How do you patch test for a spray tan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shellie xx

Reaction score
Hi! Just wondering if you can tell me how you would patch test for a spray tan? Would you spray some solution on an inconspicous areas or would you dab it? xx

Just dab a bit on the stomach area with some tissue hun XX

Thank you Jules xx

I have only ever done one in the 4 years I have been tanning and this was also on the tummy area. :hug:

Thank you Jen. I have a lady that has reacted to another fake tan solution before so I thought it would be best to patch test on her first xx

Thank you Jen. I have a lady that has reacted to another fake tan solution before so I thought it would be best to patch test on her first xx

Absolutely right... any kind of reaction the client should have a patch test before having any further tanning product on their skin. The active ingredient in all tanning products is the DHA and if they are senstive to this, the sensitivity will worsen with each application. It may be they are sensitive to perfume or alcholol which may have been present in a previous tan... so yes you definately are doing the right thing by patch testing this client...

:hug:

How large an area should you apply?

Some people are reactive to the Bronzers in the solution. Commonly happens towards the end of the development time around 6 hours. They can shower off around this time and have no further problems and their tan still looks good. It's quite unusual to be allergic to DHA its usually something else = but you cant be sure. HTH
Liz :lol:

How large an area should you apply?

The test I did was the size of a tea saucer on the tummy. I just put a little on to a cotton pad and circled the pad on the tummy .... it was perhaps about 3inches in diametre. This would have shown a reaction if the client was sensitive.

The test I did was the size of a tea saucer on the tummy. I just put a little on to a cotton pad and circled the pad on the tummy .... it was perhaps about 3inches in diametre. This would have shown a reaction if the client was sensitive.

I have a client who has never been able to have a tan of any brand without reacting very badly to it. She wants me to patch test her with Couture, should I do the size you suggest?

I have a client who has never been able to have a tan of any brand without reacting very badly to it. She wants me to patch test her with Couture, should I do the size you suggest?

I would yes. Just dab the solution on to a cotton pad and do a small circle about 3inch in diametre on her tummy or thigh maybe and ask her to watch for any reaction. If it goes warm, itchy, red and raised she needs to remove it straight away and possibly take a antihistimene. If there is no reaction after 24 hours then she will be ok. She needs to leave it for as long as possible before removing. :hug:

OK I will do.
Thanks Jen :hug:

Thank you for all of your replies. I think the client that has had a reaction before was sensitive to the fragrance in the particular brand she used because she is very sesitive to essential oils and has used other tanning products and not reacted. Hopefully she will be ok with mine! Thanks again xx

The worst reaction to a fake tan (and not done by me - I hasten to add) was a girl who had a huge breakout on her chest of yellowy mattery spots.

We patch tested her to try our tan and the same happened again.

Not very nice.

you could also patch test behind the ear or in the crease of the arm.

you could also patch test behind the ear or in the crease of the arm.

Yes you could... but I don't think having a big brown spodge would be that cool on the arm or behind the ear :eek: lol!! I do eyelash tint and perm solution here as its a tiny patch test... but with tanning solution I think a larger amount is needed for a true picture ... what do other people think?

:hug:

interesting thread!!

i have done loads of patch test lately, mainly due to the proms, and girls not knowing how brown they want to be and being indecisive, so i offer the patch test of say two different shades, they then have been coming back showing me and deciding then to book the tan!!

i have patch tested on the thigh, tummy and outer arm!!
i have been doing it with a lint free wipe and just wiping it on about the same size as a lint free pad,
and ive done say like the 5% on top then 8% underneath
i always ask them where they would like it done, some same where it wont be seen, another wanted it on her arm to show her mates !!!

i have found that if anyone is unsure then its sooo easy to do this, then when they realise they DONT have an orange blob, they are quite happy to proceed

as i have found quite a bit of negativity with spray tans as some people automatically think oh i will look orange
the same way some people always think nail extensions ruin your nails,

always good to try first!!

Thank you Lotus Blossom, that's a really good point. I had never thought of trying different colours too! xx

you dont need a big brown spodge. some of my clients do not want big brown patches on the body so if they have long hair I have put it behind the ear. it works just as good where ever you put a test. (after all the test behind the ear is only to see if the client is allergic to the solution) I put it on the belly if they want to see the colour.

you dont need a big brown spodge. some of my clients do not want big brown patches on the body so if they have long hair I have put it behind the ear. it works just as good where ever you put a test. (after all the test behind the ear is only to see if the client is allergic to the solution) I put it on the belly if they want to see the colour.

Spot on :hug:

Use a cotton bud dipped into solution for the patch test behind the ear ..saves getting your own hands covered

Latest posts

Back