How many coats per Shellac top coat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellabella

Reaction score
Hello guys, happy new year!
I know there are a load of threads on thick top coats, and help to improve..
I just wanted to know from all you Shellac pros.. how many applications you are getting from your top coats (small bottles)
When I did the training, we were advised we should get 40 application from the base and top coats, and 20 ish from colours, based on x2 coats...
I have no problems with the base or colours..just the top coat..
After having a few top coats go thick after a while, I decided to do a count with my last purchased top coat, and I've got to 27 and it's started to go thick...only bought end nov...so it's been used in a quick period.. I shake well and ensure lid always on tight, apply thin etc... I've had to start warming up as the client arrives to allow it to thin out...
Can anyone else tell me if they get the full 40 applications out of the bottle?
:hug:

I never ever got the full 40 out of my top coats! Also a few bottles were unusable as they were so thick so out of desperation ...one day I used gelicure top coat over my shellac and have been using it ever since I find it
Lasts longer and adds a little bit more strength! And you get loads out of the bottle

I agree with it going thick and unusable, I have started to tuck it under my leg at the beginning of the service to warm it up and it's made quite a difference. I'd read about people doing it in here for ages and not tried it til now and I'm glad I did. I have several bottles not finished but I won't be using another top coat over the top. You can't charge people for CND Shellac then use a different product....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I used to have same problem with the smaller bottles of top coat but when I changed to the bigger bottles I literally use them until the end...not sure why that is and not sure how many applications I get from it but will start counting on the next bottles!!

I agree with it going thick and unusable, I have started to tuck it under my leg at the beginning of the service to warm it up and it's made quite a difference. I'd read about people doing it in here for ages and not tried it til now and I'm glad I did. I have several bottles not finished but I won't be using another top coat over the top. You can't charge people for CND Shellac then use a different product....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app[/QUOTE I tried tucking it under my leg but the two bottles were beyond that helping them ,brushes were all messed up two ... :(
Sorry but I do disagree I may use a different top coat but it works and works well!! My clients all find it better to CNDs topcoat... I know how it sound to other professionals , and wouldn't of dared even tried this combo if it wasn't for the couple of bad bottles of topcoats!! I use all CND products ( apart from topcoat ) carry out a professional
Service and I feel justified in charging full price and my clients are happy to pay! :) :)

I have had the same problem and honestly thought it was just me! I have been tucking it under my leg too ha ha. At the price it costs this should not be happening should it? Xx

Last edited:
I normally get about 35-30 out of too and base! The most I've got out of a colour is 16

I don't think I get 40 applications. I shake it well to begin with and try to warm it prior to using but still find it goes thick quite quickly. Feel like I'm constantly ordering it sometimes! Sigh... Saying that though. That's my only issue with all the CND products I use, which isn't bad considering!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys,
It's great to know I'm not doing something wrong, and the bottle under thigh trick is widely used lol!!!
I have worked out how much each client is costing me, on what I currently use...and it's pretty good - so I'm not overly concerned, I just wanted other peoples opinions, I bought the big bottle once but found it went thick too quickly, so kept to the small.
Thanks again everyone!
:hug:

I'm a fan of the large bottle, I found the small one got thick too quickly and it felt like I was forever running out and re-buying. I like to order once a month, that way I have enough products to get free delivery.

Karaxxx

I have had the same problem and honestly thought it was just me! I have been tucking it under my leg too ha ha. At £14 a pop this should not be happening should it? Xx

We don't post pro prices on this forum. Maybe you can edit out or a mod will do this when spotted.

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

We don't post pro prices on this forum. Maybe you can edit out or a mod will do this when spotted.

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Oh right. Didnt know that. Thanks :confused:

I'm going for the bigger bottle top coat next time x

Latest posts

Back