How do you practice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webdivauk

Reaction score
Do you have any tips on how to practice painting nails with vinylux & shellac?

I'm not having problems with longevity of my vinylux or shellac however neatness needs to improve. I have friends who I practice on but that's every few weeks. I thought about getting full nail tips to practice on. All suggestions welcomed :)

If you'd like to practice between clients, but don't have enough people to work on, I think a 'nail trainer' would be the next best thing, you can get them on ebay, hope this helps, good luck :)

Or a cheaper option, fill a rubber glove with rice, flour, whatever! and blue tac some full nail tips on and paint away.....

I used a 'nail trainer' to practice and found it excellent.

x

practice on tips etc of course but the best practice is on real hands so i would start doing your own aswell, great thing is you are available when you need it!! and not only that if you can master your own clients will be a breeze lol

If getting a neat finish is your only concern, I would not waste Shellac to practice on friends. Stick with polish and get your friends back more regularly. Manipulate their fingers and hands to get in the positions that you need to see and think of them purely as models, so you can work on your technique. I would also get a nail trainer and keep at it.

practice on tips etc of course but the best practice is on real hands so i would start doing your own aswell, great thing is you are available when you need it!! and not only that if you can master your own clients will be a breeze lol

The majority of practice (well all of it actually) has been on myself.
I was worried that all this Gelishing would have done me nails in, but cos I do the proper prep and removal they are still really strong.

My nail art practice is done on cheap large clear nail tips from eBay stuck on an orange wood stick, and when i get the design I'm happy with I do it onto a pop for my display.

you could always put an advert on Salon Guinea Pig if you want to practice on models.

Just state your requirements and I'm sure you'll have lots wanting to help you.

The majority of practice (well all of it actually) has been on myself.
I was worried that all this Gelishing would have done me nails in, but cos I do the proper prep and removal they are still really strong.

My nail art practice is done on cheap large clear nail tips from eBay stuck on an orange wood stick, and when i get the design I'm happy with I do it onto a pop for my display.

the best thing about doing it on yourself is you can also see how it wears. Take pics of everything you do aswell and put them on your computer so you can see them close up too and then as you go on you have something to look back on and think "yes ive improved since then". plus if you are changing yours regularly you can try different designs etc out on yourself xx

I would try to use real nails, so friends, family or yourself. As already said you can check on the longevity. If it's just for practise on neatness rather than application and longevity I would use polish and not waste your Shellac.

I'm a bad nail biter so working on myself wasn't really an option. What I did find good was using Play-Doh and creating 'fingers' or sausages and placing full tips into them. I pressed the nail down and in to the Play-Doh so I had an eponychium and side walls that I needed to be aware of. And I painted and polished.

Usually I created 10 fingers so it felt like I was painting on a client, and I would start with a cheapy base coat and work my way through all 10 fingers, begin again with the colour and finish off with a top coat.

This let me work out timings, made sure I didn't drag and ruin the colour layers. I found this really helped me neaten up my sidewalls and cuticle lines. Plus it was cheap, re-usable and all I needed to keep buying was full tips which I bought from Ebay.

Some great ideas! Thank you all for taking the time to leave comments. I'm drumming up some volunteers and I'm
going to try tips on an orange stick for a bit of extra practice. I'm also going to stop using shellac on myself for a while and swap to vinylux so I can change the polish easily.

you could always put an advert on Salon Guinea Pig if you want to practice on models.

Yep, there are are over 12,000 people using the site now, and we also send out notification emails to everyone in your area who is interested in the treatments you need models for now - so it should be a very quick and easy way to find models if you need them - it's also totally free to use as well :)

Is that only for UK? Wonder if they have one gor canada

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek

Is that only for UK? Wonder if they have one gor canada

It's currently only for the UK... but I have an international site planned for the future, that would cover Canada (amongst other places)...

It's currently only for the UK... but I have an international site planned for the future, that would cover Canada (amongst other places)...

That would be great :)

Latest posts

Back