How is your business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lavander Rose

Reaction score
Hello there

I just wanted to ask anyone who rents how is your business going??

Are you busy everyday eg 4+ clients

Or have you been having quieter days or weeks.

I have been renting for 5 months now and all as been well, especially over the last two school holidays, but last week and two days of the week b4 have been quieter than usual,

now it that the usual thing that goes on or is it just my salon lol

Beauty is such a fickle business & there can be no rhyme or reason sometimes for quiet or busy patches, despite the general seasonal tendencies. I spent the last 6 years making a monthly note of how many of each treatment I did & found little in the way of a pattern. Maybe the cold wet weathers to blame, or they've all gone away to find some sun?!

Personally I'm very busy every day at the moment, working solidly from 9.30 till 5/6 o'clock with no breaks - not even for lunch, naughty I know, but I don't like turning people away! I always like to grab it whilst I can in preparation for those times when it seems everyone's forsaken you & gone elsewhere, because you can never tell when those quiet patches are on their way.

I was just talking about this to a couple of friends. they've both been in the biz since leaving school so 20 years(ish), one's a mobile hairdresser and the other mobile beauty therapist.

Both said its feast or famine with no apparent reason for it. When your busy you are rushed off your feet. when your quiet you think thats the end of the road.

I've had a very quiet month and think its to do with the papers and news constantly banging on about increasing cost of living.

I've just opened about three weeks ago and it's been go-go-go ever since.

I have 4 or 5 clients a day, and like Martin usually work straight through.

The majority of my clients are rebooking and as of right now my book is steady for at least the next 6 weeks or so.

I do feel a bit overwhelmed some days-I was sure that I would have to actually work on marketing. But now I'm thinking about cancelling an ad in our local paper as I've had to turn away numerous clients during the past 10 days or so.

I'm not complaining, just amazed that I am as busy as I am, that's all.

I only work four days a week. But I am averaging 10 appointments a day. What I am finding though, is that people are forgetting their appts. and having to pay the cancellation fee. I'm afraid I might be losing one of my long term clients(17 years). The hardest thing I do is to run my business like a business. We'll see if she comes back. She looked REALLY mad when she left!:eek:

I only work four days a week. But I am averaging 10 appointments a day. What I am finding though, is that people are forgetting their appts. and having to pay the cancellation fee. I'm afraid I might be losing one of my long term clients(17 years). The hardest thing I do is to run my business like a business. We'll see if she comes back. She looked REALLY mad when she left!:eek:

10 appointments per day!!!!

Wow!

You are a superstar! Tell us your secrets, please? How do you fit them all in?

A new set takes me about 1 ½ hours, a fill about an hour, a pedicure is 1 h 10 mins and a manicure is 50 minutes. I just don't think I could squeeze anymore clients in at the moment. It's usually a mani/pedi or acrylic nails....

.....do tell....

Saucygirl-
Thanks for the compliment. Several years ago, another tech advised me to start working with a stopwatch. Each procedure is timed and I try really hard to stick to it! My clients are most often on time because I'm on time and that helps. New sets are 1 hour, manicure 30 minutes(45 w/ paraffin), pedicures are 1 hour, pink only fills are 30 minutes and a backfill is 45 minutes. One way that I cut my time way down was to use an acrylic cutter. I don't know if you've ever seen one, but it looks like a small, round disc with 5-9 half moon cut-outs around it. I only worry that I might forget how to do it the old fashioned way! One of my best pieces of advice was to "talk to the hand". That is, instead of looking up at your client when talking, keep working,too!

It is the holiday season guys as well so there may be alot of people enjoying the sunshine.

Hiya :)

I'm new to this and will be setting up 2 evenings and 9-2 on a saturday in a couple of weeks (good job I don't do many mobile cos my car's poorly :cry:)

Anyway, is 4-5 appts a day the norm? I was hoping for a couple of appts in the evs (4-9) and 3-4 on a Saturday.

Obviously not straightaway although I have had a lot of interest so far but only a couple of firm bookings, I realise it takes time to build, hence why only working these hours (I have a school hours job too). I'm only offering waxing and spray tanning atm, I will be starting my Creative foundation course in August.

I apologise if this isn't the gist of the thread, I just wondered really if this amount of appts was a realistic goal.

