How long does the leasing process take?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodipodi

Reaction score
Hiya guys, Im only at the thinking stage at the moment but just wondering does anyone have an idea of how long approximately it takes from talking to the leaseholder to actually getting the keys for a salon? :)

It took about 4 months for me to get the keys to my salon and it was only so quick because i backed down on a lot of things because i wanted it there and then lol hth :hug:

Hi depends If the shop Is vacant ... I'd say around 3mths - so much goes into It

Hope this helps
TT

Thanks peeps thats just what I wanted to hear...does it take this long because of any particular reasons such as 'doing it up' or is it the legal side of things that take a while? Theres a shop thats all set up for a salon and trading at the moment, thats why I ask. xx

A question for you's....Ive got a feeling of what it is but can someone tell me what RV stands for money wise when it comes to a lease and BRV? Think its possibly business rates but as Im new to all this I could be totally wrong!! lol xx

Last edited:
Its actually rateable value - you can then use your localcouncil website to work out exactly you will have to pay, but you can probably get a small business discount as well.

x

That was quick!!! So does the council website explain everything? How do you work out your rates from that? xx Thanx Claire

Go to the site and have a look, they should tell you how is valued - that doesn't tend to be the amount you pay because you times it by the rateable factor (or something!). X

Thanx hun,will do xx

Thanks peeps thats just what I wanted to hear...does it take this long because of any particular reasons such as 'doing it up' or is it the legal side of things that take a while? Theres a shop thats all set up for a salon and trading at the moment, thats why I ask. xx
Its the legal side of things that take a while,
their solicitor will draw up a lease agreement for you and your solicitor to look over, anything you don't like or want adding is then altered by your solicitor and sent back to theirs for them to look over and agree or disagree, there is a lot of points you both need to agree on before signing anything but your solicitor will have your best interests at heart so listen to what they say,
you may be lucky and everything may fall into place on the first draft hth

Cheers hun,the salon has turned out unsuitable for me at the moment I dont feel its in a great spot. Have seen another though-main street,lotsa shops;sainsburys,chippy,bakers,launderette, NO HAIR OR BEAUTY and loooooaads of passing trade with plenty parking.Thers a few colleges and a uni nearby and its a mixed area of ''incomes'' Id say. Only thing is the rents quite a bit in my little world lol (abt 190pw). Does anyone know about the rates discount for a first time/small business-someone said its about 50% I worked it out at this and it comes to about 120pw does that sound right?!? xxx

My god-that rents quite high isnt it?!! Have just looked through some other posts lol x

The rent is high because the shop is on a high street,
it could work to your favour though, it sounds an idea position,
i have a small salon on a main street and once my small business discount has been deducted i pay just over £400 per year hth

PER YEAR?! Sorry I worked it out wrong before but still is double yours! Ive worked out now-£82 per month or £994 per year after discount etc. Can you negotiate the lease and if yes how cheeky can you be? lol xx

Of course you can negotiate the lease, that's why it takes a long time sometimes,
you have the economy on your side at the mo, no one will want to be taking on a shop at this time so use that to your advantage, a land lord would rather lower the the rent than have an empty building costing them money, just remind them of this,
and be as cheeky as you dare,

the landlord at my place has just reduced the rent on two of her
properties because they have been empty for months and i told the new people that they had been empty for a while so it was a good idea to try to knock her down and it worked lol, hth

Ooo good! Thanks for that hun xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back