here and there.. But does a complete copy and paste then it’s really annoying!!
How do others deal with this?
The advert I have placed in Gumtree, and it appears quite high with Google (which is why they probably copied it) but it’s a direct copy of the text on my website so this means that they have taken no notice of the fact that it’s copyright...
I am London based and these people are based in Clifton/Westbury and trim and whilst we are not in the same location, it’s a bit much to copy everything!! Every word, layout and price list layout...
I will happily help anyone and give advice on advertising etc, and have dome on a few occasions on this site and others...Just ask...
Anyway just annoyed and wondered how others deal with this???
http://www.gumtree.com/london/65/42586965.html - This is all my own work.. lol..

Jack

If they are on Gumtree then use the Report button. Contact them and let them know you have found they have copied your ad, and that you wish them to remove it immediately.

Drop them a mail, report the ad, keep an eye out for them.

Like you I have my own 'gumtree' ad that I have worked on to use, it becomes part of your brand almost. Don't waste too much of your own time on them.

Mat

Mat,
Thanks.. done all that..
I emailed them from the gumtree ad, sent them a seperate email, and called the salon three times and each time was told the salon owner would call me back..
Contacted Gumtree today...
I guess some people dont have the best way with grammar so maybe its easier just to copy!!...
Jack

Hi Jack

I know people will say you should be flattered that someone thinks enough of your ad to copy it, but I can completely understand you feeling so annoyed.

You have always been generous regarding sharing your advice (I'm sure I've chatted to you before about your gumtree ad) so I hope this doesn't put you off continuing to share.

Hopefully, the fact that you've reported them, and have been actively trying to contact the owner, will let them know you will not take this blatant copying lying down!

Is there not some sort of copyright jargon you can quote to them too? (I'm sure Ruth on here can help you with that if you want to pursue it - or just scare them a bit)! LOL

E x

I have had the exact same thing just this week with gumtree, the person is in direct competition to me and has completely copied the text from my website.

I have tried to contact the person but they are yet to get back to me.

I used the report button on gumtree but after several days of not hearing I have also emailled them...so will wait to hear what they say.

Over the years there have been several occasions where I seen my work copied, I have even been accused of copying someone elses work when in actual fact it was the other way round!!! I let that go as I didn't want to get into a tit-for-tat argument at the time as my mother had just suffered a stroke so had more urgent matters to deal with.

Definitely continue your persuit to get the advert removed, and keep an eye out for future ads appearing :)

I have had the same thing happen someone literally copied and pasted my whole website! Then when contacted insisted they had never heard of me before.

I asked them to remove it and they havent done.

The same thing with gumtree, some people just have no individuality.

Thanks.. for your replies...
Maybe we shouls all name and shame!!...lol...

Jack x

Maybe we should all name and shame!!...lol...

Jack x

I would hate to think it was a fellow Geek!

Surely no-one would be so sneaky as to use this forum and then so blatantly copy another geek's ad.

Would they????? :eek:

I would hate to think it was a fellow Geek!

Surely no-one would be so sneaky as to use this forum and then so blatantly copy another geek's ad.

Would they????? :eek:
I am not sure if they are !!... But i am sure of the few hundred views this thread has had someone will know who they are....

But as a therapist its just something you dont do..

To copy a phrase or a bit of text is one thing.. but when you take the time to copy and paste the work of someone else then its bad...

But im not going to bother to contact them anymore..and I have set up a google alert with their website name so if they do it again I will deal with it...

Clearly they needed some professional help to get their male waxing business running for them...!!

Thanks Jack

did ya notice theres a phone number ? can you phone and politly ask to change the text so its not the sameas yours xx

did ya notice theres a phone number ? can you phone and politly ask to change the text so its not the sameas yours xx
Hi there, Yes I have seen their numbers, I sent an email via Gumtree, another email to the main account, and I called the salon three times, and spoke to the staff who confirmed they had informed her and that she would return my call...
I have sent a PM..
Thanks again

Jack

Well done for stickin up for urself I don't think id have the guts! Id just let it fly over my head and id quick happily crouch down and let it!

It did make me laugh tho how they'd not even botherd to edit it slightly to actually make sence!!

