How old were you when you had your first baby?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm turning 20 in April and the thought of having children scares the living crap out of me!!
My partner is 6 years older than me and always talks about getting married and still scares me.
I really love children but I actually don't think I'll ever want any of my own.
Is that weird or did other people feel like that too?

I felt like that. My son wasn't planned but as soon as i found out i was pregnant, i changed my mind instantly x

I'm turning 20 in April and the thought of having children scares the living crap out of me!!
My partner is 6 years older than me and always talks about getting married and still scares me.

I've just turned 30 and still feel like I'm not ready and it scares the crap out of me too. I only got married 6 months ago so we don't feel any rush to start trying just yet. I'd like to wait maybe 3 or 4 years, we've just bought a house and I have just started up my business so we want things to settle down a bit first. I do sometimes feel like I'm never going to be ready. I always thought I wanted kids but now that it's actually a possibility I'm not so sure. My friends are all having babies and some are on their second too and I feel the opposite of broody when I'm around the little ones :/

Wow that's beautiful!!
It's so great to hear you're a great step mother, something a lot of people don't like being.
Xx

Aww thank you :) I know I hear that a lot too!!! But I think I was quite lucky that they were so wee when we got together! It made it easier for me. They don't really know any different now. But yes I love them!! Wouldn't change a thing now :) xx

No it's not weird, I felt exactly the same and didn't want children - then I fell pregnant on the pill and had my daughter. I love her to bits but I don't want any more children, although I fell pregnant again while using the coil. The pregnancy caused me to feel ill and have a lot of pain so the doctors think I miscarried what was probably an ectopic pregnancy. I still don't want any more kids!!

I had my first at 33 and second at 39. I would love to have been 10 years younger but I hadn't met my husband then so hey ho, there you go.

It took me 5 years to get over the shock of having my independent life ripped away from me to eventually decide on giving my daughter a sibling.

I think it's definitely harder as an older mum. It was hard to get use to me being last on the list of priorities and also the sleepless and interrupted nights, that was the worst. I couldn't take it. If I was a lot younger, like when I use to go out clubbing till 7am, I think I would have been able to cope with it More easily. I also don't have as much energy or enthusiasm.

I would recommend having them as early as possible, as long as you're in a stable relationship.

It was hard to get use to me being last on the list of priorities and also the sleepless and interrupted nights, that was the worst. I couldn't take it

I completely understand this! My daughter is 15 months old and she's never slept through the night. Never!! I think if I'd been an older parent I would have had serious problems, but it completely depends upon the child. She's fab though :):)

I'm 24 and my boyfriend is 20 but I'd like to have a baby before I'm 30!!

I had my only son at 30 on my own. I had few opportunities to have them when younger in a relationship with stable solvent types. However, I wanted to be successful in my own right, have own house out right and achieve in my own right. There is no perfect time, it is hard work regardless. Before having children I thought anyone who had them early twenties was daft, now I realise you have fit grandparents are your not so set in your ways, men as well as women get selfish as they age childless. I actually I'm looking forward to when I become a gran, although I want my son to have a career first. All I can say is I would of really struggled to make the same money and be so established if I had children young. I went back to work after birth six days and frankly I was not prepared to make sacrifices at that stage. I just wanted to continue as normal but do the child thing before too late, obviously I learned a lesson in this approach. No parent is perfect.

17 (2weeks be4 my 18th to b precise)
Wouldnt change it for the world. Had my 2nd at 21. I know have a bouncy very cheeky 5 year old and an even more cheeky 2 yr old :) xx

I was 17,21 & 27

27 was the right age for me but still think it'd have been a shock having my 1st at that age

27 and it was the right time for me ;) x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Had my first daughter at 25 and my second at 34. Didn't plan on an age gap, just the way it worked out. I was an only child and didn't want the same for my own.

My eldest is now 31, she met her Australian 'Mr Right' at 28 and I'm fervently hoping to get a grandchild or two some day. I'm hoping even more fervently that they decide to stay in the UK, as he was intending to move back to Australia at around the time they got together and consequently put the move 'On hold.' So, I don't mind him being Australian as long as he stays here!!!!! :eek:

I've just turned 30 and still feel like I'm not ready and it scares the crap out of me too. I only got married 6 months ago so we don't feel any rush to start trying just yet. I'd like to wait maybe 3 or 4 years, we've just bought a house and I have just started up my business so we want things to settle down a bit first. I do sometimes feel like I'm never going to be ready. I always thought I wanted kids but now that it's actually a possibility I'm not so sure. My friends are all having babies and some are on their second too and I feel the opposite of broody when I'm around the little ones :/

Gosh I feel exactly the same could have written your post! Who knows eh, hope your house/business goes well Xx

Sent from my HTC Desire C using SalonGeek mobile app

Had my first daughter at 25 and my second at 34. Didn't plan on an age gap, just the way it worked out. I was an only child and didn't want the same for my own.

