How much lift do you get from client to client? does anyone get 100% no lift?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1nails

Reaction score
I wondered because I've noticed that when doing clients I may get one come back with no lift and then the next client will come back and her nails will look disgusting.

I know I put on a decent set of nails and am thorough with my prep.

I had a teen come back for infills last week and they were awful. Do you think it is because she is a teen and doesn't bother about aftercare. She wanted infills even though there was lift. The lift was almost up to the tip so I told her I would do the infill because she was going out the next night but that she would really have to take them of soon because of moisture getting trapped under the nail.

How much of it is due to clients lack of aftercare?

It is a bit demoralising. How do you top techs feel who have been in the industry for years? Do you still get lift?

I haven't been in the industry for years but i do find that if the nails are quite long or on a teenager as you say,
these are the ones that are likely to come back with lifting,
as for the teenager Q just think back to what you were like as a teenager,
did you do as you were told, not many of us did, its a teenager thing that thankfully we all (most) grow out of :hug:

I would say I get 90% no lifting....the other 10% i put down to either...me having a off day and getting a bit close to the sides or clients.

Assuming that your prep etc is good, a GREAT deal of it is due to the client's aftercare.

I have clients with ZERO lift ever!! Then I have my odd ones that beat the living daylights out of them. They will confess that they don't use their gloves, or forget to use their oil, etc.. "Oops, I opened a pepsi can with my nail" etc..

Length can be a factor for many. They want them longer than they should wear them. BUT I do have about 6 clients with nails as long as my own that, like myself, NEVER get lift, unless they've had a whoops and banged their nail and they KNOW it.

IF you have clients that don't get lift, and you don't get lift, then you know it's up to the client's aftercare and not due to your own skills.
IF everyone has lift, then you have to ask yourself some questions.

I know that on my right (aka my wrong hand) I can sometimes get lift BUT that's due to A) I'm not steady with my left and sometimes get too close to the sidewalls/eponychium during application to the right B) my nails are long and I'm a righty and rough with my hands.
But my left NEVER has lift.

hth's

I had a client who was 14 and OMG...what a mess when she came back for the rebalance. Most of the nails were gone!

She wanted them super long (which I knew was not a good idea) and she had the shortest nail beds I have ever seen. A disaster waiting to happen. Anyway, I believe that because she went from bitten nails to super long, that was a huge part of the problem.

I also think teens don't take care of their nails like 'grown ups' do.

I hope this helps you out! :)

i agree with vhunter - if you have some clients who experience no lifting, then it's not solely down to you.
i have only 2 clients who get lifting - they're the ones who are hard on their hands (one's a landscape gardener, the other's a hair stylist). and i occasionally get lifting on my wrong hand.
i NEVER do enhancements on teenagers. i think they're too irresponsible to look after them. (i also secretly think that there needs to be something left to do when you've grown up)

I'm gonna say about 75%, I know when i do crappy nails, and I know why nails lift, I can exonerate myself 98% of the time.

I'm sure there will be apparent impeccable techs that won't admit to lift.

But hey "sh** happens" and I have the t-shirt.

I use a brilliant product, do immaculate prep and acrylic on the skin has been obsolete for many, many years.

Clients use crappy moisturiser, crappy hair conditioner, treat their nails like they are indestructible tools, don't wear gloves and don't use a reputable oil.

If you educate your clients, they know they are in the wrong, so don't be too hard on yourself if you know you are doing the right thing, I get sick of wet nursing clients, now I charge em .... and they know it's their fault.

BUT, before you take on my attitude, be sure you are doing all the right things.

I was gonna guess but now I've actually gone and spent a few minutes going through my client record cards and doing a tally . . . and the result is: 70% absolutely no lifting.

The ones who do experience some lifting, experience it in different degrees: for some it's just on one or two fingers that they use most to poke round with:eek: lol; for two naughty ones it's because they always try to go 4 weeks between infills; and a couple are what I call my problem ladies (in the nicest sense lol), their nails are big and flat and they have fleshy sidewalls and LOTS of cuticle :rolleyes:, interesting that my 2 problem ladies share the same type of nail (they're about the same age too actually). The rest, well who knows but anyhow it's not bad enough for them to be dissatisfied cos they are all longstanding regulars.

Moste customers come back without lifting but ofcourse there are some that come back with lifting on their nails no matter what i do. As mentioned before a lot of younger girls and hard working moms *more breakage then lifting though*.
I think a lot depends on how they treat their nails. If i have lifting on a few nails with a customer that normally has perfect nails when she comes back then i have to say that it,s probably my fault * probably been chatting too much and paying less attention to what i was doing :green: *

Every working nail technician gets some clients who have lifted product. It is not something I ever worry about personally because if it happens then it is never on all nails so both I and my clients know that it is down to abuse of some sort rather than because I didn't prep properly (after 25 years not to prep properly??).

Beginners should expect it until they have done sufficient clients to gain the experience not to have this problem. After that, then it is down to other factors. It's all part of the job!!

Hi, just wanted to ask a question.

Is lifting acceptable?

The reason why I ask this, is that a couple of people I know, go and have their nails done with techs in their local area, and a week later they have lifting, they seem to be happy with this, and think it goes with having enhancements?

thanks

I think lifting should be the exception, not the rule.

If there is a lot of lifting or nails lifting regularly, then something is wrong with either the application or client after care.

Latest posts

Back