The bit were u explain about if u come often its cheaper and were your prices are it has a this-to-that price were as they have just bang 1 price (probably cheaper then your) and didn't even bother to delete the bit above! Hehe

Well I hope they reply on the other thread to you and get it sorted! Shame on them and I think she will be slightly embarrsed that it has happend so publicly! (Well does serve them right) x

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Well done for stickin up for urself I don't think id have the guts! Id just let it fly over my head and id quick happily crouch down and let it!

It did make me laugh tho how they'd not even botherd to edit it slightly to actually make sence!!

The bit were u explain about if u come often its cheaper and were your prices are it has a this-to-that price were as they have just bang 1 price (probably cheaper then your) and didn't even bother to delete the bit above! Hehe

Well I hope they reply on the other thread to you and get it sorted! Shame on them and I think she will be slightly embarrsed that it has happend so publicly! (Well does serve them right) x

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App
Thanks...

I had tried several times to make contact in other ways, and when I saw the web name on this site.. I thought why not...

To copy the odd phrase, or bits and pieces is one thing, we read stuff, we look at websites and we gather bits and bobs and generally thats never too much of a problem...

But when you place your mouse on someones work and you click copy.. then you know exactly what you are doing.. whilst they may only have copied an internet ad, this text is from my website, so this is a bigger issue

Anyway I have made my point, and I have made several requests and if they choose to ignore it then fine...

Thanks Jack

Shocking! I can't believe they are on another thread here asking for advice on how to promote their business when they have so blatantly copied your own ad.

This forum is intended to offer help and support to each other. Can the mods on here help you with this as this other geek is just abusing their membership.

This has happened to me also, I have been open 5 years now & as all you salon owners know your heart & soul goes into everything from the salon decor, too your advertising, picking the right staff & the quality of your work and customer service.
A salon a coulpe of doors from myself which has recently changed its name not only has used my colour schemes in thier shop sign. But thier price list is word for word the same as mine. This really frustrates me as I spend weeks if not months perfecting my price list for some one to come along type up thier own on a computer and print it off, even thier logo on the front & design is very much the same.
when I put my monthly offers on my board or website a couple of days later they put the same offers out on thier board & the same with their FB page everything I write in my salons FB status something similar appears in thiers days later. I would take it as a complement if they werent on my doorstep but I really do think they should come up with thier own ideas and thier own indentity.
I have not yet said anything but I am very close too doing so.
The only good thing is that clients and friends have noticed this and keep saying to me they look like they are copying your ideas or basing thier salon on yours. I'm just glad that people are noticing that they are coping my work & not the other way round.
My new price lists have now been printed with a copy right so they will have no alternative but to change thier's.
Sorry for the long post, glad you brought up the subject and I am glad to have got that off my chest.
V x

Shocking! I can't believe they are on another thread here asking for advice on how to promote their business when they have so blatantly copied your own ad.

This forum is intended to offer help and support to each other. Can the mods on here help you with this as this other geek is just abusing their membership.
Thanks Ellie,

I guess as its not an issue on this forum then its not down to the moderators to resolve, and I was not looking for that..

Its clearly something that happens, and from my point I just wanted people to be clear that it was my work, and not the other way round...

Anyway as they say you reap what you sow....

Thanks again.. Jack x

This has happened to me also, I have been open 5 years now & as all you salon owners know your heart & soul goes into everything from the salon decor, too your advertising, picking the right staff & the quality of your work and customer service.
A salon a coulpe of doors from myself which has recently changed its name not only has used my colour schemes in thier shop sign. But thier price list is word for word the same as mine. This really frustrates me as I spend weeks if not months perfecting my price list for some one to come along type up thier own on a computer and print it off, even thier logo on the front & design is very much the same.
when I put my monthly offers on my board or website a couple of days later they put the same offers out on thier board & the same with their FB page everything I write in my salons FB status something similar appears in thiers days later. I would take it as a complement if they werent on my doorstep but I really do think they should come up with thier own ideas and thier own indentity.
I have not yet said anything but I am very close too doing so.
The only good thing is that clients and friends have noticed this and keep saying to me they look like they are copying your ideas or basing thier salon on yours. I'm just glad that people are noticing that they are coping my work & not the other way round.
My new price lists have now been printed with a copy right so they will have no alternative but to change thier's.
Sorry for the long post, glad you brought up the subject and I am glad to have got that off my chest.
V x
Thanks for your reply, and glad you got it off your chest.. a group therapy session!!..
Jack x

Latest posts

Back