My eldest is now 31, she met her Australian 'Mr Right' at 28 and I'm fervently hoping to get a grandchild or two some day. I'm hoping even more fervently that they decide to stay in the UK, as he was intending to move back to Australia at around the time they got together and consequently put the move 'On hold.' So, I don't mind him being Australian as long as he stays here!!!!! :eek:

The Australian economy is going down the tubes, they don't manufacture cars anymore, their only industry now is mining. It's terribly expensive there and the value of the dollar is going down, down, down. Tell them all this to hopefully convince them to stay. I will never go back.

Sorry, a bit off topic!

We had ours at 19 and 21, I'm now 24. We planned ours too and have a happy wee family. It's hard work but I think my husband worried about missing out as we are the only ones with children in our group of friends but we still have plenty nights out and he just went away with all the lads to a concert at the weekend. You don't have to give everything up! I feel I've grown up with my children and our parents love being younger grandparents. There's never a 'right' time. Once your baby is here then you make it work. Good luck! X

The Australian economy is going down the tubes, they don't manufacture cars anymore, their only industry now is mining. It's terribly expensive there and the value of the dollar is going down, down, down. Tell them all this to hopefully convince them to stay. I will never go back.

Sorry, a bit off topic!

Yeah I totally agree, I'm an Aussie and live here. Everything is sooooooo expensive if you don't make $2,000 a week you WILL struggle!!
Other than that it's awesome and I don't think I would ever move. Xx

Yeah I totally agree, I'm an Aussie and live here. Everything is sooooooo expensive if you don't make $2,000 a week you WILL struggle!!
Other than that it's awesome and I don't think I would ever move. Xx

A week? Don't you mean a month :eek:

A week? Don't you mean a month :eek:

Lol no!
If you make $2k in a week in Australia you'll be really comfortable and won't have to worry, if you make anything less and have kids to feed you'll be stressed. We pay heaps of taxes
Petrol here is $1.60 per a litre and a packet of cigarettes and now $20-$26

Sorry, a bit off topic!

Hi and thank you! :hug: I have asked him about all this in the past, as I was still under the impression Australia was cheaper in general than the UK. They go out there once/twice a year, plus his parents came over here in September, I met them and they all say the same thing - Australia is more expensive. His mother was doing a few conversions for me and it worked out that their expected 'Minimum wage' would be roughly the equivalent of around £14 an hour to us! :eek:

Anyway, prospective son in law, when they get around to it, says he would confidently expect to be earning far more back there in an equivalent job than where he is now in London. He is a chartered accountant. He came over here in 2004, initially intending to stay for about a year or so, then met my daughter just at the time when he was planning to wind things up in the UK and head back to Melbourne. So far, so good! I genuinely like him very much and and will continue to do so ..... as long as he stays here!! :lol: They are spending Christmas with us this year (they went to Oz last xmas) and I will happily put a full English Christmas dinner in front of him, HOWEVER, if he announces they're planning on going he'll be wearing it instead!!!! :wink2:

Hi and thank you! :hug: I have asked him about all this in the past, as I was still under the impression Australia was cheaper in general than the UK. They go out there once/twice a year, plus his parents came over here in September, I met them and they all say the same thing - Australia is more expensive. His mother was doing a few conversions for me and it worked out that their expected 'Minimum wage' would be roughly the equivalent of around £14 an hour to us! :eek:

Anyway, prospective son in law, when they get around to it, says he would confidently expect to be earning far more back there in an equivalent job than where he is now in London. He is a chartered accountant. He came over here in 2004, initially intending to stay for about a year or so, then met my daughter just at the time when he was planning to wind things up in the UK and head back to Melbourne. So far, so good! I genuinely like him very much and and will continue to do so ..... as long as he stays here!! :lol: They are spending Christmas with us this year (they went to Oz last xmas) and I will happily put a full English Christmas dinner in front of him, HOWEVER, if he announces they're planning on going he'll be wearing it instead!!!! :wink2:

Haha I am from Melbourne too!!
Melbourne & Sydney are generally more expensive that the other states.
And yes the wages here are much higher but the downside is that everything keeps rising in price.
I wanted to move to London and a few British backpackers told me not to unless I am loaded with money!!
Accountants can potentially earn a lot of money here depending on experience and etc but I'm sure if he loves your daughter he will stay so nothing to worry about 😘
Xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back