How to make polish last on natural nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tickle

Reaction score
Hi geeks :)

I was just wondering when it comes to doing manicures wouldn't nail polish last longer on the natural nail if it had a full prep carried out - which would include removing the surface shine? And if so why do so many salons (including where I work) make it a standard procedure to buff the nails to a high gloss shine before applying polish?

Hi geeks :)

I was just wondering when it comes to doing manicures wouldn't nail polish last longer on the natural nail if it had a full prep carried out - which would include removing the surface shine? And if so why do so many salons (including where I work) make it a standard procedure to buff the nails to a high gloss shine before applying polish?

Buffing the nails is a regular part of a manicure. This stimulates circulation to the nail plate and helps encourage strong healthy nails. I buff the nails then I wipe them over with scrub fresh to remove traces of dust or grease off the nails before applying the base coat and then the two coats of colour before finishing with a top coat.

the things i've had luck with is cleansing each with alcohol.
then, just before applying base coat, wipe each nail, again and right as it dries, apply your base. (make sense?)
also, when you apply all of you coats of polish, wrap the ends of the nails. bring the brush over the edges to seal the edge.

i hope all of this makes sense to you, i don't describe well!

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

Buffing the nails is a regular part of a manicure. This stimulates circulation to the nail plate and helps encourage strong healthy nails...

Of course I am aware of that and I follow the same procedure as you do. :)

But the point I was trying to make is in most cases the client will want the polish to last for as long as possible, and it just occured to me that perhaps a nail that has had the surface shine removed and wiped with scrubfresh would be more likely to form a better bond with polish than a nail that had been buffed smooth first, in the same way that we remove the surface shine for products such as L&P and gels to form a better bond.

Of course I am aware of that and I follow the same procedure as you do. :)

But the point I was trying to make is in most cases the client will want the polish to last for as long as possible, and it just occured to me that perhaps a nail that has had the surface shine removed and wiped with scrubfresh would be more likely to form a better bond with polish than a nail that had been buffed smooth first, in the same way that we remove the surface shine for products such as L&P and gels to form a better bond.

This is why I wipe AFTER I have buffed and before the start of polish application.

This is why I wipe AFTER I have buffed and before the start of polish application.

Sorry I think I wasn't explaining myself properly! :o

What I mean is if I refrained from high-gloss buffing, used scrubfresh to remove oils then use the rough (240?) side of a koala buffer to remove the surface shine, then re-wipe again with scrubfresh just before polishing, would this not help polish to last longer?

Hope I'm making sense. :)

What I mean is if I used the rough side of a koala buffer to remove the surface shine by gently buffing in the direction of nail growth (as instructed in the CND P.R.E.P procedure) then remove any excess oils with scrubfresh, would this not help polish to last longer?

Yes I am sure it would. Are you saying that it would be better to omit the buffing and go straight to applying polish straight from gentle koala buffed and scrubfreshed?

This would be ok to do.. and as a rule this is what I do when I do a straight forward file and polish or mini manicure. When I do a full manicure I always buff the nails after koala and scrubfresh then I scrubfresh again after buffing with chosen buffer before applying polish.

Yes I am sure it would. Are you saying that it would be better to omit the buffing and go straight to applying polish straight from gentle koala buffed and scrubfreshed?

Yes, thats exactly what I mean. (we got there in the end! :lol: )

When I do a full manicure I always buff the nails after koala and scrubfresh then I scrubfresh again after buffing with chosen buffer before applying polish.

But in doing that doesn't it take away from the effectiveness of removing the shine with the koala in the first place??

its not always about the surface shine. the best idea i have is make sure you push back the cuticles and cut only what is dead skin. that extra dead skin stimulates oils and makes the nail plate slick which makes the nail polish chip faster, and then depending on what else they do with their nails themselves you know? also, polish the very tip of the free edge so that will buy you at least 2 more days.

I think you may have a point there tickle. I'm going to try it on myself tomorrow and see what happens. I've been using a rubberised base coat by Orly called 'Bonder' and I've found it's quite good.

Wouldn't applying polish straight onto a 'prepped' show up any tiny scratches though? I'll find out tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.

What I mean is if I refrained from high-gloss buffing, used scrubfresh to remove oils then use the rough (240?) side of a koala buffer to remove the surface shine, then re-wipe again with scrubfresh just before polishing, would this not help polish to last longer?

Hope I'm making sense. :)
I was taught to prep for polish the same as if prepping for enhancements.

You should just "squeak" the nail with polish remover to make sure it is an oil free base to work on.

No need for removing surface shine with a buffer as you would with normal prep - in fact if the nail plate is not naturally shiney and you have a good enhancement product then buffing is not always necessary then either and your Scrubfresh, or equivalent, can do the job perfectly well.

After all you don't want your client to take off their polish and the natural nail is left with a slightly rough surface -don't think they'd be too pleased. But then I don't buff to a high gloss either! :lol:

hi

personally i dont think polish requires the same type of surface to adhere to as acrylic does, its a completely different product with different properties, i think as long as you wipe with polish remover prior to base coat etc that will do the job. of course it also depends on the clients nails as to how long the polish stays on and what they do with them!!!

applying THIN layers of polish last MUCH longer than thicker ones and a good TOP COAT is an absolute must (even if using slightly cheaper polish) - 2 coats of top coat works well for me

hth

xxxxx

I only use the koala when I am doing a manicure if my client has ridges or a very uneven nail surface. I gently swipe in the direction of the nail growth and this often just takes off the sharpness of the ridge without layers of nail plate with it. I then use ridge filler after buffing with my glosser buffer and swiping with scrubfresh to remove any dust.

When my clients return for their next appointment their nails are back to pre-treatment condition and I start over again lol!

If a client has regular manicures, (2 weeks) I only buff new growth, or every 2nd or 3rd mani (depending on growth), before I paint I use hydrofresh/scrubfresh to dehydrate the nail surface ready for polish, this must be done very thoroughly as I have just massaged and majorly moisturised her hands and nails.

Latest posts

Back