Thanks peeps :)

xx

As many clients as possible is what your looking for! I agree there's no way to predict what way it'll go, last wk we we're through the roof I am so happy, took a day off on monday came in 2day n girls had been twiddling their thumbs all day! :mad: I've been ok today the same as always - dont know what to expect this wk............

Hi, Im a mobile nail tech in Spain. Things seem to be quiet here too. Nobody appears to want to part with their money at the mo even though they are really happy with the end results! So, anybody coming to Almunecar, Costa Tropical in Spain, get over here, I need more clients!

I relocated last year and I have had to adapt to a very different market. I am busy (5/6 clients) for about 4 days of the week which I am happy with. My client base is growing and growing. Unfortunately, so many of my clients only come every 5 to 6 weeks which is not ideal but at least they do come back, eventually lol!

Hi guys

Thankyou to all that have responded so far, its nice to see how everyone is getting on and gratfull for feedback.

Ive been really busy since opening up 5 months ago and I have been reaching the rent every month and I made £250 profit last month which is being carried over to this months which is half the rent, but omg last week and 2 days of the week b4 was really quiet, hence i panicked coz i love it when its busy i average about 4/5 clients a day usually but last week i was either noone in or 1 a day booo hooo, im optimistic that its going to get busy now the kids are off school well heres hoping lol

keep up the good work everyone us beauty therapists need it, its not an easy business to be in but very rewarding

Take care everyone

Lavander Rose

Business is going really well! im fully booked until middle of next week! and tomorrow i have about 15 - 20 clients in (im actually dreading the loooooooong day) i do have quiet days though!! like today i had maybe 6 clients in because this afternoon i had a 3 hour pedicure training session with one of my reps (its called sixtus - you should try it..its fab!)

glad to hear your all keeping busy girls!!!

C xxx

I'm actually looking forward to having a few quiet weeks as I juggle the school holidays with trying to work and look after my son.
I tend to only go in to do the appointments booked in, so that I can spend more time with him
I've also booked some days off or half days to take the pressure off.

also taking 2 weeks annual leave off, but my clients have had 2 months notice of this, and I remind them in every newsletter I send out.

the week I'm back off my holls I'm chocka, so thats good and kids will nearly be back in school.

then september will be all systems go.

Incidentally, I had a really quiet week last week, so sent out 70 emails, 20 texts and a few phone calls. It resulted in 4 extra appointments. I also put on some special offers which bought me in another 4 appointments that I wouldn't have had, but made me 3 new clients.

I had 5 clients today ask if they can book for XMAS!! :eek:

Im longing for a break though.....never been so busy, which is very good in this worrying credit crunch time but for how long it lasts, I don't know...

My days have been 8am til 10pm, client every hour, not good for me as i'm feeling the burn, taken on new 3 new staff which is helping, but some of my clients won't try new staff, want me everytime.
It's fustrating at times cause I need to get my life back to normal hours, no time for myself & no social life, not all glam owning a salon.
Sometimes I feel I could give it all up, it's such hard work keeping it all together, Salon, Staff, Home, Kids & a Dog!!!!
I shouldn't moan at being very busy, as it could be very quiet as some of my nail tech friends are experiencing & worried of it.

Stroll on Sept, 2wk holiday in the sun!!:green:

I'm actually looking forward to having a few quiet weeks as I juggle the school holidays with trying to work and look after my son.
I tend to only go in to do the appointments booked in, so that I can spend more time with him
I've also booked some days off or half days to take the pressure off.

also taking 2 weeks annual leave off, but my clients have had 2 months notice of this, and I remind them in every newsletter I send out.

the week I'm back off my holls I'm chocka, so thats good and kids will nearly be back in school.

then september will be all systems go.

Incidentally, I had a really quiet week last week, so sent out 70 emails, 20 texts and a few phone calls. It resulted in 4 extra appointments. I also put on some special offers which bought me in another 4 appointments that I wouldn't have had, but made me 3 new clients.

Thats a fab idea hippychick, I'm going to do that (texting, newsletter, emails) today !!. Its all of a sudden gone busy for me (last two weeks been a bit quiet), but as with all spray tans, they want them in the evening, so quietish in the day, busy on an evening - cant complain, gives me time for some marketing time !! :hug:

Latest posts

Back