How much lifting is too much lifting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noreenoconnor

CND Education Ambassador Cork
Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I'm just curious to know when do you draw the line with regards to lifting when your clients come back for a rebalance.

More and more of my clients seem thrilled with my enhancements. I am getting great feedback which is great in one way but people are now leaving the enhancement rebalance 4-5 weeks and coming back with terrible lifting.

Even though I tell all my clients they should be coming back every 2 weeks, they all seem to think the time for a rebalance is when they're hanging on by a thread?:eek:

I'm also finding that when I first look at the nails they don't seem too bad but as i go to reduce the length and bulk of the nail the nails really loosen up. Is this something i am doing or is it because the nails have been left so long without a rebalance?

When should i be saying these nails are beyond a rebalance we need to remove these and start again? and for those of you who do this do you find it scares clients off?

Thanks for reading , looking forward to your replies :hug:

I would explain that if they come back after let's say 2.5 or 3 weeks (whatever you decide) then it's no longer a rebalance. Think of all the time it takes to fix those nails, it's not fair to you. Unfortunately, I can't say if that will make you lose business. Hope not!

i dont do enhancements yet. But as a client I understand why I would wait 4 weeks for a rebalance :). But my safety is number one. so if I had to start all over I will... since I want to be safe from any future problems.

as a nail tech myself I do not want to be held responsible and would rather remove all enhancements and start all over again. even if it made clients mad lol. at least I was safe. we were told in school that we are to make clients nails beautiful in a safety way.

I explain to my ladies that 2-3 weeks will keep them at their nicest, 3+ is a repair job. It usually isn't, but it makes them think. Also, I'm firm. If they need new ones they have to rebook for new ones. Theyll do this once and realise its more expensive and book as you say next time! I also price differently, and it's more money for a longer rebalance. This usually keeps them coming back. As you get more and more regulars they'll start taking your word for it and doing it your way. Hth xx

I explain to my ladies that 2-3 weeks will keep them at their nicest, 3+ is a repair job. It usually isn't, but it makes them think. Also, I'm firm. If they need new ones they have to rebook for new ones. Theyll do this once and realise its more expensive and book as you say next time! I also price differently, and it's more money for a longer rebalance. This usually keeps them coming back. As you get more and more regulars they'll start taking your word for it and doing it your way. Hth xx

I like your advice! I have a similar problem to the op, my clients push it and I can be there for hours trying to make them nice again!
BritMacGirl, how does your pricing differ? Xxx

Change your price structure and charge according to the amount of work you do.

Rebalance at 2-3 weeks your usual price
Rebalance at 3-4 weeks £5 more
Rebalance 5 weeks and more....same price as enhancements !

They will all start booking their 3 week appts ;)

My thoughts exactly. I would've said anything above 4-4.5 weeks is charged as a full set. Do this and just watch your diary fill up (and each set become easier to rebalance!) x

3 weeks + and I charge for a full set.
I get most clients in between 2-3 weeks and have no problems.
If they have lost 1 nail I replace and generally don't charge.
More than 1 nail I again charge for a full set.
Client coming into me for a rebalance when they've had the nails done elsewhere- again I charge for a full set and charge a removal fee.

If the grit of your files is too low, it can cause excessive vibration on the nail and cause it to separate from the enhancement. I haven't looked to see what products you're using, but my enhancement clients regularly go 3-4 weeks in between rebalances with minimal or no lifting, and about 90 minutes an appt (I am high priced for my area). But if one came back to me a mess? Bet your bottom I'd charge for it, and I do so by the hour. :)

if clients want to push how many weeks they get from their nails that is fine BUT you need to charge accordingly, have different prices for different amount of weeks or charge by the hour and explain this to them xx

I always get people to book in at 3 weeks max. When they come back there is no lifting at this point - but if they choose to come back after 3 weeks then it's a full new set. I always explain to any new clients that there shouldn't be any lifting if they look after their nails correctly, but that it's important to come back no later than 3 weeks because the balance of the nail will be out and they are at risk of breaking nails which they don't want.

Thank you to everyone who has replied , I really appreciate it.

I've only just started renting a space in a salon for the last 4 months and I'm still learning loads!

I think the only way is as you have said do a different pricing structure, this will mean i will have to do out my pricelists again but i think it will be so worth it.

Can i just ask , what do you do if the client has abused the nails and even though they are back within 2-3 weeks , there is still too much work, would you still charge for a full set ?

Thanks everyone, this is why I love this site so much :hug:

If the grit of your files is too low, it can cause excessive vibration on the nail and cause it to separate from the enhancement. I haven't looked to see what products you're using, but my enhancement clients regularly go 3-4 weeks in between rebalances with minimal or no lifting, and about 90 minutes an appt (I am high priced for my area). But if one came back to me a mess? Bet your bottom I'd charge for it, and I do so by the hour. :)

Heather, can I ask what grit you recommend please?

Latest posts

Back