How many is enough?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salzgirlie

Reaction score
Hey Geeks,

I have started my spray tanning business and am offering tans at £4.00 just to cover costs. I am using Fresh Indulgence Caribbean range. Had my first one yesterday, she was quite pale so I used 7.5%.

She text this morning to say that the coverage was really good but she thinks she could have gone darker as her arms are a bit pale and one hand is a bit patchy (when driving off I thought I had oversprayed her hand) but she was really pleased in general (she knew it was my first). I have offered to give her a freebie at 9.5% next week but was wondering how many you did before you felt ready to charge full price.

I have 4 more booked in for £4.00.

Salzgirlie xx

I was confident after around ten I suppose. I wouldn't do too many more at £4.00 maybe raise it to £10!
Just my opinion. Good luck babe x

Sent from my GT-S5363 using Tapatalk 2

i charged full price from day one.

you have get paid for your training, stock and time.

if you under charge what you are worth it is very hard to get the respect you deserve.

i understand you are only starting out if i was you i would suss out the local prices and stay competitive with them but don't under sell yourself.

I was confident after around ten I suppose. I wouldn't do too many more at £4.00 maybe raise it to £10!
Just my opinion. Good luck babe x

Sent from my GT-S5363 using Tapatalk 2

That is what I thought. On my FB page I have only offered it for 2 weeks. I am quite confident with it, I just want someone to say it is perfect before I charge full price. May put the price up to £10 the following week if I am still not happy.

Thanks for your reply xx

After about 10 tans you should feel a lot more confident and ready to charge full price.

Why have you offered the first person you did a free tan?

Make sure you start out strong and do not get walked over, if other clients find out you have given a free tan to someone because she had patchy issues then they may try crying wolf to get a free tan too and this will do your confidence NO good at all.

Remember you are giving them a huge discount already and they know you are new and therefore it is possible to have some issues with their tan and because of this you only charging £4. Your already compensating these client by offering them a MASSIVE price reduction so you should not be giving away any free tans.

i did a fewfamily as practice and then started charging, you need to cover your costs hun or its not worth it.

After about 10 tans you should feel a lot more confident and ready to charge full price.

Why have you offered the first person you did a free tan?

Make sure you start out strong and do not get walked over, if other clients find out you have given a free tan to someone because she had patchy issues then they may try crying wolf to get a free tan too and this will do your confidence NO good at all.

Remember you are giving them a huge discount already and they know you are new and therefore it is possible to have some issues with their tan and because of this you only charging £4. Your already compensating these client by offering them a MASSIVE price reduction so you should not be giving away any free tans.

Thanks Baggybear . . I was actually thinking of messaging you as I have seen your a tanner with good advice on here.

Only because she is the first and she was willing to let me practice on her (and I couldn't decide what % to do her so I said I would start off light). Plus, she lives at the end of my road so I can literally walk to her. When I finished I said if anything is wrong then I will do a freebie, one of those moments where you wish you had of thought about what you said before you actually said it!!

I am really confident in what I am doing and think a patchy hand is not bad for a first time. You have given me a bit of a kick and I am going to reign it in!

You have made me feel like walking tall . . . Thank you! xx

Starting off light is always best as any mishaps are not so noticeable so you did the right thing there and you can go up a percent on the next tan and by then you should feel much more confident and have less issues with hands & feet (these are the problem areas for 99% of people when the begin tanning).

Try not to panic at the end of your appointments lol. Ask them to please contact you after wash off and let you know what they think of the tan and of any issues they may have.

Try to bite your tongue when you feel the urge to offer freebie and wait for the feedback. Only after getting feedback and SEEING the tan/issues yourself should you offer free tans :wink2: (even if they live next door lol).

The best advice I can give is to have 3 models at the start, get them in at the same time each week for 3 /4 weeks (I suggest before the wine and DVD) Get them to pay a small fee like £20 each. Set up and spray them one after the other. This gets your rhythm going and by the third tan you are probably feeling much more confident than the first.
The next week assess how the tans have faded and how the product lasted on each client. By the third time you'll be a whizz, you have 3 happy clients, have addressed common problems, know your equipment and be able to move on confidently with a price range that suits your skill.

Hope that helps

£4 ? what about your time ect.. I know your trying to get confident etc but you should at least charge £10 in my opinion.

It's always those you do a deal for that complain, I bet if you'd of charged her full price she wouldn't of complained... lol & tbh the client is a bit cheeky taking a 'freebie' off you when she got it for nearly free in the first place! She should of politely offered to pay you again, she knows your new to it hence the such low price.

Don't let people take the micky :hug:

Why not watch some YouTube videos of spray tans, I still watch them now & ive lost count of how many tans I've done this past year, I'm confident in tanning but still like to watch the videos.

You'll get better with practise, I used to hate spray tanning honest lol I'd get a sweat on if anyone booked, now i love it :)

x x

Sent from my HTC Desire C using SalonGeek

I don't spray, but get sprayed. If its any help I look awful when iv just been sprayed and it starts to develop. I look like I'm going to go patchy. When I wash the top layer off I look great.
£4 is nothing btw. I pay £15 for mine. Although I did have free when a friend started spraying but I have her a free cut and blowdry. Xoxo

I only charged £4 for the first week (this week). I had my training on Tuesday and then a few four pounders this week to get used to it (and see if I am any good! . . lol) It covers costs and makes me feel ok if it is not right but so far, the patchy hand is the only bad feedback.

I have got 2 booked in at full price (£20 - the going rate around here) for next week which I am really chuffed about and one for £15 as she is letting me advertise in her cafe and she is telling all and sundry about me so it was the least I could do!

Yeay to me!

xx

I'm entering my second month as a tanner and loving it! You sound like you know your stuff and have confidence and its time to get paid what you are worth! Xxx

Latest posts

Back